Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Serenity Now

Default "Owen Hargreaves's timekeeping causes anger"

From The Times
April 4, 2008
Oliver Kay and Matt Dickinson

Owen Hargreaves’s strangely peripheral role at Manchester United is not down to poor form but disciplinary issues, The Times can reveal. In particular, Sir Alex Ferguson is known to have been angered by the player’s poor timekeeping, with Hargreaves turning up late for several team meetings.

Signed for a projected fee of £20.2 million from Bayern Munich last summer, Hargreaves has found himself fourth or even fifth choice in central midfield as United chase Barclays Premier League and Champions League trophies. While speculation has centred on whether Ferguson is unconvinced by the England international’s form, it is understood that the manager has been punishing Hargreaves for what he perceives as a slovenly attitude.

The revelation will astound many within the game, given the player’s reputation as a model professional. His dogged, diligent performances have led him to be touted as a possible England captain. But sources at Old Trafford have indicated that Ferguson has been unhappy with Hargreaves’s lack of punctuality. He was late to arrive at Manchester airport on Monday morning before the squad flew to Italy for their Champions League quarter-final, first leg away to AS Roma.

Hargreaves was left out of the starting line-up in Rome, but made an impressive impact as a second-half substitute in United’s 2-0 win, with Ferguson conceding afterwards that he “should have brought him on much earlier”. Some may accuse Ferguson of jeopardising United’s prospects while trying to teach Hargreaves a lesson, but the manager feels that the player’s punishment is necessary and that, in any case, Michael Carrick’s outstanding recent form has left his England team-mate with a point to prove on the pitch as well as off it.

One source said of Hargreaves’s indiscretions that “it might only be a matter of being 20 seconds late, but that is too late as far as the manager is concerned and he [Hargreaves] knows he is either going to have to adapt or face the consequences. It’s a learning process for him, but he will adapt and he has told the manager that, which should be the end of the matter.”

United were dogged in their pursuit of Hargreaves, but his first season at Old Trafford has not gone as smoothly as expected. He arrived in July with a tendinitis problem in his right knee and has suffered from a series of minor ailments, though injury alone cannot explain why he has started only 17 of United’s 47 matches this season. He was bought partly to strengthen United’s midfield for the Champions League, but, remarkably, he has started just one of their nine matches in the tournament.

Hargreaves’s future at Old Trafford is not thought to be in immediate jeopardy, but the 27-year-old has been left in no doubt that he must clean up his act if he is to remain integral to Ferguson’s plans. As if to prove the point, the United manager expressed admiration for Daniele De Rossi, the Roma midfield player, this week, having previously enthused about Miguel Veloso, who plays in a similar role for Sporting Lisbon.

The demands of the run-in may dictate that Hargreaves starts away to Middlesbrough on Sunday or in the second leg against Roma on Wednesday. With six Premier League games remaining — including serious tests at home to Arsenal and away to Chelsea — and the likelihood of two clashes with Barcelona in a mouthwatering semi-final, Hargreaves would certainly be an asset for United in the coming weeks, but, unless he can persuade his manager of his professionalism, he is in danger of being left on the margins.

- Manchester United’s relief that Nemanja Vidic had not suffered a serious knee injury was tempered yesterday by the news that their talismanic Serbia defender will be out of action for up to three weeks. Vidic was substituted 34 minutes into United’s 2-0 victory over AS Roma in the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final at the Olympic Stadium in Rome on Tuesday evening after appearing to twist his left knee as he fell awkwardly. United were fearful that Vidic may have suffered ligament damage and, in turn, miss the remainder of the season, but a second scan yesterday revealed no serious problems.

Unread 04-04-2008, 01:12 AM
RedArmy20

%@#$&!s

Unread 04-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Rhodzy

Just read that, what a silly billy.

Unread 04-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Ether

Interesting. I'd be surprised if he was leaving him out just as punishment though.

Unread 04-04-2008, 01:26 AM
wonky no

united at the moment are perfect, there is no negativity at all. this is a complete non story. journos trying to find a sensational fault.

20 seconds

Unread 04-04-2008, 05:22 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Regardless of that bollox story, hargreaves is beggining to look like a bit part player, i'm sure if i was a player aged 27 i would want nothing other than regular first team football. I reckon he might be sold in the summer, depending on how much of the original fee can be recouped. I dont like the way united play when he's in the team, he wont be missed if he goes.

Unread 04-04-2008, 05:24 AM
thenorthwillriseagain

non-story hargreaves is the boy at school who offers to carry the teacjers books, his mum always gets him up in the morning on time with his toast and porridge

Unread 04-04-2008, 07:36 AM
keano's love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Macari_Chippy
Regardless of that bollox story, hargreaves is beggining to look like a bit part player, i'm sure if i was a player aged 27 i would want nothing other than regular first team football. I reckon he might be sold in the summer, depending on how much of the original fee can be recouped. I dont like the way united play when he's in the team, he wont be missed if he goes.
Will he £#%&!!!

Did you forget how good he was against arsenal and liverpool away from home?

Unread 04-04-2008, 07:59 AM
marlo stansfield

he is being left out because we have aa few players in midfield who are better than him.

Unread 04-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
he is being left out because we have aa few players in midfield who are better than him.
True, which is why we've left Arsenal behind. We have options, they have to play Hleb-Fabregas-Flamini-Adebayor every game, and all of them have started to lose their legs the last 5 weeks.

Point being, keep Hargreaves. Options win titles.

Unread 04-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Whalefish

Well said Grimson. Even if I don't think he's that good. Looked much brighter against Roma just a pity the club's not managed his knee complaint properly.

Also, Hleb. £#%&!ing hell. What a player.

Unread 04-04-2008, 08:34 AM
BarryX

he was 20 seconds late.....the problem was that it was in a 100 meter race....

seriously bullshit piece...owen will come good, and will get a longer run in the team next year for sure. he is coming across professional enough to accept squad rotation and is a vital part of the new United.

Unread 04-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
exactly.

Unread 04-04-2008, 08:49 AM
TheNew

I was never convinced he was the right buy, and I'm still not totally convinced by Hargreaves, but as mentioned above, it's all about options. I certainly wouldn't think about selling him, as it will probably weaken the squad.

and it's a squad game. Innit.

Unread 04-04-2008, 08:56 AM
puressence

hargo is £#%&!ing brilliant any £#%&!ing moron can see that

Unread 04-04-2008, 08:57 AM
The Return of JC

Wow, that's a lot of words to say absolutely nothing.

At least the tabloids make stuff up with the minimum of characters.

Unread 04-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
hargo is £#%&!ing brilliant any £#%&!ing moron can see that
he's a good player, but i would start either scholes, anderson and carrick ahead of him right now.

Unread 04-04-2008, 09:02 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
he's a good player, but i would start either scholes, anderson and carrick ahead of him right now.
I'd start Scholes and Carrick ahead of him currently, not sure about Anderson given how jaded he's been looking. Good to have such depth either way, they'll all be important in the next few weeks..

Unread 04-04-2008, 09:03 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
On current form, yeah. But it's swings and roundabouts. Earlier in the season Anderson and Hargreaves seemed THE partnership and Carrick was linked with a move away (silly silly). Now Carrick and Scholes look sharper than both of them. I'm sure the momentum will swing his way again and it's all about a blend and variation. All four are very different players and bring something to the squad. It's a great quartet to have.

At the moment I'd be happy to see any two from those four lining up. All class acts (although, for the record, I think we're a much better side with MC in it. We just like, you know, play better and stuff)

Thought he made the difference when he came on in Rome too. Good to see him having an effect as an impact player too.

Injuies have been a niggling concern for him, but his time will come and there's plenty of football to go around.

Unread 04-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I'd start Scholes and Carrick ahead of him currently, not sure about Anderson given how jaded he's been looking. Good to have such depth either way, they'll all be important in the next few weeks..
You don't need options you just need to play the same XI every game.
Closed Thread