United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginlarde
nope, he said that in his interview with david frost. said he wants nothing to do with it and when he goes he goes, doesnt want to move upstairs etc
so it was recently then?

Unread 04-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Serenity Now

The thing is, we basically have no idea what kind of qualities Fergie wants from an assistant manager. And, without having watched them at work ourselves, most of us have no idea what kind of qualities the potential candidates possess either (or, for that matter, who the potential candidates even are). So, for me at least, it's really hard to say if he's a good pick or not.

Having said that, when I've seen Phelan interviewed, he didn't come across as particularly charismatic or insightful. Nice enough, to be sure, but not an exceptional individual in any way. So in this respect, if I'm being totally honest, the appointment does surprise me a bit. Of course, he may be exactly what Fergie wants in terms of his personality, ability to provide continuity, coaching style etc.

*EDIT* I realise all this may be very obvious

Unread 04-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
so it was recently then?
yeah, few months back

Unread 04-09-2008, 11:18 AM
mr.sitter

okay fair enough.thought i remember david gill saying that fergie was going to be consulted over the next manager. cant see whoever it is wanting phelan as no 2 though, can you ?

Unread 04-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
yeah, few months back
12 weeks ago is ages ago.

did you teach history to lou macari's chippy?

Unread 04-09-2008, 11:21 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

did you teach history to lou macari's chippy?

Unread 04-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Ginners

Quote:
i dont see the point here, he still said it, are you saying he would have changed his mind by now?

Unread 04-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
i dont see the point here, he still said it, are you saying he would have changed his mind by now?
no, that's the opposite of what i'm saying

are you ill, boy?

Unread 04-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Ginners

Quote:
no, that's the opposite of what i'm saying

are you ill, boy?
i dunno, im well confused

Unread 04-09-2008, 11:25 AM
antonin jablonsky

I do hope Phelan does a few beeb interviews in his shorts and they take to panning out towards the end, to reveal his full glory.

Unread 04-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sitter
says in todays indie (no link - paper only)that fergie wants to follow the bayern munich model of internal appointments..with ole now and giggsy when he retires. i think fergie is planning his legacy. filling the club full of people who understand what it is to be united and to maybe create some continuity for when after he retires

Or he realised that Poyet was at the top of Newcastle's list.

Unread 22-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Sloppy

Very worrying how rooney had to keep coming over to the bench and ask who was playing where and basically what the £#%&! was going on.

Unread 22-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Very worrying how rooney had to keep coming over to the bench and ask who was playing where and basically what the £#%&! was going on.

Carlos rarely used to sit down; it looked like Fergie was the one who had to get up and bark out a few instructions yesterday.

To be though, Phelan was in charge of popping balloons.

Unread 20-01-2009, 06:19 PM
borsuk

Question

opinions now, fredsters?

obviously without cq to do all the organising of the defence we're shipping goals at an alarming rate. still, that aside what do we make of phelan?

love his press conferences tbh. very down to earth, calm, has a seen-it-all-before kind of presence. certainly handles that side fantastically well imo.

as far as the rest goes, team spirit seems tip top, we're not firing on all cylinders yet but those with a memory span greater than a dementia-afflicted goldfish might remember that this is hardly the first season where we chug along in a fairly pedestrian fashion over the first half of the season.

not foreign, not trendy, not seen as sophisticated but looks like a very capable no 2 to me. seems to be wearing shorts a bit less often these days, though, which is a bit of a downer.

Unread 20-01-2009, 06:22 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sitter
okay fair enough.thought i remember david gill saying that fergie was going to be consulted over the next manager. cant see whoever it is wanting phelan as no 2 though, can you ?
The players??

He's obviously got massive Respect in the dressing room why can't he get it in the stands

I fear for the new manager once we lose a game

Unread 20-01-2009, 06:23 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
opinions now, fredsters?

obviously without cq to do all the organising of the defence we're shipping goals at an alarming rate. still, that aside what do we make of phelan?

love his press conferences tbh. very down to earth, calm, has a seen-it-all-before kind of presence. certainly handles that side fantastically well imo.

as far as the rest goes, team spirit seems tip top, we're not firing on all cylinders yet but those with a memory span greater than a dementia-afflicted goldfish might remember that this is hardly the first season where we chug along in a fairly pedestrian fashion over the first half of the season.

not foreign, not trendy, not seen as sophisticated but looks like a very capable no 2 to me. seems to be wearing shorts a bit less often these days, though, which is a bit of a downer.
I would say his contribution has been felt in our slightly less fluent football but, as you say, we're top and conceding very few so credit there.
As a balloon popper, however, Phelan leaves a great deal to be desired and it's something Alex may want to consider in future.
Closed Thread