United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 16-08-2023, 08:14 AM
Coracao

I'd imagine everyone wants a striker and another midfielder. Getting them is another matter.

Unread 16-08-2023, 08:17 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
I'd imagine everyone wants a striker and another midfielder. Getting them is another matter.
Yeah, seems the morons amongst us think that Kane was gettable and EtH chose Hojlund over him though. Like number 9s and 10s are scattered everywhere and are going for 15m.

Unread 16-08-2023, 08:30 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
This. Does anyone on here think we don’t need more? Some cracking strawman arguments coming out here.

Unread 16-08-2023, 08:33 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
This. Does anyone on here think we don’t need more? Some cracking strawman arguments coming out here.
No, we need more - 100% agree.

Problem is always the owners though. Imagine thinking (not you) that EtH is happy and doesn't want a bigger squad

Unread 16-08-2023, 08:34 AM
pedr0

I think the point is valid. if we'd signed, say, Amrabat and Taremi already...would the forum be saying "we desperately need mason mount as well"?

Unread 16-08-2023, 08:39 AM
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
I think the point is valid. if we'd signed, say, Amrabat and Taremi already...would the forum be saying "we desperately need mason mount as well"?
no one was saying that before we'd signed anyone, in fact this is the first time in history anyone has ever said the sentence "we desperately need mason mount"

Unread 16-08-2023, 08:42 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
They'd probably be saying:

"Erikson needs replacing desperately, he can't manage 45 minutes never mind 90! Are there no attacking midfielders at Ajax ETH can buy "

Or something along those lines.

Unread 16-08-2023, 08:44 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim
You DO get away with murder on here. I've never seen such energy and commitment put into a wum tbh. (outside of Jem and Welly)
The more you take the bait….

Unread 16-08-2023, 09:27 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim
Sorry, I must have been thinking of someone else who would spend all night arguing with his alt-account on RI.
I did not have an alt account. I don't how many times I have to say abaf was real, but if the choice is between me being mad enough to do that or you being mad enough to think I would....

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
They'd probably be saying:

"Erikson needs replacing desperately, he can't manage 45 minutes never mind 90! Are there no attacking midfielders at Ajax ETH can buy "

Or something along those lines.
yeah, but no. amrabat and pavard apparently want to come. we could have had both for approx mount. eriksen wouldn't even be playing. the mount purchase was utterly pointless - with foresight and hindsight - but it should never have been a priority. if we are in sell to buy mode, that was a criminal waste of funds. neville might actually be right that The Scottish Player is our best option. that's how bad things are. still.

whilst I would blame the glazers for everything, this is on 10h and his stupid midfield ideal. we need a much better player than mount to make it work. mainoo can't get fit quick enough. it needs sorting by saturday.

liverpool allegedly sniffing round palhinha.

and people think this is a wum?

oh, and.... martial and greenwood, obvs.

Unread 16-08-2023, 09:33 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I did not have an alt account. I don't how many times I have to say abaf was real, but if the choice is between me being mad enough to do that or you being mad enough to think I would....

yeah, but no. amrabat and pavard apparently want to come. we could have had both for approx mount. eriksen wouldn't even be playing. the mount purchase was utterly pointless - with foresight and hindsight - but it should never have been a priority. if we are in sell to buy mode, that was a criminal waste of funds. neville might actually be right that The Scottish Player is our best option. that's how bad things are. still.

whilst I would blame the glazers for everything, this is on 10h and his stupid midfield ideal. we need a much better player than mount to make it work. mainoo can't get fit quick enough. it needs sorting by saturday.

and people think this is a wum?

oh, and.... martial and greenwood, obvs.
Not sure it does. No one takes league matches seriously until after the international break apparently. Or at least, United don’t.

Unread 16-08-2023, 09:45 AM
marlo

Quote:
exactly my argument.

we signed first the player we honestly didn’t need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
So what other prolific, experienced striker do you want with Hojlund? And Hojlunds preferred position is right through the middle, so where would this other forward play?

What formation do you want to see?
i name someone also everything things they are distinctly average and not good enough for us.
you know the team that conceded 23 shots to wolves at home.

There are lots of strikers out there

The thjngs with mount is…

if we signed Amrabat and olise for the price of him…
Amrabat, Cassimero, Bruno, vdb, maino , olise and possibly The Scottish Player that’s a good enough midfield group for this season

We can then buy another striker and All of a sudden we have a decent squad.

At the moment we’ve spend 60 on a player that will be on the bench if we sign a defensive midfielder.
G nev is already shoe horning him in at RW. I thought mount was the missing peice of the midfield puzzle

the frustrating thing is ETH has been backed he just keep squandering our money.
Antony last season and Mount this season.

Unread 16-08-2023, 09:49 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
exactly my argument.

we signed first the player we honestly didn’t need.

i name someone also everything things they are distinctly average and not good enough for us.
you know the team that conceded 23 shots to wolves at home.

There are lots of strikers out there
So name 3 viable options.

Unread 16-08-2023, 09:51 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
yeah, but no. amrabat and pavard apparently want to come. we could have had both for approx mount. eriksen wouldn't even be playing. the mount purchase was utterly pointless - with foresight and hindsight - but it should never have been a priority. if we are in sell to buy mode, that was a criminal waste of funds. neville might actually be right that The Scottish Player is our best option. that's how bad things are. still..
Quote:
exactly my argument.

we signed first the player we honestly didn’t need..
My memory might be failing me, it wouldn't be the first time, but wasn't Bruno and Erikson an important partnership last season right up until Erikson got injured, and then once he was injured we instantly looked worse? Pretty sure that was the general consensus on the forum at the time.

So if that's the case, and if Erikson can no longer perform up to the standard that he started his United career at after his injury, then wouldn't logic dictate that he needs replacing? The Erikson thread is here, it seems my memory is just fine after all.

Quote:
been saying it.
he is our best midfielder. a genius.

he is even bringing the best out of bruno is kinda playing in that 3rd midfielder free role.
Quote:
he has essential took the main midfield role off him.

the orchestrator ...would you now agree ..

bruno has a free role while eriksen is our best midfielder. the glue. the heart beat ()

if we can tell casimero to wake up as he hasn't looked aggressive but slow and ponderous so far... we can get 3rd.
"Genius", "Bringing the best out of Bruno", "The heartbeat".

But that player doesn't need replacing when it's clear that he can no longer be a mainstay within the starting 11... Very very odd.

Said time and again, it's not a question of Mount or Amrabat. We need both, but at the moment we still have The Scottish Player who can play that defensive midfielder role, not that well granted, but he can play there. Without Mount we only have Erikson, who cannot play 90 minutes of one match, never mind every match. It's clearly a position that needed to be addressed in the transfer market, which we have done.

Unread 16-08-2023, 09:54 AM
Whip Hubley

Annihilation. "Mount a luxury signing" crew AOTS.

Unread 16-08-2023, 09:54 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
They'll be quoted £100m now, & Palhinha is 28, not 21 like Caceido so they'll be getting bent over.

Unread 16-08-2023, 10:01 AM
jem

Quote:
My memory might be failing me, it wouldn't be the first time, but wasn't Bruno and Erikson an important partnership last season right up until Erikson got injured, and then once he was injured we instantly looked worse? Pretty sure that was the general consensus on the forum at the time.

So if that's the case, and if Erikson can no longer perform up to the standard that he started his United career at after his injury, then wouldn't logic dictate that he needs replacing? The Erikson thread is here, it seems my memory is just fine after all.

"Genius", "Bringing the best out of Bruno", "The heartbeat".

But that player doesn't need replacing when it's clear that he can no longer be a mainstay within the starting 11... Very very odd.

Said time and again, it's not a question of Mount or Amrabat. We need both, but at the moment we still have The Scottish Player who can play that defensive midfielder role, not that well granted, but he can play there. Without Mount we only have Erikson, who cannot play 90 minutes of one match, never mind every match. It's clearly a position that needed to be addressed in the transfer market, which we have done.
I note that you haven't quoted me on our midfield balance last year.

Unread 16-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Baron

Quote:
the frustrating thing is ETH has been backed he just keep squandering our money.
Antony last season and Mount this season.
Last season he asked for Antony at the start of the window, the price was more like £45m by all accounts. United dallied, chased De Jong all summer and then came back to Ajax late in the window when they wouldn't have had a chance to get a replacement & instead had to be faced with an offer they couldn't refuse.

That isn't on ETH, that's on United / the transfer clowns doing our deals.

Whether you think Antony is worth that fee is obviously up for debate, but we'd of had a lot more money to spend on other players if United could get the deals done that he identifies. It was also a classic new manager going for characters & talent he already knows to help the transition.

This summer I don't see a big problem, United should / need to get rid of Maguire. We could & should still get another more experienced striker - the Taremi fella is still available. The midfield can and might well still get sorted, West Ham will come back & do something stupid like offer the £45m we want for McTommers I reckon as they are even worse than we are in the market.

If we end up with another striker & midfielder, and Mainoo can get minutes we have a very balanced squad with a much higher ceiling than the one he inherited just 12 months ago.

You need to give the guy a bit of time ffs, just look at what has happened with Arteta getting years & half a billion at Arsenal. Takes a while to implement the change you need at these levels. Quick fixes are a thing of the past, and doubly so when it's United operating in these markets.

The sins of the father hang over us, £#%&!ing Maguire on £250k p/w etc

Purging that isn't easy.

Unread 16-08-2023, 10:04 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I note that you haven't quoted me on our midfield balance last year.
I notice you didn't say that Erikson was a pointless signing and that his inclusion in the team was unnecessary at any point last season

Unread 16-08-2023, 10:09 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
They'll be quoted £100m now, & Palhinha is 28, not 21 like Caceido so they'll be getting bent over.
I think fulham already wanted silly money.

fulham bought jimenez for £5.5mio, incidentally. smart thinking.

Quote:
I notice you didn't say that Erikson was a pointless signing and that his inclusion in the team was unnecessary at any point last season
https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showp...&postcount=581

I didn't go further than the first search result. I'm sure I could find 10 more relevant posts. but everyone knows I have been consistent on this for over a decade.

Unread 16-08-2023, 10:11 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I think fulham already wanted silly money.

fulham bought jimenez for £5.5mio, incidentally. smart thinking.
Yeah I heard they quoted West Ham the same money as whatever they were selling Rice for.

West Ham promptly bid £40m & didn't get a reply

Jimenez, sadly, is a busted flush after his terrible clash of heads. Shame as he was excellent & would have been a fine 3rd choice for us.