United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-02-2022, 11:54 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Have you ever thought about a career in PR dunk?

Unread 04-02-2022, 11:54 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
You’re either able to see the bigger picture, or you’re you, Marlo, saffers et al, blinkered the £#%&! up.
Why so defensive

It was a compliment. You could spin bullshit for a living.

Unread 04-02-2022, 11:55 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
What Ethers said.

Also, I think it's a fair point. There was very little bullshit coming out of the club in such a public manner when Ole was in charge. Having players and managers contradicting each other in public is never a good look for the club.
I was only considering today tbf.

I don't think it's a fair point at all. I'd rather have underperforming players getting called out than a culture where you high five your captain for getting sent off in a 4-1 defeat.

Unread 04-02-2022, 11:57 AM
dunk

Quote:
Why so defensive

It was a compliment. You could spin bullshit for a living.
It’s only bullshit to you, because you don’t want to accept the realities of the situation. You’re still in denial.

We aren’t a big club anymore and haven’t been for a while.

The goal isn’t trophies/success. It’s protect assets, top 4 and keep the tills ticking.

Like it or not, that’s what Ole was brought in for, that’s what he did, and did well.

No ‘bullshit’ that is what happened and what is going on.

Unread 04-02-2022, 12:04 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
It’s only bullshit to you, because you don’t want to accept the realities of the situation. You’re still in denial.

The goal isn’t trophies/success. It’s protect assets, top 4 and keep the tills ticking.

Like it or not, that’s what Ole was brought in for, that’s what he did, and did well.

If winning nothing in 3 years after spending £460m is doing well, I'd hate to see a manager doing badly for us.

Unread 04-02-2022, 12:08 PM
dunk

Quote:
If winning nothing in 3 years after spending £460m is doing well, I'd hate to see a manager doing badly for us.
If we needed £1bn spending at current levels, then £460m isn’t enough. If we hugely overpaid for players available even though they weren’t first choice, then it isn’t enough. It’s a skewed metric to judge on in this instance. That money got us, what, 10-12 players? We needed at least 6 in and 6 out on the day he arrived, minimum, plus he’d been lumbered with shite from the previous incumbent/Woodward, that had to be accommodated.

The winning nothing means nothing when his target was top 4 and he got it in both full seasons.

Whether he would’ve been able to take us on to a proper title challenge etc was always in doubt, every person had doubts about his tactical acumen, but the club were never arsed about that, as recently as last summer they were absolutely delighted with the job he was doing, despite money spent, because he was achieving all that they wanted from him.

Unread 04-02-2022, 01:20 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
I was only considering today tbf.

I don't think it's a fair point at all. I'd rather have underperforming players getting called out than a culture where you high five your captain for getting sent off in a 4-1 defeat.
Yeah the high-five was misery

But I disagree. I'd rather the manger have a positive relationship with their players, even if they're shit and need shifting on, than have a relationship where players are publicly correcting the manager. It undermines him and shows everyone that everything is not fine between the players and the manager. It's what accelerated everything going sour under Mourinho.

I don't think it's asking a lot for a manager to keep relationships with players as positive as possible while also not considering them part of their long term plans. In fact, I think that's one of the most basic roles of a 'manager' in any sort of industry.

Unread 04-02-2022, 01:24 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Yeah the high-five was misery

But I disagree. I'd rather the manger have a positive relationship with their players, even if they're shit and need shifting on, than have a relationship where players are publicly correcting the manager. It undermines him and shows everyone that everything is not fine between the players and the manager. It's what accelerated everything going sour under Mourinho.

I don't think it's asking a lot for a manager to keep relationships with players as positive as possible while also not considering them part of their long term plans. In fact, I think that's one of the most basic roles of a 'manager' in any sort of industry.
good job you're not in charge of a football team then isn it.

soft arse

Unread 04-02-2022, 01:26 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
he had 3 seasons at the club.
After the first half season , he said he needed a pre season to get the players fitness up and we would start pressing while playing the United way.
he went on to spend £500m on the squad and didn’t give us a single trophy in return.
The defence he spent £160m on needs to 2/3 new players while with most want his 2 marquee defensive signings sold.
This was his squad, a squad unbalanced and undisciplined. He was backed unlike mourinho towards the end and all he gave us for it was a few tears when he left telling “we will be fine”

He did not do a very good job.

If he “achieved” whatever it is you think he did while not spending any money then it could be considered a “impressive” job but he didn’t.
A manager who spent half a billion and didn’t win a trophy can’t be sad to have done a very good job
so 400 becomes 500 .. arent you an accountant

Unread 04-02-2022, 01:34 PM
saffers

Dunk and pure.

What a duo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
I must have imagined what happened with Lukaku then.

And I’m pretty sure it’s only you and Saffers who talk about the ‘cultural reboot’ on here tbf. A quick search confirms that.
Cultural reboot alert.

Quote:
You’re either able to see the bigger picture, or you’re you, Marlo, saffers et al, blinkered the £#%&! up.
Rent free!

Unread 04-02-2022, 02:04 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
good job you're not in charge of a football team then isn it.

soft arse
agree.

I understand what Patty is saying (although disagree), but someone should have told Fergie he'd have been more successful if only he'd had a more positive relationship with all the players.

Unread 04-02-2022, 02:10 PM
dunk

Quote:
agree.

I understand what Patty is saying (although disagree), but someone should have told Fergie he'd have been more successful if only he'd had a more positive relationship with all the players.
As soon as Fergie didn’t have a positive relationship with them he could decide to £#%&! them off or not. Doesn’t appear to be an option for managers now, so it’s get on with them or alienate them.

Unread 04-02-2022, 02:10 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
agree.

Different manager and completely different time where players taking to social media to contradict their managers wasn't really a thing.

And when Fergie did speak publicly and candidly about players, it always seemed calculated for one reason or another. This all just seems ridiculously cack-handed and completely par for course for this club currently.

Although once Ralf has won as much and as consistently with the team as Fergie did, he can say what he wants and I wouldn't care a jot.

Unread 04-02-2022, 02:24 PM
marlo

Quote:

Ok dunk

Seeing as ole did a very good do you think other people in football will feel the same...

Will any clubs board look at the very good job ole did at United and think they want some of that “keeping a lid on things while spending 400/500m” ?

Unread 04-02-2022, 02:27 PM
Ethers

Quote:

Will any clubs board look at the very good job ole did at United and think they want some of that “keeping a lid on things while spending 400/500m” ?
Christ

Unread 04-02-2022, 02:29 PM
dunk

Quote:
Ok dunk

Seeing as ole did a very good do you think other people in football will feel the same...

I don’t care it doesn’t matter. Whether he gets another job has no bearing on whether he got United consecutive top 4 finishes for the first time since Fergie. Just a nonsense, straw man argument.

If he took over Spurs and got top 4 does that make the job he did with United better or worse? What about if he gets the PSG job and wins the league? It makes no difference. He did the job asked of him for 2 and a half seasons, and he did it well, finishing behind only the 2 best teams in Europe in his only full seasons.

Is that enough for the fans, no, we all believe we should be challenging for/winning the league, but that’s not the reality.

Unread 04-02-2022, 02:38 PM
tatty

Are we still banging on about Ole?

Great player, shit manager, only brought in to shut the fans up for a couple of seasons.

Ralph: no chance while the owners are backing their ‘assets’, same as any other manager that comes in.

The problem is the owners and we are £#%&!ed until that changes.
Closed Thread