United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-04-2023, 08:50 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Need a 9 pt swing in 5 games. Not going to happen. For all the low IQ “bottling” talk at this time of year, Newcastle have shown remarkable fortitude with a set of players who collectively have no experience in competing for any meaningful league position at this point in the season (Trippier aside). Second half comeback today without which, yes, it would have been more foreseeable to see a way back in for Liverpool given Newcastle still have Brighton + Arsenal to play.

Unread 01-05-2023, 12:02 AM
woody78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Probably left themselves too much today, but wouldn’t surprise me if the raggy bastards finished with 9 straight wins.
Said this the other day.

Luckily we should have enough of a cushion. 2 wins and 3 draws from 6 games will get us top 4

Unread 01-05-2023, 04:45 AM
shenwen

Liverpool have just scraped two home wins - against Forest and Spurs - and have a poorer away record than us. There's not much to worry about there.

See it's the some of the same folk who were worried a fortnight ago that Spurs would catch us. Always with the worst case scenarios

Unread 01-05-2023, 07:22 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Liverpool have just scraped two home wins - against Forest and Spurs - and have a poorer away record than us. There's not much to worry about there.

See it's the some of the same folk who were worried a fortnight ago that Spurs would catch us. Always with the worst case scenarios
They won at West Ham in the week too and have some pretty kind fixtures coming up. They’ll finish strong IMO.

In our hands though and nothing to worry about if we do our jobs.

Three more wins from six 👍

Unread 01-05-2023, 07:48 AM
Ethers

Quote:

It’s absolutely relentless. Where do they find the energy?

We okay Villa at home, and it’s apparently a tough game and a big risk for us to slip up in. Liverpool have got Villa at home, and it’s just another one of their apparently easy fixtures.

They can win every single game if they want. 4th is done.

Unread 01-05-2023, 08:52 AM
Dr Stranger

Relentless

Don’t suggest there might still be work to do with 6 games to go. No siree.

The reactions to the reactions are far worse than the reactions

Unread 01-05-2023, 11:29 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Relentless

Don’t suggest there might still be work to do with 6 games to go. No siree.

The reactions to the reactions are far worse than the reactions
I hear you Doc. I just can’t be arsed to elaborate as your point gets firmly shut down if it doesn’t align with certain others who pretty much agree on everything funnily.

Unread 01-05-2023, 12:09 PM
Ethers

Shut down

It’s pixels on a screen mate. You can say what you want, nobody is stopping you. But we’re also allowed to disagree

The same people who think Liverpool are in danger of catching us, and thought Spurs were in danger of catching us, are also generally the same people who thought City weren’t in danger of catching Arsenal btw. Motwyw

Unread 01-05-2023, 12:28 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Shut down

It’s pixels on a screen mate. You can say what you want, nobody is stopping you. But we’re also allowed to disagree

The same people who think Liverpool are in danger of catching us, and thought Spurs were in danger of catching us, are also generally the same people who thought City weren’t in danger of catching Arsenal btw. Motwyw
But you don’t just disagree. You reduce every position to just pissing and moaning, ignoring any features of someone’s point. You reduce most arguments to the bare bones of people complaining and nothing more.

Of course ignoring any positive posts. I’ve had a couple of back and forths with Sparky recently where he was worried about Spurs and Newcastle finishing top four at our expense and I disagreed. You’re nowhere to be seen there.

It’s funny that you cite people going to the worse case scenario because that’s exactly what you do. Someone points out liverpool are in good form, have some decent fixtures and will finish strongly, and that apparently equates to thinking Liverpool will catch us.

I don’t think anyone has suggested they will (unless I’ve missed something) merely that we still have work to do for 4th. And a lot of that is due their form. And Brighton. Their form has just nudged the bar up for what we might need to finish top four. I don’t think that’s an unreasonable position to take.

We’ve got 63 points. Brighton can still get 73. Liverpool 71. A few weeks ago we could have been forgiven for thinking 65 might be enough. We should still be fine, but it’s not done. There’s work to do and that’s pretty much all anyone is saying.

Unread 01-05-2023, 12:31 PM
shenwen

The maths are completely in our favour. As is the fact that Liverpool have been quite shit all season.

When Liverpool next drop points, it'll be Brighton we need to watch out for

I get the pain fo failure in the past decade runs deep but come on.

Edit:

Quote:
We’ve got 63 points. Brighton can still get 73. Liverpool 71

Unread 01-05-2023, 12:37 PM
Dr Stranger

There we go. Right on cue. The most disingenuous poster on the forum comes steaming in to completely misrepresent a point, selecting part of a post to present an argument that nobody has made

Unread 02-05-2023, 07:34 AM
shenwen

Quote:
There we go. Right on cue. The most disingenuous poster on the forum comes steaming in to completely misrepresent a point, selecting part of a post to present an argument that nobody has made
I was joking as you posted immediately after I mentioned Brighton. So predictable that I even predicted it.

“We’ve got 63 points. Brighton can still get 73”

Who’s being disingenuous now?

How about “we’ve got 63 points. Brighton have 52” or “we can get 81 points. Brighton can get 73”.

If there’s a negative angle to be found, you’ll find it, magnify it and then claim others are being disingenuous when they call it out.

So £#%&!ing tiring . How do you keep it up?

Unread 02-05-2023, 08:23 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
I was joking as you posted immediately after I mentioned Brighton. So predictable that I even predicted it.

“We’ve got 63 points. Brighton can still get 73”

Who’s being disingenuous now?

How about “we’ve got 63 points. Brighton have 52” or “we can get 81 points. Brighton can get 73”.

If there’s a negative angle to be found, you’ll find it, magnify it and then claim others are being disingenuous when they call it out.

So £#%&!ing tiring . How do you keep it up?
How about reading immediately past the sentence you quoted where I said ‘we should be fine’. Or the countless times I’ve said we’ll
Make top four. Oh, Because that doesn’t suit your silly strawman argument.

If I find only the negative angle, then why do I think we’ll make top four? Surely such exhausting negativity would result in me thinking Liverpool or Brighton will catch us and it’ll all come tumbling down.

Where have I said we won’t get 81 points? I’m merely pointing out a points total we MIGHT need and how that total is rising because of the form of other teams. I’m not saying we won’t get it. THAT would be negative.

I don’t take the most negative angle, mate. That’s the point. You just like to pretend I do. Which is why you have to quote single lines from whole posts.

There’s a very reasonable point in there that you will fully ignore, but YOU isolate part of it because YOU want it to appear relentlessly negative. You’re the one who magnifys any negativity. Just so you can moan about how negative people are.

Like I said: the reactions to the reactions are far worse than the reaction.

You have no interest in engaging in any kind of discussion and just snidely take what you want from posts and skew it. Just to look like a top super-positive red. That’s the really tiring part. Anyone who actually wants to discuss the merits of the games or the top four situation just gets dismissed with ‘it’s done’ or called negative.

The threads then just descend into this kind of conversation. Which is never would it people just stuck to the point, rather than the same old default arguments.

Disingenuous, repetitive and tedious. You’re like a tabloid.

Shall we get back on topic now?

Unread 02-05-2023, 08:25 AM
Sapien

I love the smell of beef in the morning

Edit: wait, that sounds a bit weird

Unread 02-05-2023, 08:29 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien

Shenners only takes about 24 hours to reply, so hopefully this should all be over by around Friday afternoon

Unread 02-05-2023, 03:40 PM
BigJim

£#%&!ing hell. We'll be arguing about how many days there are in a week next.

Unread 02-05-2023, 03:43 PM
Whip Hubley

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim
depends on how many rest days you have.

Unread 02-05-2023, 03:51 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim
Gregorian or Julian calendar?

Unread 02-05-2023, 04:02 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien

I don't want to shit stir but back when there was debate about whether we were in a title race and 5-8 points off top with about 45 left to play for plenty of posters said we had no chance. Some of those same posters now think worse teams have a better chance of catching us with much fewer games left to play.

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showt...ght=title+race

Unread 02-05-2023, 04:31 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
But you don’t just disagree. You reduce every position to just pissing and moaning, ignoring any features of someone’s point. You reduce most arguments to the bare bones of people complaining and nothing more.

Of course ignoring any positive posts. I’ve had a couple of back and forths with Sparky recently where he was worried about Spurs and Newcastle finishing top four at our expense and I disagreed. You’re nowhere to be seen there.

It’s funny that you cite people going to the worse case scenario because that’s exactly what you do. Someone points out liverpool are in good form, have some decent fixtures and will finish strongly, and that apparently equates to thinking Liverpool will catch us.

I don’t think anyone has suggested they will (unless I’ve missed something) merely that we still have work to do for 4th. And a lot of that is due their form. And Brighton. Their form has just nudged the bar up for what we might need to finish top four. I don’t think that’s an unreasonable position to take.

We’ve got 63 points. Brighton can still get 73. Liverpool 71. A few weeks ago we could have been forgiven for thinking 65 might be enough. We should still be fine, but it’s not done. There’s work to do and that’s pretty much all anyone is saying.
Correct!
Closed Thread