United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-08-2019, 08:57 AM
dunk

Exclamation Diego Forlan

Officially retires from football..

Loved Diego tbh. Never quite worked for him. Reckon he'd be an absolute hit now.

Unread 07-08-2019, 08:58 AM
Clownbones

Thought this would be about us 'considering' a late bid.

Unread 07-08-2019, 08:59 AM
puressence

struggled so much but gave everything in all games scored so many important goals that mattered my favourite that chelsea winner, his shirt he couldnt get off , anfield away was mad as

Unread 07-08-2019, 09:00 AM
Coracao

He was a comedy figure at United.

'We'll only sit down when Forlan scores'.

Couldn't believe my eyes when shortly after the £#%&!er was scoring a hat trick at the Nou Camp. He was absolute bobbins for us. Probably the worst striker of the PL era out of those who played a fair few games for us. Always seemed like a decent lad tho.

Unread 07-08-2019, 09:03 AM
Patty_b

Legend. Made the scousers cry and forced a rule change in the Premier League.

Got a bit of gear signed from him when handed out prizes at a tennis tournament arranged by my grandparents (mad into his tennis apparently).

Got rid of it all when he moved to La Liga. Regretted it a year later.

Unread 07-08-2019, 09:10 AM
TheFatGoth

Liked him.

Genuinely did well when he got a run in the team. But he was hopeless towards the end and needed a move - confidence was totally shot.

Probably the best South American to ever play for us.

Off the top of my head probably the only ex or current United player to ever win the Golden Ball at a World Cup??

Edit. Second - Charlton won it in 66.

Unread 07-08-2019, 09:12 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
He was a comedy figure at United.

'We'll only sit down when Forlan scores'.

Couldn't believe my eyes when shortly after the £#%&!er was scoring a hat trick at the Nou Camp. He was absolute bobbins for us. Probably the worst striker of the PL era out of those who played a fair few games for us. Always seemed like a decent lad tho.
This.

Decent lad who worked hard, but he was absolutely horrific for us.

Love the revisionism after it became apparent elsewhere he was actually pretty good - ‘Well I was always rated him tbh....’

He was universally derided at United. The party thread on RI when he left was £#%&!ing huge.

Unread 07-08-2019, 09:15 AM
TheFatGoth

Scored some extremely important goals against Scousers, Chelsea (x2), Villa and a Worldy against Rangers. He'll always be a legend to me.

Unread 07-08-2019, 09:31 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Liked him.

Genuinely did well when he got a run in the team. But he was hopeless towards the end and needed a move - confidence was totally shot.

Probably the best South American to ever play for us.

Off the top of my head probably the only ex or current United player to ever win the Golden Ball at a World Cup??

Edit. Second - Charlton won it in 66.
This. Reckon he'd have been a different animal with an early goal or 2. Could clearly play.

Unread 07-08-2019, 09:33 AM
shenwen

Thought he retired last year?
Played his last game ever in HK last May. Proud to say I wasn’t there to see it

Unread 07-08-2019, 10:28 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
This.

Decent lad who worked hard, but he was absolutely horrific for us.

Love the revisionism after it became apparent elsewhere he was actually pretty good - ‘Well I was always rated him tbh....’

He was universally derided at United. The party thread on RI when he left was £#%&!ing huge.
Anybody who had seen him play or looked at his stats before United knew he was a decent player.

Unread 07-08-2019, 10:30 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Anybody who had seen him play or looked at his stats before United knew he was a decent player.
Or saw his excellent performances after United.... Stage fright.... Only explanation

Unread 07-08-2019, 10:43 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
Or saw his excellent performances after United.... Stage fright.... Only explanation
He had some good spells for United too tbf, usually coincided with RvN missing..

Was excellent at home alongside RvN against Newcastle at OT when we @#%&!ted them for instance, made a couple and should've scored a couple IIRC

Unread 07-08-2019, 11:06 AM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
Has to be the pressure got to him. Each game that passed by without a goal sapping away at him. He showed in glimpses here and thereafter in Spain that he is a scorer of all types of goals so it's not the case he was a one trick pony exposed at a higher level.

Nor was he recovering from a big injury like Falcao. Although I wonder if Falcao's lob against Leicester in that 5-3 game was an inch or two lower whether things may have been different. He never came close to showing any technical skill for the remaining eight months of the season.

Unread 07-08-2019, 11:10 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Big Independiente fan are you pal? He hadn’t even made his International debut before joining us.

Unread 07-08-2019, 11:20 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Big Independiente fan are you pal? He hadn’t even made his International debut before joining us.
No, looked up his stats and saw some of the clips once we signed him. He looked a really good player. Played well for Uruguay while at United as well. It was clear he had the talent, just couldn't apply it when playing for us

Unread 07-08-2019, 11:52 AM
TheFatGoth

Cool

Uruguay were quality that WC

Unread 07-08-2019, 11:53 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
saw some of the clips once we signed him.
in 2002? watch them on that well known and yet to be created website "youtube"?

Unread 07-08-2019, 11:53 AM
no fun

saw him in the trafford centre - he was with a very fit woman who had an incredible arse

Unread 07-08-2019, 12:00 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
He had some good spells for United too tbf, usually coincided with RvN missing..

Was excellent at home alongside RvN against Newcastle at OT when we @#%&!ted them for instance, made a couple and should've scored a couple IIRC
Was just a confidence thing in front of goal I think. His approach play was always superb. He was the best passer at the club for a while outside of Scholes.
Closed Thread