United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Food and Drink
Closed Thread

Unread 24-08-2020, 04:31 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
Just had for the first time in years a hankering for a hot chocolate. Daughter made me one. Is lovely.
Regularly have one after my weekend soak in the bath. I agree, they are ace

Unread 24-08-2020, 07:23 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
just read the free 25 page preview and that was enough.

apparently, if alcohol was invented today, it wouldn't pass the food standards tests and would be banned

Unread 24-08-2020, 07:29 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
just read the free 25 page preview and that was enough.

apparently, if alcohol was invented today, it wouldn't pass the food standards tests and would be banned
but then you look at the russians and these nomadic tribes in northern and eastern europe and they live to bonkers ages and are addled all the time. The Scandinavians are puddled when it comes to drinking.

My grandad was on the gargle all the time and drank like a fish - lived to 85.

There was a Japanese distance runner years ago who did his long runs on a Sunday and when he finished he'd ritually get mortal - and he was an elite athlete.

It's odd.

Unread 24-08-2020, 07:31 PM
MUFC One Love

I'm in. Genuinely having a rest from it. Early target is to United's first game but I may extend it.

If I'm serious about running I need to do it. It also gets me down easily now so I'll be glad to be off it. More to life than booze at weekend isn't there?

Just got my puppy today too so that will help. Keep me busy.

Unread 24-08-2020, 07:42 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
I'm in. Genuinely having a rest from it. Early target is to United's first game but I may extend it.

If I'm serious about running I need to do it. It also gets me down easily now so I'll be glad to be off it. More to life than booze at weekend isn't there?

Just got my puppy today too so that will help. Keep me busy.
alcohol is a killer in that respect, as you get older.

i ran my fastest ever marathon on average training and a booze filled lifestyle at the age of 28.... (2hrs 56). at 40, the changes i'd need to make would blow my mind, but to run fast again the booze would have to go. it makes you bloated and also really stiffens the muscles and the body. but it's easy to say...

Unread 24-08-2020, 07:50 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
but then you look at the russians and these nomadic tribes in northern and eastern europe and they live to bonkers ages and are addled all the time. The Scandinavians are puddled when it comes to drinking.

My grandad was on the gargle all the time and drank like a fish - lived to 85.

There was a Japanese distance runner years ago who did his long runs on a Sunday and when he finished he'd ritually get mortal - and he was an elite athlete.

It's odd.
it's strange how it affects different people in different ways. i suppose it's like smoking in that respect.

it is mental that we willingly pour what amounts to flavoured posion down our throats for fun though, and pay for the privilege to do so.

fully aboard the temperance train after this weekend

Unread 24-08-2020, 07:53 PM
elhombre

Quote:
it's strange how it affects different people in different ways. i suppose it's like smoking in that respect.

it is mental that we willingly pour what amounts to flavoured posion down our throats for fun though, and pay for the privilege to do so.

fully aboard the temperance train after this weekend
BTW - i know alcohol isn't great and i'd be better without it, but the job i do and the life i have means i am stressed a fair bit. alcohol helps me chill out. i don't get hammered, but it's not good to rely on it.

Unread 24-08-2020, 07:55 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
alcohol is a killer in that respect, as you get older.

i ran my fastest ever marathon on average training and a booze filled lifestyle at the age of 28.... (2hrs 56). at 40, the changes i'd need to make would blow my mind, but to run fast again the booze would have to go. it makes you bloated and also really stiffens the muscles and the body. but it's easy to say...
Yep.

In my 20s a bit of exercise could keep it off. Not anymore. I'm just getting nowhere because of the booze.

Unread 24-08-2020, 08:03 PM
est.1878

Quote:

It's odd.
In he spirit, erm in keeping, with the thread I propose he would have been world champion without the sesh's.

A very decent seeding roll call btw. First weeks the hard part then easy Street yeah?

Unread 24-08-2020, 08:07 PM
Knockers

Hmmmm. I’m going to try not to drink at home so much but going out is f***ing class and everyone should be doing more of it.

Unread 24-08-2020, 08:20 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Hmmmm. I’m going to try not to drink at home so much but going out is f***ing class and everyone should be doing more of it.
Hi Boris.

Unread 24-08-2020, 09:13 PM
Long tongue phooey

Mr Fitzpatriks Dandelion & Burdock cordial lovely stuff both hot and cold.

Unread 24-08-2020, 09:57 PM
armchair

Lemon and ginger tea. I gave up caffeine a while back, although I do sometimes like a green tea in the morning. Don't drink normal tea or coffee. .

Unread 24-08-2020, 10:10 PM
Jethro

Cleaned out my grinder and had no idea how much kief had gathered. Not opened it in two years Anyway, decarbed it and made a wavy milk. Nice evening Lapsang. Taste is surprisingly nice.

Unread 24-08-2020, 11:19 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Smoking is far more unequivocally harmful, though.

Unread 24-08-2020, 11:30 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
It isn’t though.

Unread 25-08-2020, 12:14 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
It isn't

Unread 25-08-2020, 12:49 AM
measlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
It isn't
Alcohol causes 2.3 million deaths per year, smoking 6 million.

https://www.who.int/nmh/publications...ry_en.pdf?ua=1

Unread 25-08-2020, 12:53 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark
Alcohol causes 2.3 million deaths per year, smoking 6 million.

https://www.who.int/nmh/publications...ry_en.pdf?ua=1
f***ing hell, here he is

Unread 25-08-2020, 01:02 AM
measlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
f***ing hell, here he is
Just proving a point I have no stake in.
Closed Thread