United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic
Closed Thread

Unread 03-02-2010, 10:26 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Default Paris

Off there tomorrow for work and it looks a real f***er to get around.

Do the frenchies speak english at the stations etc as I only know how to say hello and my name is.

Unread 03-02-2010, 10:27 AM
forzagarza

Default Re: Paris

They do at the police station so you'll be fine.

Unread 03-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2

Do the frenchies speak english at the stations etc as I only know how to say hello and my name is.
Yes and there are english speaking staff on the metro as well.

All the ticket machines are multilingual, but avoid the touts who will try to sell you metro tickets, they are easy to spot.

btw, the metro is easy once you know the system.

Unread 03-02-2010, 10:29 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
Yes and there are english speaking staff on the metro as well.

All the ticket machines are multilingual, but avoid the touts who will try to sell you metro tickets, they are easy to spot.
touts selling metro tickets..ffs

Unread 03-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
touts selling metro tickets..ffs
They think that you are stupid because you are a foreigner.... I wonder who they copied that from

Unread 03-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Albert Tatlock

This is pretty upto date

http://www.atkielski.com/PDF/data/ParMetro.pdf

Unread 03-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Skag Trendy

Quote:

Took the bird a few years back and stayed at one of the Disney hotels(not recommended as its the furthest metro stop to the centre of Paris.

We kinda got lost in the Metro at centre of Paris and couldnt find anyone that spoke english or at least let on that they did.

Unread 03-02-2010, 10:40 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Whilst I am a big fan of the French it is my experience that Parisians are mostly tw*ts. As an Englishman they will pretend not to understand you when they do so the best thing to do is hit them with your passport. HTH helps.

Unread 03-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skag Trendy
Took the bird a few years back and stayed at one of the Disney hotels(not recommended as its the furthest metro stop to the centre of Paris.

We kinda got lost in the Metro at centre of Paris and couldnt find anyone that spoke english or at least let on that they did.
Thats the problem with the arrogant froggies, they expect everyone to speak french in Paris, I mean if you went into the Albert and ordered,

Un verre de vos plus beaux chaude pisse barman s'il vous plaît

They'd know exacty what you wanted

Unread 03-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Lok

It's an absolute piece of piss. You don't need to speak any French.

There's a handy route planner here: http://www.ratp.info/touristes/index.php?langue=en. Just make sure you take note of the line and the direction, you can't go wrong.

When you get there, just buy a carnet of tickets of ticket t+ (€11,60). You'll get 10 little tickets, each one good for a single journey on the train or metro (in central Paris). Don't bother with the Paris Visite pass, it's a rip off.

There's stations near most of the major attractions. It's a very good system and is very reliable, shits all over the London Underground, New York Subway etc...

Unread 03-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Pete's Shoes

Quote:

Are you goin with the Mrs or for work Scholesy? It's an old cliche but the French are far more inclined to help you if you at least try to hit em with a bit of French however basic. Great city.

Unread 03-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
Whilst I am a big fan of the French it is my experience that Parisians are mostly tw*ts. As an Englishman they will pretend not to understand you when they do so the best thing to do is hit them with your passport. HTH helps.
You would be surprised how many expat Brits pretend that they don't speak English when approached by one of their countrymen. Happened to me when I first moved to Germany. Was in Ikea buying some funiture and overheared some obviously british people talking. I approached them and politely asked if they knew where the bedding section was... They only replied in German, which I didn't speak then. As they walked away I heard them switch back to English. I thought c***s....

Several years on however I find myself doing the same thing sometimes...

Unread 03-02-2010, 10:51 AM
forzagarza

When in France you should really try one of their ham and cheese baguettes. They really are amazing and sum up the difference in French and British food.

Unread 03-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Zorg

Parisians are total c***s. They will do anything to make your day more difficult.

Paris, on the other hand, is ace, and the metro system is a doddle.

Unread 03-02-2010, 10:59 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Parisians are total c***s. They will do anything to make your day more difficult.

Paris, on the other hand, is ace, and the metro system is a doddle.
when i went to france a few years ago i had cause to ask for directions in london on the underground and in paris on the metro.

the cockney c*** i asked was a totally and deliberately unhelpful c***. i tried the only french i knew on le frog and they were fine and helpful.

i concluded that c***s the french may be but c**kernees are the kings of all c***s.

Unread 03-02-2010, 11:04 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete's Shoes
Are you goin with the Mrs or for work Scholesy? It's an old cliche but the French are far more inclined to help you if you at least try to hit em with a bit of French however basic. Great city.
Work, I do know some basics but the problem would be grasping the answers

Unread 03-02-2010, 11:10 AM
programmes?

"Mais, le sange est dans l'arbre" is all you need to know.

Unread 03-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by programmes?
"Mais, le sange est dans l'arbre" is all you need to know.
The blood is in the tree?!?

Unread 03-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Pete's Shoes

Quote:
Work, I do know some basics but the problem would be grasping the answers
You'll be fine mate. Head to La Pigalle if you're bored at night!

Unread 03-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Albert Tatlock

Closed Thread