United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 24-10-2020, 07:40 PM
bosskeano

look at the results when those 3 start as a group....that should tell you i know exactly what the term well means when speaking about them as a group of mids not individually

Unread 24-10-2020, 07:41 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
He should be getting sub minutes bare minimum.
Isn’t today the first time he hasn’t?

The only thing that bothered me today was how long it took to get Greenwood on. I’d have chucked him on before Pogba.

Unread 24-10-2020, 07:42 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
He isn’t getting up and down the touchline or holding the LW position, is he? He was second choice to Grealish, apparently, who is far more of a winger type than DvdB.

Ole clearly prefers this 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2, which van der Beek fits into either as a 8 or a 10. Bruno has the 10 nailed and Pogba started in possession of the 8, which he was relieved of following the Spurs debacle, clearly they don’t feel DvdB could offer what Fred and McT can in that role just yet.

I think he’ll be a very good and important player for us and will force his way in, no doubt it’s a different level to last year in Holland though..
We don’t have to break up the The Scottish Player Fred partnership if we feel it protects the back four. You think VdB couldn’t play in a narrower three behind a nine? He came on v Newcastle at 1-1 and we immediately looked better.

Unread 24-10-2020, 07:42 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
Do you know what 'well' means?

Unread 24-10-2020, 07:45 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
We don’t have to break up the The Scottish Player Fred partnership if we feel it protects the back four. You think VdB couldn’t play in a narrower three behind a nine? He came on v Newcastle at 1-1 and we immediately looked better.
So you want to change the formation and game-plan to fit him in?

Unread 24-10-2020, 07:47 PM
utd99

Quote:
So you want to change the formation and game-plan to fit him in?
Not just him, but yes, our better players. Players win games mate, not game plans or formations.

Unread 24-10-2020, 07:47 PM
armchair

I think we planned to have pogba gone in the summer.

Unread 24-10-2020, 07:49 PM
dunk

Quote:
Not just him, but yes, our better players. Players win games mate, not game plans or formations.
So how come managers get sacked when the best players are on the pitch flailing?

Unread 24-10-2020, 07:52 PM
utd99

Quote:
So how come managers get sacked when the best players are on the pitch flailing?
How can I answer that question? It could be a thousand different reasons. Game plans, tactics and formations only exist to the degree that the players on the pitch can execute them. I’m sure Dan James doesn’t take the field with the explicit instruction not to create anything.

Unread 24-10-2020, 07:56 PM
dunk

Quote:
How can I answer that question? It could be a thousand different reasons. Game plans, tactics and formations only exist to the degree that the players on the pitch can execute them. I’m sure Dan James doesn’t take the field with the explicit instruction not to create anything.
No, but I’m sure there are instructions he had and followed, otherwise he wouldn’t be picked. The idea that you just throw your ‘best’ players on the pitch and they play is flawed at best.

I doubt they expected Chelsea to play a flat back 7 and were expecting some space in behind James for James tbh.

Unread 24-10-2020, 08:00 PM
utd99

Quote:
No, but I’m sure there are instructions he had and followed, otherwise he wouldn’t be picked.

I doubt they expected Chelsea to play a flat back 7 and were expecting some space in behind James for James tbh.
We can guess why he’s been picked; Solskjaer was clearly not happy with the work rate of others recently and James certainly gives you that, but as a wide forward player he’s also expected to create chances, set up goals and score, so clearly that’s a tactic that’s failing because the player we picked can’t do it.

Players win games, not plans.

Unread 24-10-2020, 08:01 PM
The Stella Fella

Quote:
He does pal. According to some on here Shaw is ordered never to cross into the box

Unread 24-10-2020, 08:01 PM
Ethers

Quote:
I think it’s a bit of everything, but I think as a general rule, certainly when you’re not playing particularly fantastic football - ‘get your best players on the pitch’ is worth a go.

Unread 24-10-2020, 08:02 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
I think it’s a bit of everything, but I think as a general rule, certainly when you’re not playing particularly fantastic football - ‘get your best players on the pitch’ is worth a go.
Worth a shot, weve tried Dan run dead fast James FFS

Unread 24-10-2020, 08:04 PM
utd99

Quote:
And managers are paid what they are to solve just that problem. No formation or plan should require you to downgrade the ability on the pitch because in the most key moments that’s what wins games.

Unread 24-10-2020, 08:04 PM
dunk

Quote:
Again, I’d say our ‘best’ players were on the pitch against Spurs and Palace and Brighton for that matter.

Unread 24-10-2020, 08:57 PM
Stickman

Nothing to see here!

Unread 24-10-2020, 09:45 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Pretty clear they wanted rid of the #@&%! isn't it?

Covid £#%&!ed them.

Quote:
Again, I’d say our ‘best’ players were on the pitch against Spurs and Palace and Brighton for that matter.
Yep. The balance isn't there with them. Ole Is clearly stabilising the ship to get results/save his job.

Get it settled and the attackers will do their thing wr couldn't go on after them first 3 games. Wide open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Get a manager with a clue in, we might see the best of this lad.
Lampard? Which Chelsea player?

Unread 25-10-2020, 07:42 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
That would make sense.

Unread 26-10-2020, 02:34 PM
bosskeano

he will play a big role for the club this season....press needs to lay off, we've only played 6 or 7 matches up to this point. FFS.