United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
No.

Yes Evra is a constant outlet going forward but £#%&!ing hell that's a very overrated part of his game. He has struggled with the basics of his position for 2 years now, without Vidic there there's an awful lot of pressure put on the left centre half to cover him (why Rio's been moved over) when he is either sauntering back or coming so narrow he's actually crossing them so it means a cross is deffo coming in and there's a good chance the centre half will have been dragged out of position as they have tried to block the cross/stop the play.

I any of our young fullbacks had put in the defensive performance typical of 80% of his games the last 2 years this place would have blown up.

Made numerous conscious efforts this season to observe his play as early on in the season a hell of a lot of chances and a few goals were coming from his side. Never seen a full back drop inside so often, I do not understand why he's £#%&!ing doing it or what he hopes to gain from. Pointed it to TPB numerous times in the Everton game in fact.

He's got away with it largely for the last 2 years and has only received any kind of wide spread criticism on here of late whilst numerous excuses were made on his behalf for a good while, his defensive game is not good enough as it stands, imo.

great post.

Unread 23-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Very harsh. He's as good on the ball as you'll get from a full-back, imo.

For me, the defensive deficiencies have always been there. His positional sense and reactions at times have always been suspect. But I think the whole defence suffers from the lack of cover in front of them these days. Rafael also appears much more vulnerable than he did two years ago. I don't think it's a coincidence.
Was more in terms of his final ball tbph. Have said before that he may be suffering due to the demands put on him being the only left footer so he has to be a constant outlet for whichever right footer is playing on the left. Spends an awful lot of time as a decoy so they can cut inside with the opposition fullback occupied.

Would be nice for him to have some real competition there and hopefully Vidic's return will be a positive one.

Unread 23-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
great post.
I know.

Unread 23-05-2012, 12:41 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
I know.

Unread 23-05-2012, 12:45 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbledinho
He's a cracking player, but would Evra be happy to play second fiddle?
I see him as more of a bongos man.

Quote:
Baines may be a better crosser, but I doubt he's got anything like Evra's touch or ball control. Evra's delivery isn't great, but he supports the attack with his excellent combination play, ability to keep the ball and dribble in tight areas and make clever runs in behind. I don't think Baines is anywhere near as dynamic in that sense. Although I guess given that all we do is cross it these days, maybe he's a good fit.
baines is not as good in attack or defence as evra. plus, he looks like crap.

Unread 23-05-2012, 12:47 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Was more in terms of his final ball tbph. Have said before that he may be suffering due to the demands put on him being the only left footer so he has to be a constant outlet for whichever right footer is playing on the left. Spends an awful lot of time as a decoy so they can cut inside with the opposition fullback occupied.

Would be nice for him to have some real competition there and hopefully Vidic's return will be a positive one.
I reckon any replacement/competition will likely be a step down. Get some players who can actually run in midfield and I think we'll see less defensive problems on both sides.

Unread 23-05-2012, 12:51 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Get some players who can actually run in midfield and I think we'll see less defensive problems on both sides.
Midfielders

Unread 23-05-2012, 12:53 AM
JakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Midfielders
What-ers?

Unread 23-05-2012, 12:58 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Midfielders
I know. Sorry, lost my mind for a minute there.

Unread 23-05-2012, 01:07 AM
marlo

am i missing something.

we should be signing about 5 midfielders and a striker before we even think of buying a £#%&!ing left back. thats not even the fullback position in need of a new signing..

wouldn't hurt to actually sign a player we need.

Unread 23-05-2012, 01:14 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
am i missing something.

we should be signing about 5 midfielders and a striker before we even think of buying a £#%&!ing left back. thats not even the fullback position in need of a new signing..

wouldn't hurt to actually sign a player we need.
Man like Marls

M-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
good player, great left foot, takes set pieces, sideburns and 70s hair combo

ticks all the boxes for me
Played in the 70's too.

Stickman

Evras still as dominant as he was for showing for the ball, getting on it and bringing it out of defence. But by £#%&! im sure his last really good match in a big game was Arsenal home December 2010 tbhPark.

Always been a huge fan of the guy but lets not get misty eyed here, since Rome 2009 his form has been average at best. Hardly ever blocks a cross and that Daniel Sturridge opener at Stamford Bridge earlier in the season was mind bogglingly bad stuff from him. I wouldnt bat an eyelid if he were sold, comlete liability these days and not exactly composed in the final third anyway, if his cross isnt behind all of the forwards it screams over the back of the box.

Unread 23-05-2012, 01:15 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Evras still as dominant as he was for showing for the ball, getting on it and bringing it out of defence. But by £#%&! im sure his last really good match in a big game was Arsenal home December 2010 tbhPark.
MOTM at the Emirates last season, pal.

Unread 23-05-2012, 01:24 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman

Always been a huge fan of the guy but lets not get misty eyed here, since Rome 2009 his form has been average at best. Hardly ever blocks a cross and that Daniel Sturridge opener at Stamford Bridge earlier in the season was mind bogglingly bad stuff from him. I wouldnt bat an eyelid if he were sold, comlete liability these days and not exactly composed in the final third anyway, if his cross isnt behind all of the forwards it screams over the back of the box.
All spot on.

Not stopping crosses is my biggest annoyance with him. It's such a basic job for a full back and he just stands there watching. :shakehead:

Unread 23-05-2012, 01:27 AM
Stickman

Quote:
MOTM at the Emirates last season, pal.
tbf I only saw the 2nd half of that match, it was a 3am KO and I had a course the next morning

Unread 23-05-2012, 02:24 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Very harsh. He's as good on the ball as you'll get from a full-back, imo.
He is. That's why it's so frustrating that 95% of the time, when faced with one man to beat after overlapping at speed, he puts his foot on the ball and plays a 6-yard sideways pass as everybody from the opposition catches up, or plays an aimless cross without picking his head up. He tries to burst past his man so few times now. Just a guess, but it looks to me like he's worried about making the recovery run.

Thankfully he knows better than to shoot. If he ever scores again, it will be an accident or a miracle.

Unread 23-05-2012, 07:46 AM
Tiberian

Baines is the type of fullback that Valencia absolutely destroys, not that quick or strong. He has good delivery but he is not an exceptional defender by any means. Evra is still a better player imo.

Unread 23-05-2012, 08:02 AM
KenwrightsWallet

I am being told this one is as good as done

£#%&!ing gutted

Cant wait to see Phil at left back

Unread 23-05-2012, 08:43 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Baines is the type of fullback that Valencia absolutely destroys, not that quick or strong. He has good delivery but he is not an exceptional defender by any means. Evra is still a better player imo.
ashley cole has been absolutely destroyed by valencia and baines has had good games against him, i don't think the generalisation works at all tbh.

baines is a good full back. tbph united need full backs who can defend and attack as a bonus, the last year we've had the opposite, and both evra and rafael have been at fault for plenty of goals and even more chances, it's a clear area of weakness.

evra does some storming runs with the ball but with very little end product to them, sadly.

as first-choice and back-up baines and fryers is a better pair than evra and fabio imo.
Closed Thread