United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-05-2011, 08:41 PM
TreeFiddy

Default Re: For those of us definitely not going to Wembley...

Any word on a possible MUST venue near(ish) to Wembley?

Someone mentioned it but not seen anything since.

Unread 18-05-2011, 08:49 PM
TheNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
Any word on a possible MUST venue near(ish) to Wembley?

Someone mentioned it but not seen anything since.
Don't think it's been confirmed yet. Got tickets for the Manchester one today as I sharn't be able to afford to be down there. It's at the Ramada Piccadilly.

Unread 18-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNew
Don't think it's been confirmed yet. Got tickets for the Manchester one today as I sharn't be able to afford to be down there. It's at the Ramada Piccadilly.
Heading there myself.

Unread 18-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueling Banjos
Heading there myself.
Not anymore. Sold out. Going to the Palace now.

Unread 18-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Somewhere in town probably.

No way could i watch a european £#%&!ing cup final at home.
If I could be guaranteed nothing but United supporters to watch it with, I would. I watched the '09 Final with a friend at a huge bar in the city, and it was terrible - loads of ABU types cheering for Barca. Not putting myself through that again.

Unread 18-05-2011, 11:08 PM
My Name is Keith

In town for it too. Having a meal in the afternoon (bit strange but i'm of that age now) and mates have hired a decent apartment so may watch it there and then out and about. What places have MUST put on?

Unread 18-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
In town for it too. Having a meal in the afternoon (bit strange but i'm of that age now) and mates have hired a decent apartment so may watch it there and then out and about. What places have MUST put on?
Ramada, Palace and Copper Face Jacks.

Unread 18-05-2011, 11:16 PM
My Name is Keith

Cheers

Unread 18-05-2011, 11:21 PM
originalhogg

Quote:
Ramada, Palace and Copper Face Jacks.
Looking at one of these venues to go too, not staying in atrincham like I did with the last final, must be more tbc in town though...

Unread 18-05-2011, 11:26 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Somewhere in town probably.

No way could i watch a european £#%&!ing cup final at home.
I did for the Moscow final. The missus was heavily pregnant so I watched it in the house with our parish priest. He is in his 70s and he was jumping round the room shouting the £#%&!er has missed it. Priceless

Unread 18-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhogg
Looking at one of these venues to go too, not staying in atrincham like I did with the last final, must be more tbc in town though...
You'd think so seeing as how they're selling pretty quick. I got 10 for the Palace for our group.

Unread 18-05-2011, 11:31 PM
lztom

Ramada is sold out now, get on the Palace or Copper Face Jacks quick if you want a MUST screening.

Unread 18-05-2011, 11:33 PM
elephantstone

Lancashire cricket club are screening the game

Unread 18-05-2011, 11:35 PM
originalhogg

Quote:
You'd think so seeing as how they're selling pretty quick. I got 10 for the Palace for our group.
Think I'd better get my arese into gear, though Walkabout was chubb venue as well?

Unread 19-05-2011, 06:54 AM
djsst

Queen of the football ticket blaggers
Jill Pearson uses all her guile and charm to blag tickets to see her beloved Manchester United. Now she faces her biggest test – the Champions League final

I've watched Manchester United play in 10 countries over 20 years, and been up Wembley Way countless times to see them. I have been in the stands for three out of their four European Champions League finals (1968 was before my time). But now I can't get a ticket for next week's Champions League final at Wembley because I have failed United's loyalty litmus test. It's not, "how do you solve a problem like Messi?", Barcelona's seemingly insupressible striker and main scoring threat to Manchester United, but rather, "how do you solve a problem like getting a ticket for the 28 May match?"

The requirements to obtain one of the club's 25,000 allocated tickets are strict: season ticket holder (tick); attended at least one Champions League away match (tick x 3); attended all 10 home Carling, FA and Champions League cup matches (no tick! Damn, I missed one match because of unavoidable work commitments).

I love Manchester United and will do almost anything to see them play. Trouble is, I'm not alone. An estimated 100,000 United supporters travelled from England to Barcelona for the 1999 final versus Bayern Munich (apparently the biggest exodus of football fans ever to leave British shores). With Wembley being so much closer to home, it's little wonder the demand this time is high. One website is reportedly charging £7,000 for a final ticket, well beyond my budget.

I recently bumped into a former United and Blackburn player who had been invaluable during the 1999 treble-winning season and even he didn't have a ticket: "I need to ask Sir Alex," he smiled. Never one to be defeated, I've had many ticket scrapes and successes over the years:

Reading (Elm Park, FA Cup 1996). When I reached the turnstile minutes before kick-off with hundreds of fans behind me, I started crying, telling the stewards my ticket had been nicked in the crush. The Salford lads around me corroborated my "story" and I was let in. I'll call this a shameless lady-blag.

Bayern Munich (Olympic Stadium, ECL 1998). I went to various prisons to test my theory that boisterous United fans arrested outside the infamous Hofbräuhaus wouldn't need their tickets. I invented a story that someone inside had "my" ticket. Mug shots were produced and randomly I picked Anthony from Wythenshawe who was brought from his cell into an interview room. He did have a ticket but hoped he would be released in time for kick-off, so he wasn't prepared to part with it. That was my lateral thought blag. In despair, I bumped into a friend outside the ground who miraculously had a ticket for me in the VIP section, a few rows in front of David Beckham's parents.

Bayern Munich (Nou Camp, Barcelona, ECL final 1999). I persuaded a journalist who was on the press list with a non-existent photographer to let me take the photographer's place. It worked, but I was then handed a photographer's vest and shunted on to the pitch armed only with a Kodak fun camera. I took a few shots of the warm-up with the other photographers looking mightily suspicious, then decided I needed to "go to the toilet", slipped through to the main bit of the stadium, and watched the game without being asked for a ticket. This was the audacious blag.

Bayer Leverkusen (BayArena, ECL semi-final 2002). At the ground Sven-Göran Eriksson, then England manager, and David Davies, former FA director, drove past and I brazenly inquired after "any spares". Unsurprisingly the answer was no. At the executive entrance, using all my guile and charm I convinced a couple of older German businessmen to part with five tickets: impressed that we had travelled all the way from Manchester, they sold me their tickets and opted to watch it on TV. This was the pilgrimage/begging blag.

None of the above tactics are likely to work at Wembley. Although my stress levels are rising faster than Sir Alex Ferguson can get through a pack of chewing gum, several new ideas are forming in my mind. Whether or not United win the match is another matter altogether: Barça could never be described as trophy-challenged, but I'll worry about that on 28 May. In the Wembley stands, of course . . .

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardia...-league-ticket

Unread 19-05-2011, 07:33 AM
believe

love Mad Pat

Unread 19-05-2011, 07:38 AM
elephantstone

She was at bettys wedding. She probably blagged it in there as well.

Unread 19-05-2011, 07:42 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
She was at bettys wedding. She probably blagged it in there as well.
season ticket holder (tick); attended at least one Champions League away match (tick x 3); attended all 10 home Carling, FA and Champions League cup matches (no tick! Damn, I missed one match because of unavoidable work commitments

Unread 19-05-2011, 07:45 AM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

She'll be right, the jib is well on at wembley

Unread 19-05-2011, 07:48 AM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
season ticket holder (tick); attended at least one Champions League away match (tick x 3); attended all 10 home Carling, FA and Champions League cup matches (no tick! Damn, I missed one match because of unavoidable work commitments
Bettys wedding tick
Closed Thread