United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Sparky***

Default Chelsea sell Robben to Real Madrid for £24 million..

...On SSN now.

Not bad considering they paid, what £12mil for him?

Unread 22-08-2007, 10:12 PM
TreeFiddy

It's not like it matters if Chelsea get lots of money since they've got an unlimited amount to spend if they choose to do so. So all that matters is that a good player has left Chelsea. Good news if you ask me.

Unread 22-08-2007, 10:18 PM
£#%&! KFC

they paid £17m for him but still good business for the diving cheating injury prone @#%&!

Unread 22-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
It's not like it matters if Chelsea get lots of money since they've got an unlimited amount to spend if they choose to do so. So all that matters is that a good player has left Chelsea. Good news if you ask me.
Spot on!

Good news for chelseas rivals.

Unread 22-08-2007, 10:21 PM
legendary saf

Great news.

Unread 22-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Whatever

great business imho as Robben would never be the same player as he was in the Prem. One too many hard tackles caused him to be far too scared to get hurt again

Unread 22-08-2007, 10:43 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever
great business imho as Robben would never be the same player as he was in the Prem. One too many hard tackles caused him to be far too scared to get hurt again
What do you mean by 'great business'?

Why would the 'business' side of things matter to a club whose owner is worth £#%&! knows how many billion pounds?

Unread 22-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
What do you mean by 'great business'?

Why would the 'business' side of things matter to a club whose owner is worth £#%&! knows how many billion pounds?
because he's decided not to be so flash with his cash hasn't he? Just because an owner has billions, doesn't mean the club inherits that money.

£24m for a player who's habitually injured and is scared of the Prem is good business regardless of wealth

Unread 22-08-2007, 10:52 PM
penguin1

Default Is it just me......

...or is Robben hopelessly overrated ?

Unread 22-08-2007, 10:55 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin1
it's you.

he's a very good player.

Unread 22-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin1
great player. But will never reproduce his form in the Premiership therefore wasted over here. I'm sure he'll do well at Real where the refs will protect him and he doesn't have to play Blackburn on a cold wed night

Unread 22-08-2007, 11:06 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
because he's decided not to be so flash with his cash hasn't he? Just because an owner has billions, doesn't mean the club inherits that money.

£24m for a player who's habitually injured and is scared of the Prem is good business regardless of wealth
The way I see it is that if Chelsea want to spend big on a player they will do regardless of what money they've made from selling players. Mourinho has spent plenty and a bit more money for him will just be like a drop in the ocean. Therefore, the money side of the transfer is somewhat irrelevant and I'm just pleased that they've lost a good player.

Unread 22-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Serenity Now

In his first season at Chelsea he was excellent. He just couldn't handle being kicked, which (in my opinion, unfortunately) is what flair players have to deal with in England.

The same thing happened to Reyes after that semi-final at Villa Park. Once defenders know that a player can be intimidated by physical tactics they will be merciless.

The ability to cope with those kinds of tactics one of the things that separates Ronaldo from the likes of Robben. When Ronaldo tempts a defender into fouling him he usually has a grin on his face and just wants the ball again so that he can make them stupid once more.

Robben, on the other hand, looks aggrieved and ends up shrinking away from physical confrontations.

Unread 22-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
In his first season at Chelsea he was excellent. He just couldn't handle being kicked, which (in my opinion, unfortunately) is what flair players have to deal with in England.

The same thing happened to Reyes after that semi-final at Villa Park. Once defenders know that a player can be intimidated by physical tactics they will be merciless.

The ability to cope with those kinds of tactics one of the things that separates Ronaldo from the likes of Robben. When Ronaldo tempts a defender into fouling him he usually has a grin on his face and just wants the ball again so that he can make them stupid once more.

Robben, on the other hand, looks aggrieved and ends up shrinking away from physical confrontations.
Depends on how many big injuries Ronaldo gets as to if he keeps grinning while getting fouled. He already admitted he was wound up against Portsmouth because of persistent fouling

Unread 22-08-2007, 11:15 PM
Whalefish

I still say they'll miss him. Malouda is an effective wide player but is comparatively dull. There were times when Robben would make me sit up and take notice. I don't care who he played for but I like that in a player, especially wingers.

He'll do well in Spain IMO but I'm not sure how Madrid will pan out this season. Their 'transfer policy' this Sumer, like many in the past, has been a bit erratic.

Unread 22-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Camel

shit news, the alves transfer will defo go through now.

Unread 22-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Depends on how many big injuries Ronaldo gets as to if he keeps grinning while getting fouled. He already admitted he was wound up against Portsmouth because of persistent fouling
That's a fair point, but the bottom line is that Ronaldo has been kicked from day one and it hasn't stopped him thus far. That seems to be his character. To me, Robben has never showed that.

The same with Reyes, as soon as it began to happen to him he didn't look half the player.

Having said that, there's no doubt that the intimidation will reach another level after Ronaldo's performances last season. And if he shows that this works, like he did against Portsmouth, it will only get worse.

And as you say, if these tactics start to result in serious injuries he might not respond in such a positive way.

Unread 22-08-2007, 11:32 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
He'll do well in Spain IMO but I'm not sure how Madrid will pan out this season. Their 'transfer policy' this Sumer, like many in the past, has been a bit erratic.
If they play both Robinho and Robben as wingers, they could be a very exciting unit to watch. Even more so with Wesley Sneijder braking from midfield!

Going by the Supercopa the other day, they'll need him

Unread 22-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Somebody up there ^ said something that makes sense!!!

Wibble

Unread 22-08-2007, 11:53 PM
£#%&! KFC

two moaning bastard Dutchman in the £#%&!pigs dressing room now though.....
Closed Thread