United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Good point and one rarely made by Joe's fans. Chelsea were at a peak and were pretty poor, in terms of players, nearly all the time Jose was here and since Porto played us. We have improved a great deal since then.
I wouldn't have said Mourinho's Chelsea sides were poor, just mechanical, functional & devoid of flair really. But, that's not to say they didn't win or score goals.

They just did it predictably. It's one thing to know what a team will do, another entirely to stop them over 90mins if their players are better than yours. & with the squad they amassed in his time there they had the tools to play his way.

I'm not so sure Inter have the same depth, certainly not the same intensity. Zlatan has shouldered a very large chunk of their attacking prowess from all the reports (& stats) I've read. I'd like to think we could keep him quiet, but I've got a bit of respect for the big man so it'll be a job well done if he is shut out of it.

I'd love to see us carve them open with pace, power & precision. All the things we're good at, Mourinho wont go for that, he'll try & find a single chink in the armour (no... not Park - that's racist) & exploit it. Given the probably line up, you're looking at who ever is the 2nd centre back alongside Ferdinand. More so if it becomes a physical battle, Zlatan & Adriano are both large lumps, our midfield isn't enormously mobile unless he's got Anderson (highly unlikely) or Fletch (more unlikely given the full back issue) so we're possibly looking at Park doing the tracking on their midfield runner (more than likely Stankovic). I'm pretty sure we'll set out as a 4-3-3 with Giggs, Carrick & Park in the middle, Rooney, Ronaldo & Berbs up top. So long as they can £#%&!ing well pass it properly in midfield & get it to the strikers we should provide a threat.

I hope Carrick starts really well & takes the game to them with his passing. He could dictate it imo.

Unread 23-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
I wouldn't have said Mourinho's Chelsea sides were poor, just mechanical, functional & devoid of flair really. But, that's not to say they didn't win or score goals.

They just did it predictably. It's one thing to know what a team will do, another entirely to stop them over 90mins if their players are better than yours. & with the squad they amassed in his time there they had the tools to play his way.

I'm not so sure Inter have the same depth, certainly not the same intensity. Zlatan has shouldered a very large chunk of their attacking prowess from all the reports (& stats) I've read. I'd like to think we could keep him quiet, but I've got a bit of respect for the big man so it'll be a job well done if he is shut out of it.

I'd love to see us carve them open with pace, power & precision. All the things we're good at, Mourinho wont go for that, he'll try & find a single chink in the armour (no... not Park - that's racist) & exploit it. Given the probably line up, you're looking at who ever is the 2nd centre back alongside Ferdinand. More so if it becomes a physical battle, Zlatan & Adriano are both large lumps, our midfield isn't enormously mobile unless he's got Anderson (highly unlikely) or Fletch (more unlikely given the full back issue) so we're possibly looking at Park doing the tracking on their midfield runner (more than likely Stankovic). I'm pretty sure we'll set out as a 4-3-3 with Giggs, Carrick & Park in the middle, Rooney, Ronaldo & Berbs up top. So long as they can £#%&!ing well pass it properly in midfield & get it to the strikers we should provide a threat.
I hope Carrick starts really well & takes the game to them with his passing. He could dictate it imo.
which is the part that broke down last season in Nou Camp

for some bizarre reason people on here seem to think Ferguson deliberately set the team up to not make the ball stick and to not make the most of the situations that arose

that barcelona game is as big a reason for the signing of berbatov as you could wish to see

let's hope United can get the right movement at the right moments to take advantage of Berbatov's exceptional control and strength on the ball eh

Unread 23-02-2009, 05:49 PM
dodger

Quote:
Sorry, mis type by me. I meant to say they were at a peak and we were poor at the time

Unread 23-02-2009, 06:33 PM
MUFC One Love

Has Fergal done his pre match press conference yet?

Unread 23-02-2009, 08:18 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Has Fergal done his pre match press conference yet?
Don't know - but he's talking about Berbaking playing as a sweeper

Unread 24-02-2009, 12:01 AM
jem

Quote:

I have nothing to add to that.

Unread 24-02-2009, 06:46 AM
borsuk

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=192

as carrick said, no carrick

Unread 24-02-2009, 09:32 AM
antonin jablonsky

Don't be silly Carrick will play.

Unread 24-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

All I can say is Uh Oh. I have a feeling this could be San Siro 07 repeated.

EDIT: Why wouldn't carrick play?

Unread 24-02-2009, 09:52 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
All I can say is Uh Oh. I have a feeling this could be San Siro 07 repeated.

EDIT: Why wouldn't carrick play?
Because of Fred Tish tactical genius.

Unread 24-02-2009, 10:02 AM
MUFC One Love

Carrick didn't start against Chelsea, when it seemed he was fit. Wouldn't be surprised if Carrick and Borsuk are right tbh.

Unread 24-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

I'd be amazed.

Unread 24-02-2009, 10:10 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

VDS

Fabio
O'Shea
Rio
Evra

Fletcher
Carrick
Giggs

Ronaldo
Berbs
Rooney

That will be the team

Unread 24-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2
VDS

Fabio
O'Shea
Rio
Evra

Fletcher
Carrick
Giggs

Ronaldo
Berbs
Rooney

That will be the team
That defense will give me nightmares but considering the injuries it's the best to hope for.

Unread 24-02-2009, 10:18 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
VDS

Fabio
O'Shea
Rio
Evra

Fletcher
Carrick
Giggs

Ronaldo
Berbs
Rooney

That will be the team
Could be Fletch at right back and Park in midfield. You never know, Evans might play too.

Unread 24-02-2009, 10:19 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
That defense will give me nightmares but considering the injuries it's the best to hope for.
Best to hope for ids that Evans can get an injection and play. Anyway, £#%&! it, might as well have a right go at 'em, best form of defence and all that.

Unread 24-02-2009, 10:20 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Could be Fletch at right back and Park in midfield. You never know, Evans might play too.
If Evans is fit then O'shea will play right back. Think park may edge out giggs

Unread 24-02-2009, 10:23 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
If Evans is fit then O'shea will play right back. Think park may edge out giggs
maybe, Park could play as protection in front of right back. i'd like to see Giggs play though, bit of experience that could be vital and with carrick'd help us keep the ball. To be honest, if possible i'd like to see your midfield start.

Unread 24-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Away from home with a dodgy defense? More chance that the moon will start seeping tomato sauce.
It's going to be tight as a cat's arse on a windy winter night. Or they'll have the game of their lives and win 2/3-0.

Unread 24-02-2009, 10:24 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Away from home with a dodgy defense? More chance that the moon will start seeping tomato sauce.
It's going to be tight as a cat's arse on a windy winter night. Or they'll have the game of their lives and win 2/3-0.
If we try and hold out with a dodgy defence then it could be the latter.
Closed Thread