United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-03-2019, 11:37 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Some of the contract renewals are a concern though.

We should be moving past guys like Mata and Young

Unread 03-03-2019, 11:51 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
Some of the contract renewals are a concern though.

We should be moving past guys like Mata and Young
Honestly think they’re them getting under contract in case they need them, prepared to move them on for practically free if they’re replaced in the summer, rather than letting them go then failing to get the replacement they want and having to sign someone they don’t really want to cover the place in the squad. Better the devil you know etc.

Unread 04-03-2019, 12:11 AM
signed dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
We've posted title winning form since he took over.

Which makes our form for the first 4 and a half months of the season even more infuriating.

We might not have had enough to challenge City but £#%&!ing hell we'd have easily had enough to finish ahead of Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea.
And Jose reckoned it was a sign his managerial genius that we somehow finished 2nd with the same squad last season

Unread 04-03-2019, 12:24 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Honestly think they’re them getting under contract in case they need them, prepared to move them on for practically free if they’re replaced in the summer, rather than letting them go then failing to get the replacement they want and having to sign someone they don’t really want to cover the place in the squad. Better the devil you know etc.
You don’t give them bumper multi year deals if it’s only to make sure you’ve got enough players to fill the squad list.

Rojo is likely done, Bailley? Not sure if he’ll be happy being 3rd choice so might want a move? the other two are here to stay. I think we’ll sell Rojo and go into next season with Linders, Smalling, Bailey, Jones and Tuanzabe at CB. With the money saved on a new centre back going going into other positions.

Also, I think Woodward is the type of bloke to not sign a CB because he thinks he’s proving a point with what went on last summer with Jose and our CB’s.

Unread 04-03-2019, 12:31 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
top 6 table/results since Ole's opening fixture v Cardiff

You are prof and I claim my five giros.

Unread 04-03-2019, 02:45 AM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Tempted to agree. Save for the inexplicable decision to give Jones 4 years the rest have mostly had 1 year extensions so far and I'm sure we would let the likes of Mata and Young move on free transfers if we replace them. The issue is they are squad level players at best in positions we don't have first choice players so we'd need to sign two players in each position before we could let them go.

Beats flogging half the squad and getting absolutely rinsed in the transfer market, have to hope the scouts have done their homework because the last time we had such a huge reshaping of the squad we ended up with the likes of Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and Darmian

Unread 04-03-2019, 07:28 AM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
62% of all league goals scored by Manchester United under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer have been scored by academy products
Although a decent chunk of those were scored by someone who cost us £90m..

Unread 04-03-2019, 07:47 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
top 6 table/results since Ole's opening fixture v Cardiff

its beautiful

Unread 04-03-2019, 09:53 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
Proof that this squad, despite its flaws, was indeed capable of showing more than it did in the first half of the season.

We're not that far off challenging.
Finishing second last year was proof of that. The glazers weren’t interested in pushing on and the manager spat his dummy out.

Unread 04-03-2019, 10:25 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Finishing second last year was proof of that. The glazers weren’t interested in pushing on and the manager spat his dummy out.
£#%&! off

Unread 04-03-2019, 12:05 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
£#%&! off
The club gave mourinho a new contract so must have been happy with things up to then.

United finished 2nd in both the league and fa cup.

The club didn’t buy the manager’s transfer targets in the summer, so were happy to not try and close the gap with city. They also failed to sell the likes of Rojo and Darmian that we know of.

After the window closed, Woodward leaked stories undermining the manager to justify the lack of transfer activity.

This predictably culminated in the manager spitting his dummy out as the summer progressed into the season.

Tell me what’s factually incorrect.

Unread 04-03-2019, 12:24 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
The club gave mourinho a new contract so must have been happy with things up to then.

United finished 2nd in both the league and fa cup.

The club didn’t buy the manager’s transfer targets in the summer, so were happy to not try and close the gap with city. They also failed to sell the likes of Rojo and Darmian that we know of.

After the window closed, Woodward leaked stories undermining the manager to justify the lack of transfer activity.

This predictably culminated in the manager spitting his dummy out as the summer progressed into the season.

Tell me what’s factually incorrect.
The finish in the league and the cup papered over an alarming number of cracks, most brutally displayed in the game against Seville.

The club spent £80m in that summer on Fred and Dalot, both the manager's transfer targets.

Mourinho's dummy had been out long before the summer.

Woodward's leaked stories were in direct response to the managers moaning in the press and undermining of his current players.

Unread 04-03-2019, 05:55 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
£#%&! off
Look beyond your Mou hate for a moment, and our "great owners" seeing 2nd place as an excuse not to spend more money isn't so far fetched is it?

Unread 04-03-2019, 06:51 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Look beyond your Mou hate for a moment, and our "great owners" seeing 2nd place as an excuse not to spend more money isn't so far fetched is it?
They spent £80m pal. That they didn’t spend more was due to who it was to be spent on imo.

No question that the squad needs clearing out too.

Mourinho was acting the @#%&! before the season ended. He wanted the sack as soon as the ink was dry on his extension.

Unread 04-03-2019, 07:30 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
If we get top four this season we’ll spend £#%&! all again too

It’s how they operate.

Unread 04-03-2019, 08:11 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14

It’s how they operate.
Correct and now they have a stooge in place

Unread 04-03-2019, 08:39 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14

It’s how they operate.
Who?

Surely our resurgence under Ole shows Ed made the right call in not caving into Mourinho's demands. It's not about the money,it's who you spend it on and I for one am delighted it wasn't on Maguire or Perisic or Willian. Even more so now we have Martial tied down for years to come.

Ole has earned the job and I don't believe he is a puppet. With Phelan we have a management team who know how to build a title winning team in the image of Manchester United. Not Ajax or Inter Milan. And United already have a talented core of players who have come out of their shell under Ole.

Unread 04-03-2019, 08:44 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
The finish in the league and the cup papered over an alarming number of cracks, most brutally displayed in the game against Seville.
This is factual, how? The fact is we finished second in both. You appear to agree that’s factual.

Couldn’t the same be said about Ole’s time so far and the PSG result, should someone’s agenda suit it?

You also seem to be saying mourinho did an excellent job getting the team to finish second despite all the cracks.

Quote:
Mourinho's dummy had been out long before the summer.
Anything factual to support this? Signed his contract extension end of January, so how much longer before the summer?

Quote:
Woodward's leaked stories were in direct response to the managers moaning in the press and undermining of his current players.
Seems like opinion.

How would woodward expect a manager like mourinho to react if he spent all summer avoiding meetings with him whilst there’s no transfer activity? It’s either poor man management by woodward, cowardice or deliberately antagonising to provoke the expected response.

Again, you seem to agree woodward leaking to the media was factual.

I asked you to tell me what’s factually incorrect about what I said. None of your reponse did that. Quite the opposite.

Quote:
They spent £80m pal. That they didn’t spend more was due to who it was to be spent on imo.
Were these transfer targets sprung upon them at the last minute?

Quote:
No question that the squad needs clearing out too.
Do you think mourinho didn’t want to sell players like rojo, Darmien and the like? You’re just highlighting why woodward should be as far away from transfers as possible.

Quote:
Mourinho was acting the @#%&! before the season ended. He wanted the sack as soon as the ink was dry on his extension.
Care to provide evidence he wanted the sack? What was his personal payoff, about 1 season’s wage? So he wanted a one season payoff rather than continue earning 15m+ per season until 2020 and beyond? And probably bonuses on top if he wins the league and such.

Unread 04-03-2019, 09:19 PM
dunk

Practically everything you post is supposition based on your hatred of Woodward and what you have read on the Sanc. But you want me to come to you with facts?

We finished 2nd in the league and the cup and spent £80m on Mourinho’s transfer targets the following summer. Everything else is opinion, interpretation and supposition.

The performances of the team now that he’s gone are the other fact, obvs.

The evidence he wanted the sack is his behaviour, there were stories doing the rounds about that long before the FA Cup final. He then spent the summer undermining his players every chance he got. He was the virus, I told you everything would sort itself the second he was removed and here we are. Just wait.

Unread 04-03-2019, 09:20 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Who?

Surely our resurgence under Ole shows Ed made the right call in not caving into Mourinho's demands. It's not about the money,it's who you spend it on and I for one am delighted it wasn't on Maguire or Perisic or Willian. Even more so now we have Martial tied down for years to come.

Ole has earned the job and I don't believe he is a puppet. With Phelan we have a management team who know how to build a title winning team in the image of Manchester United. Not Ajax or Inter Milan. And United already have a talented core of players who have come out of their shell under Ole.
The owners pal.

Let’s wait and see who we sign in the summer before letting Woodward off the hook, because it’s not that far fetched to think we could still end up with past it players and Harry £#%&!ing Maguire...

Our record on transfers before Mourinho wasn’t very good either, with most of them being shipped out already after disastrous United careers.

Agree Ole deserves the job, my problem is and always has been with the structure above the manager. Which until I see evidence it’s changed will worry the £#%&! out of me, because I’ve got no confidence in Woodward or the board when it comes to supporting the manager with the right signings.
Closed Thread