United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 04-10-2023, 12:15 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfers do Charlie
Let's assess him when he's played 10 games behind the first choice defence.

Any keeper would struggle behind the everchanging rota of shit@#%&!s he's had to play behind.
Not sure we have the time for this. The mistakes I've seen have little to do with the players in front of him. His long passing has been aimless. He goes to ground too fast and dives funny. I can see his distribution improving with a settled back four (which I can't see ever being a thing) but don't see how the basics will get much better.

Need Grimson to provide a more technical analysis than that though

Unread 04-10-2023, 12:18 PM
Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
I want expecting him to be this poor. The most frustrating thing though is that he isn’t even good at the one thing we bought him for - that whole sweeper keeper thing.
I only saw the YouTube highlights of him before he joined, and even in them his shot stopping was average at best, but that's all I'd seen of him, so was hoping ETH knew enough about him that it would turn out fine. That doesn't look likely, and like you say, even the main the point of bringing him in isn't looking great either.

Another farcical signing in the making

Unread 04-10-2023, 12:27 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfers do Charlie
Let's assess him when he's played 10 games behind the first choice defence.

Any keeper would struggle behind the everchanging rota of shit@#%&!s he's had to play behind.
Looking solely at last night's incidents....
1st goal - not at fault, freak deflection
2nd goal - defence carved open, good finish
Penalty - he should pay Casemiro's fine. Absolute disgrace
3rd goal - sits down. What a cretin.

Unread 04-10-2023, 12:32 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
We should have gone for Aaron Ramsdale.
could have got raya cheaper. or costa for more beans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Looking solely at last night's incidents....
1st goal - not at fault, freak deflection
will only comment on this, as I left the room at 1-1, but.... he was indecisive.

Unread 04-10-2023, 12:39 PM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I don’t think he’ll get back into the team after the afcon.
Shame the Afcon isn't on sooner.

Unread 04-10-2023, 01:24 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
will only comment on this, as I left the room at 1-1
Why?

Unread 04-10-2023, 01:29 PM
Ethers

He’s been poor, no way around it. His distribution has gradually got worse, in fairness that’s probably in part because of the ever increasing number of different defenders he’s been playing with. You can see there’s not really much of an understanding there.

Far too early to write him off, but the signs aren’t good. Not many keepers come back from making as many howlers as he has right at the start of their spell at a new club.

Unread 04-10-2023, 01:55 PM
Neo

Exclamation

The experts on here told us that it wouldn't matter about having a goalkeeper that can actually make saves, as the modern game is all about sweeper-keeper distribution.

The treatment of a genuine club legend has been shameful by all those involved. Chucked out without a testimonial after dunk crafted an online hate campaign that would make the killers of Caroline Flack blush.

Ronaldo, Greenwood, De Gea, Antony, the list goes on. The Mob have done just as much damage to the club in the last 12 months as the Glazers.

Unread 04-10-2023, 01:58 PM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
The experts on here told us that it wouldn't matter about having a goalkeeper that can actually make saves, as the modern game is all about sweeper-keeper distribution.

The treatment of a genuine club legend has been shameful by all those involved. Chucked out without a testimonial after dunk crafted an online hate campaign that would make the killers of Caroline Flack blush.

Greenwood, De Gea, Antony, the list goes on. The Mob have done just as much damage to the club in the last 12 months as the Glazers.

And some quilters ignored the damage permanently cowering on your line does

£350k a week and upset he didn’t get a testimonial

Unread 04-10-2023, 02:03 PM
Offerington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

Ronaldo, Greenwood, De Gea, Antony, the list goes on. The Mob have done just as much damage to the club in the last 12 months as the Glazers.
club legend. For what ffs?! Shipping goals in at West Ham, West Brom and having a good ebening?

Unread 04-10-2023, 02:13 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

Wish I could take credit, but he played himself out of the club over the last 5 years.

Phil Jones is more of a legend tbh.

Unread 04-10-2023, 02:25 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
Why?
I am going to assume you mean why did I leave the room and not why wouldn't I comment on something I didn't know about. ;0)

had to catch a train. was not a flounce.

Unread 04-10-2023, 02:31 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
I only saw the YouTube highlights of him before he joined, and even in them his shot stopping was average at best, but that's all I'd seen of him, so was hoping ETH knew enough about him that it would turn out fine. That doesn't look likely, and like you say, even the main the point of bringing him in isn't looking great either.

Another farcical signing in the making
Same. I ignored what I saw in the YouTube videos. His inability to catch a ball. His habit of parrying the ball back into the feet of the opposition. That strange diving technique. Like you, thought they were just anomalies.

Worried now.

Unread 04-10-2023, 02:33 PM
believe

I was worried he’d end up getting lobbed a lot from being so far up the pitch. I wasn’t expecting him to get lobbed from six yards out.

Unread 04-10-2023, 02:38 PM
shenwen

Quote:
I was worried he’d end up getting lobbed a lot from being so far up the pitch. I wasn’t expecting him to get lobbed from six yards out.

His positioning has been dreadful.

Still can't get over him rolling up for the corner and then jogging back even as Galatasary broke with the ball.

Unread 04-10-2023, 02:39 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen

His positioning has been dreadful.

Still can't get over him rolling up for the corner and then jogging back even as Galatasary broke with the ball.
Looked like he was running through quick sand ffs.

Unread 04-10-2023, 02:42 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

I know this post is slightly tongue in cheek but i'm starting to think people are doing De Gea a real disservice. He was at United for over a decade and for the vast majority of that time he was an outstanding goalkeeper, arguably the best in the premier league at one stage.

The last couple of years he was poor but lets not pretend like he was useless. Some of the saves he pulled off down the years to win us games were unreal (i'm thinking arsenal away, i'm thinking the save at stamford bridge from mata's free kick)... ...it's no coincidence he looked his absolute best under Mourinho when he had Romero pushing him for his place.

Like most of our players, De Gea regressed in the last few years because there's £#%&! all competition for places and players got too comfy.

Unread 04-10-2023, 02:42 PM
Ethers

Quote:

Unread 04-10-2023, 02:49 PM
Neo

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I know this post is slightly tongue in cheek but i'm starting to think people are doing De Gea a real disservice. He was at United for over a decade and for the vast majority of that time he was an outstanding goalkeeper, arguably the best in the premier league at one stage.

The last couple of years he was poor but lets not pretend like he was useless. Some of the saves he pulled off down the years to win us games were unreal (i'm thinking arsenal away, i'm thinking the save at stamford bridge from mata's free kick)... ...it's no coincidence he looked his absolute best under Mourinho when he had Romero pushing him for his place.

Like most of our players, De Gea regressed in the last few years because there's £#%&! all competition for places and players got too comfy.

https://youtu.be/iXzknjqMQRc?si=Y0OSIFqjc5kTEVEC
The Mob won't like it Sparky, but the truth is that there is a close symmetry between the career trajectories of David and our top all-time goalscorer, in that they were both outstanding, absolutely outstanding, for the majority of their time at United, both had moments of nearing the exit door whilst at their peak, both stayed on at the club to complete over a decade of service, before both inevitably dropped off from their world-class standards in their latter years, playing in teams that also dropped in quality.

One is (rightfully) treated as a legend by The Mob, whilst the other is disgracefully lambasted as a root cause in our decline that should never darken our doors again, even for a deserved and long overdue testimonial.

One thing is for sure, once The Mob have you within their sights, its game over, as De Gea and Greenwood have seen. Antony is far from out of their clutches yet IMO...

Unread 04-10-2023, 03:02 PM
VanHaaksbergen

Just when you thought you were out ..

First we had Rooney who was taking £300k out the club when he basically couldn't run anymore & scoring single digits.

We get him off the books. Great.

Then we needlessly hand De Gea a 6 year contract on obscene salaries, compounding it with Ronaldo's contract so that between them they're taking almost 1 million out the club a week.

Finally get rid of those 2 .. then we go and make Onana the third most expensive keeper in history 12 months after he joined his previous club on a free. Cumulatively there's around £70 million commitment wrapped up.

The wanton waste is just staggering. It's as if no lessons are ever learned. New personnel, same mistakes. We were the more deceived