Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-03-2019, 12:39 PM
dunk

Cool Robbo..

What a player.

Unread 22-03-2019, 12:42 PM
Jethro

Have the player card framed that he signed with best wishes to me and my wife before our first was born. Toppest of the top reds

Unread 22-03-2019, 01:15 PM
Hands of Scone

Loved him. One of the all time greats. Deserved better around him.

1000x the player of any midfielder playing today.

Unread 22-03-2019, 01:28 PM
naes_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Have the player card framed that he signed with best wishes to me and my wife before our first was born. Toppest of the top reds
He signed my first united kit gave me his best wishes too.

Unread 22-03-2019, 01:42 PM
Cream

Will always be my favourite United player.

RIP.

Unread 22-03-2019, 01:43 PM
sa7

Pancake knew...

Quote:
However, the Anfield legend is guilty of donning the United kit as a youngster, he admitted in his book “Gerrard: My Autobiography”.

The 38-year-old detailed how he once wore the shirt with England legend Bryan Robson's name on the back.

“A mate of mine owned this Robson top, the old blue-and-white one with dashes on it,” he wrote in the 2007 book.

We were kicking about on Ironside [the road he grew up on] and I asked him whether I could be Robson for a while.

“I slipped out of my Liverpool shirt, and put the Robson one on.

“It felt fantastic.

“I wore it for an hour, charging all over, flying into tackles, scoring brave goals, pretending I was Robson.

“Because the shirt had Robson’s name on it, I forgot about the United bit.

“I didn’t seem like treachery to Liverpool, more homage to an England god.”
“However, Gerrard soon realised what he had done after spotting his dad’s glaring face.

He added: “Unfortunately, dad looked out the window and went ballistic,” he continued.

“‘Get inside now!’ he screamed. Scarcely through the door, I ran into a right good grilling.

"'What the hell are you playing at, wearing a Manchester United shirt?’ he asked.

“‘But dad, it’s Bryan Robson’s shirt,’" I explained.

Unread 22-03-2019, 01:57 PM
Zorg

Thumbs up

If anyone needs me, I'll be in Holodeck 4.

Unread 22-03-2019, 01:58 PM
My Name is Heath

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg

Must spread around rep etc.

Unread 22-03-2019, 04:20 PM
windy waffles

Was too young to really appreciate him to be honest.

Unread 22-03-2019, 04:23 PM
Seamus

one of the best. He carried our team in the 80's

Unread 22-03-2019, 04:25 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Was too young to really appreciate him to be honest.
I don’t think youth has anything to do with it tbf.

Unread 22-03-2019, 04:36 PM
andyroo

Quote:

See you there pal.

Unread 22-03-2019, 04:37 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:

Unread 22-03-2019, 04:37 PM
tatty

People talk about having a weak team around him but i'd disagree with that. The squads in the 80s were solid...

Bailey
Moran
McGrath
Whiteside
Moses
Hughes
Stapleton

And the flair was there as well...

Muhren
Wilkins
Strachan
Olsen
Peter Barnes

It was just that Liverpool and Everton were better in that period.

Unread 22-03-2019, 04:39 PM
ziggyman17

My favorite player of all time.. Had everything, great passer either long or short, great shot on him, skillful, could tackle, worked his bollox off, only thing was that he was too brave for his own good, in todays game he would be unbuyable.. A proper Utd legend..

Unread 22-03-2019, 06:18 PM
Child of Darkness

Was a right arsey @#%&! to me once . Looked at me with a nasty expression Only Steve Bruce was polite .

Unread 22-03-2019, 06:21 PM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of Darkness
Was a right arsey @#%&! to me once . Looked at me with a nasty expression Only Steve Bruce was polite .
Understandable really

Unread 22-03-2019, 07:53 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
My favorite player of all time.. Had everything, great passer either long or short, great shot on him, skillful, could tackle, worked his bollox off, only thing was that he was too brave for his own good, in todays game he would be unbuyable.. A proper Utd legend..
Seriously, imagine how good he might have been if he didn't keep getting injured

Was fantastic that he stayed at United long enough to get a title medal.

Unread 22-03-2019, 08:37 PM
zanzare

When Robbo signed I had taken my nephew to try and indoctrinate him into life as a red.
Took him in the scoreboard paddock as was my normal place in those days, we made more noise than those Stretford enders cause we had a £#%&! off wooden floor that just reverberated, and we were next to the overspill if they dared to bring a lot of fans (not many did)

Instead of staying up near the bar or sitting on the wall at the side of the "radio shack" I took him right down to the front of the scoreboard paddock.
Do not recall if i knew, but most probably did, that an important signing was going to happen, pitchside.
The little lad was swinging on the fence, as kids do, when the table was placed on the pitch, tried to stop him as (memories here, not youtube) edwards and ron came out the tunnel (centre of the south stand back then) followed by some arse in a brown suit.
The whole circus happened four or five yards in front of us.
Obviously had no idea what an influence that one man could become ( he'd broken his leg twice (?) in his career before signing for us, but he was to our generation what Eric was to the 90's fans.
Remi Moses came as, to me, an afterthought. What a player that guy was.
Paul Ince, you would have shit your pants in the presence of Remi.
He would have destroyed you in a liverpool shirt, andhe was a respectful person.
Bryan Robson paid his price tag off in two games.

Everything else was a bonus

If you were there you'll understand

Got divorced i 87, didn't see the little nephew until 96. @#%&! became a shearer fan

Serves them both right.

Unread 22-03-2019, 08:50 PM
thatsfuctit

Said it before, and no doubt will do again. With Robbo in the team we could beat anyone, without him in the team, we could lose to anyone. He was so vital to us through that era, an absolute hero of mine.

Could play with the best of them, could mix it with the best of them.
Closed Thread