United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: who was the better player?
titi aka thierry henry 5 8.77%
the king aka eric cantona 45 78.95%
both great players, too hard to call!! 7 12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 24-11-2009, 01:25 PM
MUFC One Love

Default Re: who was the better player?? henry or cantona?

I remember when Eric got sent off for £#%&! all at Arsenal, I had that season review on video and use to watch it all the time.

Unread 24-11-2009, 01:49 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
I remember when Eric got sent off for £#%&! all at Arsenal, I had that season review on video and use to watch it all the time.
"Champions Again".

Unread 24-11-2009, 01:50 PM
stmfh

Thumbs up Re: who was the better player?? henry or cantona?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed81
Exactly. Lets put it this way my auld fella has been going to OT pretty regularly since the 60's and after Denis Law he says he's the best he's ever seen, and I think a lot of the older reds would say the same thing.
Early sixties for my old man but ditto.

Unread 24-11-2009, 01:50 PM
razzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Anyone that has seen Cantona play wouldn't even need to ask this question.

He was more than just a player. He was a leader, the biggest influnce this club had for over 20 years (along with Robbo) in terms of pulling us out of the shit. His important goals in our title wins will never be forgotten and having him in the side helped the like of Beckham, Scholes et al to flourish.

Cantona wasn't snide. If he felt wronged, he'd kick the player. Not behind someone's back, right in front of everyone. He took no shit and the fact that United fans still sing his name says everything to me. That man transformed our club and we wouldn't be where we are now if it wasn't for him.

Henry - great player, absolute @#%&! of a man. One of the snidest £#%&!ers to play the game yet he comes across as a 'good guy' The type of player that was born to play for Arsenal. He joined them when they were snide, he's left them in the exact positin they were in 15 years ago - whinging, snide £#%&!ers.

There's the difference. Cantona shaped United, Arsenal will always be Arsenal.
And that's the end of that. Except to say that it is a bit disingenuous to bring their respective international records into the debate. Cantona and JPP were fantastic together for France in their day and using the fact that they didn't win any international honours during that era is akin to discrediting Best or Giggs for the same reason.

Incidentally, Cantona would have played for France in 96 and 98 instead of Guivarche, but he didn't want to play the lone centre forward making space for Zidane and Djorkaeff to exploit. Before his ban he was used to playing as a playmaking midfielder for France, but in his absence Jacquet changed the way they set up, and as it was successful he couldn't very well change it to accommodate Eric. He asked him to play the CF role which the new system required, but he refused. He never forgave himself for it either, and it apparently led to his imminent loss of hunger for the game.

Unread 24-11-2009, 02:31 PM
zzalsar3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
I think Henry is a majestic footballer, but a shithouse. Cantona's qualities aren't there in columns, or stats (although he's no £#%&!ing slouch of course!), they're defined by how 76,000+ chant his name to this day, how you'd see grown men break down watching him step up to break Scousers hearts in a cup final, because you knew he'd be there to make the difference. Statistically Henry's gone missing, Cantona hasn't, and Cantona will never be missing from this football club. Henry's already forgotten bar a page on Wikipedia & some jumped up @#%&!s that dribble over YouTube.
Great post. As was Wiganste's a few posts back.
Closed Thread