United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-08-2023, 01:01 PM
Dr Stranger

Spain have been far too good. So many of the games seem chaotic, but they’ve controlled it throughout and shown some really good moments of quality.

Easily the best team I’ve seen play in the bits and pieces I’ve caught.

Unread 20-08-2023, 01:02 PM
jem

should be another 5 mins, but the ref has been a total @#%&!.

Unread 20-08-2023, 01:02 PM
Dr Stranger

De gea would have dropped that

Unread 20-08-2023, 01:03 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
should be another 5 mins, but the ref has been a total @#%&!.
We got away with cheating on that penalty, stop moaning.

Unread 20-08-2023, 01:04 PM
andyroo

¡Olé!

Rorschach

Result!

NedKelly

Couple of the backshots of the Spanish girls there makes it all worth while

Unread 20-08-2023, 01:05 PM
Bunker Buster

Vamos las putaaaaasss

Unread 20-08-2023, 01:05 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Couple of the backshots of the Spanish girls there makes it all worth while
Nedward!

Unread 20-08-2023, 01:06 PM
jem

better team won. england women's team every bit as disappointing as the men's team. unimaginative cloggers.

Unread 20-08-2023, 01:06 PM
Lok

They were really lucky not to get that girl sent off for a second yellow when she kicked the ball away.

But Spain were the better team. England just hoof it up and rely on power. They defended ok but it was desperate stuff at times.

Unread 20-08-2023, 01:08 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
better team won. england women's team every bit as disappointing as the men's team. unimaginative cloggers.
They played much better football when winning the Euros last year, nqat.

Still, at least we will be spared the mindblowingly cringey photo ops with Sunak now.

Unread 20-08-2023, 01:09 PM
Rorschach

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Still, at least we will be spared the mindblowingly cringey photo ops with Sunak now.
I wouldn't bet on it.

I wish I could have global copyright on the word "brave" for the next 72 hours.

Unread 20-08-2023, 01:10 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
They played much better football when winning the Euros last year, nqat.

Ric finding a way to insert politics into completely unrelated topics never gets old

Unread 20-08-2023, 01:10 PM
est.1878

Lionmehsses

Unread 20-08-2023, 01:11 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Ric finding a way to insert politics into completely unrelated topics never gets old
Come on pol, loads of people (even the non-political) were absolutely dreading it

Unread 20-08-2023, 01:13 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:

Unread 20-08-2023, 01:24 PM
shenwen

Curiosity got the better of me so I tuned in for the second half. Maybe it was the pressure of the final but was genuinely surprised at just how bad the football was. The Guardian had me believing women’s football was this superior product where nobody cheats or wastes time. Some of the players seems decent enough technically but overall the standard was poor.

How it gets more girls playing though and gives a boost to league attendances. Said the same after the euros though, and for the latter not much changed.

Unread 20-08-2023, 01:32 PM
Ethers

League attendances haven’t changed much?!

Unread 20-08-2023, 01:32 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Curiosity got the better of me so I tuned in for the second half. Maybe it was the pressure of the final but was genuinely surprised at just how bad the football was. The Guardian had me believing women’s football was this superior product where nobody cheats or wastes time. Some of the players seems decent enough technically but overall the standard was poor.

How it gets more girls playing though and gives a boost to league attendances. Said the same after the euros though, and for the latter not much changed.
Attendances went up 200% after the euros in the women's league. Not sure how it could have had much more of an impact.

The standard isn't great. There are few decent players and a few very physical girls but overall it isn't the easiest sport to watch. It's been said a million times but if the goals and pitch were smaller it would be more entertaining.

For all the promotion and TV coverage, it's still an amateur game.

The biggest changes are at youth level. When I was at school there was one girl in our year that played football. That was out of around about 125 girls. In my daugthers class (30) there are 6 playing week in week out for the local team. It's a huge shift. Maybe in 15 years time the standard will be a lot higher as a result of the increase in players and TV coverage. But there's a long way to go.
Closed Thread