United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 18-08-2014, 09:57 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Nervous is a little different from scared, tbf, especially as there were 3 debutants. Half of yesterday's players won't be first choice anyway.

Add Carrick, RvP/Welbeck, maybe Adnan, Shaw and Rafael to the side, then hopefully a couple of signings, then more training ground work.

The rest of the window is key, but other than that it's way too early to be genuinely concerned.
how long do you expect it to take on the training ground until United have remembered basic defending?

Unread 18-08-2014, 10:09 AM
dunk

If you're adding RvP, Welbeck and Adnan, that means at least 1, probably both of Rooney and Mata are dropped...

Unread 18-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
how long do you expect it to take on the training ground until United have remembered basic defending?
Probably about the same time it takes Moyes to get United to play to the rhythm he wants.

They are definitely 'up for the fight' though, as you pointed out in February 2014:

Quote:
I mentioned at the time that it was further proof if proof were needed that the players are up for the fight and that Rooney in particular is Moyes' man on the pitch

obviously the Moan weren't interested and refused to see it
Also bang on about the senior players, specifically Vidic and Evra (), upping their game for Moyes. Particularly good to see the likes of Welbeck, Cleverley and Young looking better under Big Moyeseh. All three had immense seasons, tbf.

Quote:
united will struggle for the entire season if more players don't step up and start scoring, so it's good to see the likes of welbeck, cleverley and young looking better in recent matches; having jones and rafael playing well is also key and evra has stepped up as well - the senior players all needed to up their games and get the £#%&! over the fact united have a new manager and evra (and vidic before him) have certainly done that...

Unread 18-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
If you're adding RvP, Welbeck and Adnan, that means at least 1, probably both of Rooney and Mata are dropped...
Januzaj and RvP works for me. Wonder what Kagawa would be like with them pair?

Unread 18-08-2014, 10:46 AM
vangaalsbigballs

kagawa will only be played when there are other shit @#%&!s on the pitch. We will never know how he will gel with the likes of RVP, januzaj, mata.

Unread 18-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Withers

Quote:
Couple of weeks after he buys a couple of decent defenders.

Unread 18-08-2014, 10:58 AM
dunk

Quote:
Be nice to see Kagawa, RvP, Januzaj and Welbeck...

Rooney is a huge problem, as is Mata at present.

Unread 18-08-2014, 11:05 AM
Neo

Quote:
Dunno pol, you tell us. How about chucking James McArthy into the mix too, seeing as he's the player we so desperately should have signed.

Quote:
one mistake United made in the summer which imo has been overlooked was allowing Everton to take McArthy while we got Fellaini. should have just been a lot more ruthless obviously last summer. mcarthy is exactly the type of player we should have available to step in and out of the side in rotation and from the bench regardless of the big signing(s) we also needed.

not read too much insight into the whole situation tbh, but the interconnectedness of everything wigan, everton and us did in the summer seems to have led to us failing to exploit our position as the dominant club in that cosy little arrangement

Unread 18-08-2014, 11:20 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
As far as Young and Smalling are concerned, I'm not sure there's much to remember And Blackett is obviously raw.

They hopefully won't be in the side most of the season. The new system needs good communication, which takes time. Getting Carrick fit and into that backline could be a huge plus. I'm worried that even if we do get two athletic, cultured and aggressive defenders like Rojo and Benatia we still lack an organiser back there.

Unread 18-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
As far as Young and Smalling are concerned, I'm not sure there's much to remember And Blackett is obviously raw.

They hopefully won't be in the side most of the season. The new system needs good communication, which takes time. Getting Carrick fit and into that backline could be a huge plus. I'm worried that even if we do get two athletic, cultured and aggressive defenders like Rojo and Benatia we still lack an organiser back there.
This is vital IMO. It's also one of the reasons I was in favour of signing an experienced defender like Godin - whilst he's not the most technically-gifted player, he is vocal and has excellent leadership and organisational ability, which we are badly lacking at the back.

All well and good having cultured defenders who can pass like Pirlo, but if you haven't got a leader who can organise them it will be just as messy as the Swansea game.

Unread 18-08-2014, 11:41 AM
andyroo

Don't like suggesting it but... is De Gea possibly part of the problem with the defence?

He's great at his own job and I'm his biggest fan but, you know, isn't he supposed to play a part in organising them and conveying assurance and security behind them? Skittish displays in defence don't reflect well on the keeper. Would welcome coherent arguments against this proposition.

Unread 18-08-2014, 11:43 AM
dragflick

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Don't like suggesting it but... is De Gea possibly part of the problem with the defence?

He's great at his own job and I'm his biggest fan but, you know, isn't he supposed to play a part in organising them and conveying assurance and security behind them? Skittish displays in defence don't reflect well on the keeper. Would welcome coherent arguments against this proposition.
No. Yhbr you stupid Aussie bastard.

Unread 18-08-2014, 11:43 AM
dunk

Quote:

He lacks something that might come in time, but at the moment there is no presence or personality to him. He's obviously not a commanding presence, but for all the top saves he makes there are a load of soft goals being conceded.

Unread 18-08-2014, 11:45 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
There's the coherent argument. Thanks.

Unread 18-08-2014, 11:50 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
He lacks something that might come in time, but at the moment there is no presence or personality to him. He's obviously not a commanding presence, but for all the top saves he makes there are a load of soft goals being conceded.
he's part of a failing defensive unit, so questions will understandably be asked. He arguably could have done a little better for the swansea winner. ....but the bigger issue is how exposed he is on a regular basis.

In some ways, the keeper is only as good as the defence in front of him.

Unread 18-08-2014, 11:52 AM
andyroo

The defence itself is so exposed because of the utterly rank midfield.

If anyone can tell me what that abominable fro-headed turd was up to with that second goal I'd be impressed.

Unread 18-08-2014, 11:52 AM
vangaalsbigballs

Quote:

that would have been partially true if there weren't 3 clowns ahead of him in the defence.

Still can't stop laughing at the suggestion of Jones being next duncan edwards after 2 months into his mufc career

Unread 18-08-2014, 11:53 AM
dragflick

Quote:
The defence itself is so exposed because of the utterly rank midfield.

If anyone can tell me what that abominable fro-headed turd was up to with that second goal I'd be impressed.
Spinning round looking where the ball was and who he was meant to be marking. The #@&%!.

Unread 18-08-2014, 11:53 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
he's part of a failing defensive unit, so questions will understandably be asked. He arguably could have done a little better for the swansea winner. ....but the bigger issue is how exposed he is on a regular basis.

In some ways, the keeper is only as good as the defence in front of him.
All true. Alarming how often he is exposed just the once but we concede.

Unread 18-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Whip Hubley

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick