United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-10-2020, 03:27 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
The pair of them are average as £#%&!.

Mind you lot don't go back and watch any videos of Scholes and Keane in their prime, you'll have a £#%&!ing heart attack.
Liverpool won the league by a thousand points with Hendo, Milner and Oxlade £#%&!ing Chamberlain.

Keane and Scholes are gone mate, move on.

Unread 22-10-2020, 03:33 AM
bosskeano

Quote:
The pair of them are average as f***.

Mind you lot don't go back and watch any videos of Scholes and Keane in their prime, you'll have a f***ing heart attack.
don't need to go back and watch videos of scholes and keane in their prime as i remember them but you're talking about two of the best midfielders ever not only for United but also in the Prem. Comparing fred and mcT to them is rather an unfair comparison.

these two guys ahve a massively different role to play for the club than keane and scholes

Unread 22-10-2020, 05:43 AM
Slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosskeano
it's no coincidence that United went on that long unbeaten run when Fred and McT were the two main CM's in the side. They are willing to work their socks off defensively and get the ball to the guys who can punish teams on the ball.

Ole has to stick with these guys especially in the big games
Definitely, Seen.

Unread 22-10-2020, 05:52 AM
puressence

Quote:
The pair of them are average as £#%&!.

Mind you lot don't go back and watch any videos of Scholes and Keane in their prime, you'll have a £#%&!ing heart attack.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Unread 22-10-2020, 09:21 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
don't need to go back and watch videos of scholes and keane in their prime as i remember them but you're talking about two of the best midfielders ever not only for United but also in the Prem. Comparing fred and mcT to them is rather an unfair comparison.

these two guys ahve a massively different role to play for the club than keane and scholes
They’re central midfield.

That’s literally the exact same role.

Unread 22-10-2020, 09:34 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:

who in the modern game is at their level out of interest?

Unread 22-10-2020, 09:47 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:

That's a bit disingenuous; I would class neither Fred nor MEHKTOMINEH as box to box (as Keane was) or a number 10 like Scholes. There are obviously different roles within midfield, especially in todays game.

If you want comparisons I'd argue Bruno is much closer to both in terms of skill and drive.

Unread 22-10-2020, 09:49 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
That's a bit disingenuous; I would class neither Fred nor MEHKTOMINEH as box to box (as Keane was) or a number 10 like Scholes. There are obviously different roles within midfield, especially in todays game.

If you want comparisons I'd argue Bruno is much closer to both in terms of skill and drive.
It is.

but whilst scholes and keane is an extreme example, it only serves to illustrate my overall point which is that The Scottish Player and fred aren't the answer.

Unread 22-10-2020, 10:28 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
It is.

but whilst scholes and keane is an extreme example, it only serves to illustrate my overall point which is that The Scottish Player and fred aren't the answer.
The answer to what? You're comparing 2 of the best midfielders of all time from one of the most succesfull teams of all time to Fred and The Scottish Player? It's a nonsense comparison and you're just going to end up in tears if you keep trying to compare any of the current squad to that one. Different era different situation.

fwiw Fred and The Scottish Player work their socks off and have a reasonable amount of ability - they are exactly the kind of player that the '99 squad was built around (Butt, P Nev etc). Do we need a higher class of first team player? Sure we do - more players like Fernandes. Telles looks excellent. Rashford and Martial will continue to fire with good players behind them. VDB will be integrated into the side. Some great youngsters are coming through.

Chins up ffs.

Unread 22-10-2020, 10:29 AM
browser

Quote:

Unread 22-10-2020, 10:32 AM
jem

the question to which fred/mctog is the answer is not "who is better... keane/scholes or fred/mctog?"; it is "who is better....fred/mctog or that @#%&! pogba and anyone else?"

Unread 22-10-2020, 10:55 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
the question to which fred/mctog is the answer is not "who is better... keane/scholes or fred/mctog?"; it is "who is better....fred/mctog or that @#%&! pogba and anyone else?"
Correct.

See what you've done sparky? Made me agree with jem. Now I have to go shower.

Unread 22-10-2020, 12:46 PM
utd99

Quote:
It is.

I’m not sure if this is a wind up, or a troll, or whether you really believe this, but ok, i’ll bite. I’m not sure if you know anything about The Scottish Player’s past, but he was an extremely late developer. He wasn’t a Rashford or Greenwood type, ready for first team action at 18, in fact the biggest doubts about him at 17 were size - he was really small. He lost three years to injury just growing.

He’s only been what you would call a regular for just over a year. His attitude is great and he’s learning his trade. If you haven’t seen enough really good performances from him by now to be at least optimistic then I don’t know what you’re watching. I don’t know whether he’ll reach his full potential, none of us ever do with young players, but from what I see his top side is immense. His attitude is something we should be looking for from all our players.

Regardless, this is who we are and this is what we do; we bring young players through and we give them a proper chance. You can’t say you like our history with the academy then want nothing to do with what it takes to develop graduates. It’s easy to forget the Co92 had their pony periods early on and they came into a much better side. If this site were around then you’d have had people calling for all of them to be tinned at one time or another.

Unread 22-10-2020, 01:02 PM
LaPaz

Good post

Unread 22-10-2020, 01:25 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I’m not sure if this is a wind up, or a troll, or whether you really believe this, but ok, i’ll bite. I’m not sure if you know anything about The Scottish Player’s past, but he was an extremely late developer. He wasn’t a Rashford or Greenwood type, ready for first team action at 18, in fact the biggest doubts about him at 17 were size - he was really small. He lost three years to injury just growing.

He’s only been what you would call a regular for just over a year. His attitude is great and he’s learning his trade. If you haven’t seen enough really good performances from him by now to be at least optimistic then I don’t know what you’re watching. I don’t know whether he’ll reach his full potential, none of us ever do with young players, but from what I see his top side is immense. His attitude is something we should be looking for from all our players.

Regardless, this is who we are and this is what we do; we bring young players through and we give them a proper chance. You can’t say you like our history with the academy then want nothing to do with what it takes to develop graduates. It’s easy to forget the Co92 had their pony periods early on and they came into a much better side. If this site were around then you’d have had people calling for all of them to be tinned at one time or another.
Post.

He's come a long way from Mehtominay and it's a joy to see.

Fred on the other hand blows hot and cold but he's very useful when deployed in the way he was on Tuesday night.

Unread 22-10-2020, 02:15 PM
bosskeano

Quote:

that's like saying Gerrard and Milner are the exact same role or Viera and Xhaka are the exact same role because they play in the middle

hell...scholes and keane had completely different roles within the same team just like McT and Fred have completely different roles than Bruno or Pogba

they are tasked to protect the two CB's , try to kill counter attacks and help win the ball back quickly so guys like martial, rashford, greenwood and Bruno can attack with a bit more freedom knowing those 2 are behind them looking to defend. Quite honestly it's a thankless task for those two guys as they typically have to cover every blade of grass so those 4 guys can go score goals.

Unread 22-10-2020, 02:46 PM
LaPaz

Quote:
that's like saying Gerrard and Milner are the exact same role or Viera and Xhaka are the exact same role because they play in the middle

hell...scholes and keane had completely different roles within the same team just like McT and Fred have completely different roles than Bruno or Pogba

they are tasked to protect the two CB's , try to kill counter attacks and help win the ball back quickly so guys like martial, rashford, greenwood and Bruno can attack with a bit more freedom knowing those 2 are behind them looking to defend. Quite honestly it's a thankless task for those two guys as they typically have to cover every blade of grass so those 4 guys can go score goals.
Good point and much as I admire Parl Scholes he wasn't a defensive MF and the way he tackled would have struggled in that role.

Unread 22-10-2020, 02:51 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPaz
Good point and much as I admire Parl Scholes he wasn't a defensive MF and the way he tackled would have struggled in that role.

Unread 22-10-2020, 03:00 PM
bosskeano

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPaz

make sure to have your volume on but not too loud....

Unread 22-10-2020, 03:22 PM
LaPaz

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQqyA7bEyxQ

make sure to have your volume on but not too loud....
Closed Thread