United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-08-2019, 02:07 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
I'm not entirely convinced they are. We see them in a good side. We see ours in a crap one. It's hard to even compare.

Stick any one of them into that shitshow at Brighton last season, for example, and they'd look as lost as anyone.

They are also balanced. We aren't. Just a group of misfits of several managers failed attempts.

Fingers crossed we see something a little more settled and working towards a clear plan

Yep. They work their arse off.
Weren't we told Klopp burns them out with the amount of work they do? Then they're cruising through European Cup finals while our least active slugs in the entire £#%&!ing league are blowing out their arses by mid March.

Unread 03-08-2019, 02:07 PM
dunk

Quote:
I'm not entirely convinced they are. We see them in a good side. We see ours in a crap one. It's hard to even compare.

Stick any one of them into that shitshow at Brighton last season, for example, and they'd look as lost as anyone.

They are also balanced. We aren't. Just a group of misfits of several managers failed attempts.

Fingers crossed we see something a little more settled and working towards a clear plan

Yep. They work their arse off.
Nah, again, they are just better players, with the exception of Pogba. Matic may have had a shout 3 years ago, but he wasn't a United player then..

The Scottish Player, Pereira, Fred? They'd struggle to get on the bench at Liverpool on ability alone.

The Scottish Player may be good enough eventually though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Weren't we told Klopp burns them out with the amount of work they do? Then they're cruising through European Cup finals while our least active slugs in the entire £#%&!ing league are blowing out their arses by mid March.
Reckon they'll hit the wall a bit this year tbh, a stroll in the park for City I fear..

Unread 03-08-2019, 02:14 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Nah, again, they are just better players, with the exception of Pogba. Matic may have had a shout 3 years ago, but he wasn't a United player then..

The Scottish Player, Pereira, Fred? They'd struggle to get on the bench at Liverpool on ability alone.

The Scottish Player may be good enough eventually though.

Reckon they'll hit the wall a bit this year tbh, a stroll in the park for City I fear..
Ok, I'm not gonna exactly argue the case that Fred is good because he's been shite all year.

The wider point is that there is nothing special about any of them, particularly Henderson and Wijnaldum.

They work hard for a better cause and look better in a better side.

We're the opposite.

In short, we're a disgrace

Unread 03-08-2019, 02:16 PM
dunk

Quote:
Ok, I'm not gonna exactly argue the case that Fred is good because he's been shite all year.

The wider point is that there is nothing special about any of them, particularly Henderson and Wijnaldum.

They work hard for a better cause and look better in a better side.

We're the opposite.

In short, we're a disgrace
That’s the point. In spite of them being nothing special, they’re better than all but 1 of our midfielders, and he wants out

Unread 03-08-2019, 02:18 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
That’s the point. In spite of them being nothing special, they’re better than all but 1 of our midfielders, and he wants out
I think you were a little more glowing about them earlier.

And that's not nice to see on here

Unread 03-08-2019, 02:22 PM
Tiberian

Liverpools midfield group buy into the team plan, are all mobile, aggressive, cover huge ground and understand their role. They don't have glam jobs but they are extremely effective and good at what they do.

Pogba is an incredible talent who causes a ton of positional issues for all the players around him, makes it difficult create a solid structure.

Unread 03-08-2019, 02:23 PM
dunk

Quote:
I think you were a little more glowing about them earlier.

And that's not nice to see on here
Like it or not, they’re a bloody good collection of midfielders. We just like to think they’re shit.

Just like throughout the 90’s and 00’s dippers were convinced only 2 or 3 of our players would get in a combined XI of the two teams at some point you have to be honest or you’ll be deluding yourself forever. Their front 6 is an excellent collection of players, their full backs and VvD too. Piss all over us from a great height at this moment. We need to do much, much better

Unread 03-08-2019, 02:30 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Like it or not, there a bloody good collection of midfielders. We just like to think they’re shit.

Just like throughout the 90’s and 00’s dippers we’re convinced only 2 or 3 of our players would get in a combined XI of the two teams at some point you have to be honest or you’ll be deluding yourself forever. Their front6 is an excellent collection of players, their full backs and VvD too. Piss all over us from a great height at this moment. We need to do much, much better
Yeah, I think we're worlds apart on our evaluation here, Dunk.

I dont think they're bloody good.

Half of them wouldn't get into any of Europe's top sides.

I think Fabinho is good, sure. Keita CAN be good and will probably improve. He was struggling to get in their side towards the end of the season.
Wijnaldum is decent, but not special. Henderson is average. Really average.

Liverpool fans think similar too. They know none of them are that great and most I know are pissed off they haven't strengthened there. They struggle to break teams down in tight games largely because of that midfield.

They really don't like Henderson

Its workmanlike. They work well together, but its hardly Europe's elite.

And I'm talking about specifically about the midfield. The front three are excellent. As is VVD and the two full backs. I'm not arguing that.

As for the United comparison, I think our fringe players had that levelled at them, but...

Keane, Scholes, Beckham and Giggs.... do you really wanna go there?

VVD, AA, Robertson, Fabinho and all of the front three three would get in our side. Give or take.

So I'm not making that shout either.

Unread 03-08-2019, 03:09 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Like it or not, they’re a bloody good collection of midfielders. We just like to think they’re shit.

Just like throughout the 90’s and 00’s dippers were convinced only 2 or 3 of our players would get in a combined XI of the two teams at some point you have to be honest or you’ll be deluding yourself forever. Their front 6 is an excellent collection of players, their full backs and VvD too. Piss all over us from a great height at this moment. We need to do much, much better
And we've just £#%&!ed a significant amount of available funds on a player who simply isn't a patch on VvD

Unread 03-08-2019, 03:20 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
And we've just £#%&!ed a significant amount of available funds on a player who simply isn't a patch on VvD
Fun this innit

That said, other than De Ligt, there probably isn’t an equivalent to be had, sadly.

Unread 03-08-2019, 03:22 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Fun this innit

That said, other than De Ligt, there probably isn’t an equivalent to be had, sadly.
Its the confidence that VVD brings to the rest of the side too.

Hopefully Maguire can inspire

Unread 03-08-2019, 03:26 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
How many times do we have to tread the ground that before his transfer VVD was just a good defender? Loads mocked the price and rightly so. Yet he's now considered one of, if not the best in his position. That's due to a determination to succeed and to live up to his potential.

There's absolutely no reason why Harry McGravestone can't achieve the same here. Potential club captain by next summer imo.

Unread 03-08-2019, 04:55 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Well apparently Pogba has decided to be a slapped arse because his Madrid move hasn't materialised
Can't believe how totally and utterly shocked I am at that, I can tell you.

Unread 03-08-2019, 08:05 PM
goonlooca

United should be in for him

Unread 03-08-2019, 08:28 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonlooca
Good player, would have us in there like a shot tbh. Bossed us at OT last season.

Watford have been surprisingly quiet this summer tbf.

Unread 04-08-2019, 07:35 PM
Whalefish

I'm just struggling to understand what Ole, Phelan, Carrick et al see in the current midfield options. The Scottish Player has shown promise, but Pogba aside the rest are awful. Strong midfield, better chance of controlling a game and winning IMO. Without one, you're starting most PL games on the back foot.

Can't recall too many games last season where United's midfield bossed it.

Unread 05-08-2019, 06:09 AM
Cream

Are we, erm, replacing Herrera?

This is a disgrace.

Unread 05-08-2019, 06:27 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Are we, erm, replacing Herrera?

This is a disgrace.
I'm shocked, but not really.

what exactly is going on? Has he even been given any more money to spend or is that it? £142m in today's market....

If there was one position we obviously needed strengthening it was the midfield, but longstaff (!) and fernandes aside there's not really been a dicky bird.... why do we seem to be waiting to see what pogba does? Like you said, why hasn't herrera been replaced at the very least.

Yesterday morning I thought we might pull a decent summer out of the bag, regardless of leaving it until the last minute, but it's been a £#%&!ing shambles.

Rodri looks a great player.

Unread 05-08-2019, 06:31 AM
Jethro

The club is allergic to a coherent working midfield.

Unread 05-08-2019, 07:39 AM
Seamus

surely they must have an iron in the fire for a midfielder. I think they will go for the cheaper and untried option of Longstaff
Closed Thread