United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Food and Drink
Closed Thread

Unread 25-08-2020, 01:15 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark
Just proving a point I have no stake in.
You haven’t proved any point, RIC said smoking is “more unequivocally harmful” not that it kills more people a year.

Unread 25-08-2020, 01:19 AM
measlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
You haven’t proved any point, RIC said smoking is “more unequivocally harmful” not that it kills more people a year.
Being dead is fairly harmful tbf.

Unread 25-08-2020, 01:32 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Very droll.

Unread 25-08-2020, 06:05 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Hmmmm. I’m going to try not to drink at home so much but going out is f***ing class and everyone should be doing more of it.
This is me. Never have drink in the house now but the FOMO is off the scale when it comes to going in a boozer. The problem I'm finding now though is that because I'll not have had a drink all week, the minute I hit the pub I'm proper binge drinking.

Unread 25-08-2020, 07:24 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Week without booze and sleep is world class

Unread 25-08-2020, 07:41 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
I’d say dying is. The being dead bit is quite easy.

Unread 25-08-2020, 09:44 AM
elhombre

12 hours in - feeling good so far.

Unread 25-08-2020, 09:46 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
12 hours in - feeling good so far.
Stay strong pal. You know where I am etc

Unread 25-08-2020, 09:47 AM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Stay strong pal. You know where I am etc
7 days - that's all i need. and i will be fine for the duration.

Work starts next week, so i'll have plenty to keep me occupied.

Unread 25-08-2020, 09:50 AM
believe

Quote:
BTW - i know alcohol isn't great and i'd be better without it, but the job i do and the life i have means i am stressed a fair bit. alcohol helps me chill out. i don't get hammered, but it's not good to rely on it.
Quote:
7 days - that's all i need. and i will be fine for the duration.

Work starts next week, so i'll have plenty to keep me occupied.
Make your mind up ffs. It's like having a conversation with my missus.

Unread 25-08-2020, 10:26 AM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Make your mind up ffs. It's like having a conversation with my missus.
i know what i mean

Unread 25-08-2020, 10:36 AM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Smoking is far more unequivocally harmful, though.
what about all the lives ruined because of alcohol? parents dying young, domestic abuse, poverty, violence on nights out etc?

Unread 25-08-2020, 11:04 AM
measlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
what about all the lives ruined because of alcohol? parents dying young, domestic abuse, poverty, violence on nights out etc?
Alcohol is more harmful (was just bored last night). Smoking kills more but they are older, if you looked at YLL alcohol is worse. Plus all the other shit you mentioned.

Still love it though.

Unread 25-08-2020, 06:41 PM
red in cumbria

Alcohol *in moderation* isn't harmful and may even be marginally beneficial. Pretty much any amount of tobacco smoking has potentially negative effects.

(I've known people who only smoked for a relatively short time, and gave up even decades ago, still get cancer and other chronic ailments because of it)

Unread 26-08-2020, 01:40 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
25th day off it today. Was aiming for a month, which I’ll do no problem, but tempted to extend it.

Just finished reading this. f*** me. Highly recommended if you never want to drink again but I’m basically trying to forget half of it.

Great recommend. Pretty harrowing (sobering?) stuff but i've stuck with it and am about halfway through. Was gonna pretty much knock it on the head after the fairly ridiculous month or two at the height of the lockdown, and this has just reinforced the decision. Won't quit completely, but gone are the days of having a a beer every night.

Quote:
Alcohol *in moderation* isn't harmful
Incorrect

Quote:
and may even be marginally beneficial.
Also incorrect. Slightly reduced chance of kidney cancer is about your lot, but weighed against the increase of a lot of other cancers, diseases and various nasty shit means it can't really be classed as 'beneficial'

Not sure why this either/or discussion started it's utterly pointless. Both tobacco and alcohol have hugely detrimental health effects to varying degrees. And they are both perfectly legal yet cannabis isn't

Unread 26-08-2020, 02:00 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Great recommend. Pretty harrowing (sobering?) stuff but i've stuck with it and am about halfway through. Was gonna pretty much knock it on the head after the fairly ridiculous month or two at the height of the lockdown, and this has just reinforced the decision. Won't quit completely, but gone are the days of having a a beer every night.

Incorrect

Also incorrect. Slightly reduced chance of kidney cancer is about your lot, but weighed against the increase of a lot of other cancers, diseases and various nasty shit means it can't really be classed as 'beneficial'

Not sure why this either/or discussion started it's utterly pointless. Both tobacco and alcohol have hugely detrimental health effects to varying degrees. And they are both perfectly legal yet cannabis isn't
Have you not seen this documentary on the evil weed?

Unread 28-08-2020, 07:09 PM
est.1878

Easy peasy this when the weather's cack

Unread 28-08-2020, 07:29 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Easy peasy this when the weather's cack
4 days here. all good so far. even got two ice cold bottles of Peroni in the fridge. not even tempted.

Unread 28-08-2020, 08:03 PM
est.1878

Quote:
4 days here. all good so far. even got two ice cold bottles of Peroni in the fridge. not even tempted.

The hard parts been done for me, last week...

Unread 28-08-2020, 08:49 PM
Mr_Ed

Last week on it.. raging IBS, the shits and a bad head. I’m looking forward to it.. (my month off)
Closed Thread