dunk

Football The midfield..

It’s £#%&!ing dire..

Matic
The Scottish Player
Fred
Pereira
Pogba

With no signings that group is far from enough, If Pogba leaves it’s properly shit.

New defenders or not, £#%&! all in the middle of the pitch is going to lead to issues at both ends.

Unread 03-08-2019, 08:52 AM
andyroo

That was after just reading the title let alone the content

I swear Keano cursed us on his way out

Unread 03-08-2019, 09:04 AM
woody78

If pogba leaves we should buy 2 midfielders and a right sided player.

Forget about dybala, maybe bring in Mandzukic as cover

Unread 03-08-2019, 09:06 AM
Tiberian

CM was even more a priority than CB for me. If Pogba stays then Ole has pretty much bet everything on him accepting a deeper midfield role and playing with the discipline that demands. Sceptical of that over a full season.

Matic looks finished, Fred plays like a 18yo winger playing CM, unreliable. The Scottish Player is going from squad player to key player over a summer, without a signing there is a decent chance we end up with Jones in midfield at some point.

Unread 03-08-2019, 09:07 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
CM was even more a priority than CB for me. If Pogba stays then Ole has pretty much bet everything on him accepting a deeper midfield role and playing with the discipline that demands. Sceptical of that over a full season.

Matic looks finished, Fred plays like a 18yo winger playing CM, unreliable. The Scottish Player is going from squad player to key player over a summer, without a signing there is a decent chance we end up with Jones in midfield at some point.
Yep. And we're selling Jones...

Unread 03-08-2019, 09:08 AM
MUFC One Love

Big worry. Especially if Pogba goes. I think The Scottish Player is a good player, Fred is a weird one. He can look good but then consistently passes to the opposition. Periera is talented but don't ever be a regular imo. Matic is dire now, hindrance to the side. If they sell Pogba they have to get someone like Eriksen and another midfielder.

Unread 03-08-2019, 09:10 AM
jem

if pogba leaves, it will already be an improvement in terms of discipline and shape. longstaff and fernandes, with more time for andreas... sorted. matic will be fine if he doesn't have to do £#%&!ing everything.

Unread 03-08-2019, 09:13 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
if pogba leaves, it will already be an improvement in terms of discipline and shape. longstaff and fernandes, with more time for andreas... sorted. matic will be fine if he doesn't have to do £#%&!ing everything.
It is a good point regarding Pogba. For how talented he is, he isn't consistent enough and positionally can be crap.

Unread 03-08-2019, 09:18 AM
Switching Off

Lingard and Fosu in an emergency. Not saying that's good, just for completion.

Unread 03-08-2019, 09:19 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Oh ffs, don't start Jem off

Even with those 2 it's a pretty pathetic group imo.

Unread 03-08-2019, 09:29 AM
Tiberian

To be fair Liverpool have shown you don't really need a player in the style of Pogba to have an exceptionally efficient midfield group. Fantastic talent beyond any doubt but the midfield in the modern game needs to be capable of protecting the defense. Our CB's over the last few years have taken an enormous amount of stick, some justified, but they have had very little effective shielding.

Unread 03-08-2019, 09:43 AM
dunk

Quote:
To be fair Liverpool have shown you don't really need a player in the style of Pogba to have an exceptionally efficient midfield group. Fantastic talent beyond any doubt but the midfield in the modern game needs to be capable of protecting the defense. Our CB's over the last few years have taken an enormous amount of stick, some justified, but they have had very little effective shielding.
There’s little protection for the defence in that lot, and for the stick Liverpool’s midfielders get, Wijnaldum, Fabinho and Keita are good footballers on top of the defensive/hard work aspect. So is Milner tbf. Henderson offers something in both directions too. Only really The Scottish Player that is as well rounded in terms of what he offers as their lot, and there are still huge questions to be answered from him.

Unread 03-08-2019, 10:21 AM
Clownbones

Quote:

This.

Winaljdum, Henderson, sessions....hardly world beaters, but they do the dirty work to allow the front three to run riot.

Nothing they do is complicated.

We can do the same with the right style, work rate and tweaks to the squad.

We're getting there

Unread 03-08-2019, 10:24 AM
waynes ear's

£#%&! United

Unread 03-08-2019, 10:58 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
This.

Winaljdum, Henderson, sessions....hardly world beaters, but they do the dirty work to allow the front three to run riot.

Nothing they do is complicated.

We can do the same with the right style, work rate and tweaks to the squad.

We're getting there
You’re underrating all of them. They build the play, work their nuts off and contribute in the attacking third. No one midfielder of ours does all 3. The most limited of their midfielders is Henderson and he’d walk into our midfield.

*disclaimer; I’m not praising the Liverpool midfielders, merely critiquing ours.

The flip side of the dippers ‘workaday’ midfield is City’s trio of diminutive attackers backed up by Fernandinho/Rodri. I know which model I’d prefer to watch, even if every midfielder at both clubs is better than anything we have that isn’t called Pogba at present...

Unread 03-08-2019, 11:01 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
That;s just made Dunk's original list look even worse

Unread 03-08-2019, 11:02 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
You’re underrating all of them. They build the play, work their nuts off and contribute in the attacking third. No one midfielder of ours does all 3. The most limited of their midfielders is Henderson and he’d walk into our midfield.
I'm not.

They have bought into an actual plan.

Henderson is fundamentally shit. He looks better in that side. He would be awful for us.

Wijnaldum not much better.

Keita is good.

They play to their strengths.

It's why Divick Origi can score twice in a CL semi final.

There isn't a single one of them I would want coming into a struggling United side, and none of them would shine in that side.

They are greater than the sum of their parts.

Unread 03-08-2019, 11:06 AM
Lodestar

Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
It’s £#%&!ing dire..

Matic
The Scottish Player
Fred
Pereira
Pogba

With no signings that group is far from enough, If Pogba leaves it’s properly shit.

New defenders or not, £#%&! all in the middle of the pitch is going to lead to issues at both ends.
Agreed. They need at least two quality additions but l can't see it before the window closes. Honestly don't think we should have let Herrera go considering what is left.

Still, Ole can't resolve a shit show all at once.

Unread 03-08-2019, 11:08 AM
ZiggyStardust

If we sign Fernandes then I don’t think it’s looking too bad in there
The Scottish Player looks ready to take his game onto another level and if we get someone like Fernandes in then it would take a lot of the creative burden off Pogba
Would still prefer to sign a proper defensive midfielder as The Scottish Player is more a box to box player for me but I suppose you can’t sort everything in one window

The midfield squad options would be questionable
Matic really is done, Fred is talented but is very erratic and can Pereira finally re-produce his pre-season performances during the actual season

If we don’t sign Fernandes or someone like him then yeah it looks really thin in that area

Unread 03-08-2019, 11:09 AM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
I'm not.

They have bought into an actual plan.

Henderson is fundamentally shit. He looks better in that side. He would be awful for us.

Wijnaldum not much better.

Keita is good.

They play to their strengths.

It's why Divick Origi can score twice in a CL semi final.

There isn't a single one of them I would want coming into a struggling United side, and none of them would shine in that side.

They are greater than the sum of their parts.
Their shit strikers and CM’s can score and dominate against Barca because the midfielders are shit?

Honestly, they fit in the system but all are primarily good footballers who can do a bit of everything. Non are making top 5, or even 10 in the World but they’re not far off. We’ve got 1 potentially top 5 and the rest not even making top 25-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
If we sign Fernandes then I don’t think it’s looking too bad in there
The Scottish Player looks ready to take his game onto another level and if we get someone like Fernandes in then it would take a lot of the creative burden off Pogba
Would still prefer to sign a proper defensive midfielder as The Scottish Player is more a box to box player for me but I suppose you can’t sort everything in one window

The midfield squad options would be questionable
Matic really is done, Fred is talented but is very erratic and can Pereira finally re-produce his pre-season performances

If we don’t sign Fernandes or someone like him then yeah it looks really thin in that area
Fernandes, Longstaff (or someone of his ilk) and keep Pogba and you’re in.
Closed Thread