United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 11-01-2023, 10:26 PM
Ethers

I don’t see how paying for the player someone might become is odd logic? Paying for potential is surely the idea when buying young players.

Obviously it’s not an exact science, but if you genuinely believe he has what it takes to become one of the best in the world (and let’s not forget that our manager has worked with him day in day out for 2 years) then it makes sense to pay whatever was necessary.

How much would a 12-year old Messi be worth? Would it be odd logic to pay for the player you think he’s going to be?

Unread 11-01-2023, 10:30 PM
dunk

We didn’t drop £9m on Hannibal when he was 16 because the youth team needed a lift tbf.

Unread 11-01-2023, 10:35 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
It’s not. The price of players has come down. Players from the Dutch league aren’t traditionally priced that high because the Dutch league is fairly shite. Haaland was reported at £50m. We all know his wages and agents fee will be twice that but….

Run through all the transfers in the prem last summer and they’re nothing like Antony’s price. It was one of the highest transfers in the world ffs.
Haaland wasn't 50m you're talking actual shite mate...

Run through all the prices ?

Nunez 88m
K Phillips 57m
Sterling 57m
Pepe 70
Isak left Newcastle for 70m
Jack £#%&!ing grealish 100m
Cucerella 70m
Ricahrlison 70m

It's a ridiculous statement 40m hence the

Unread 11-01-2023, 10:37 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Imagine writing off a player after a handful of games in which he’s scored 5 goals and has gradually been improving bit by bit in his all round play

Btw last night he did look to cross multiple times but there was no one in the box. Or, worse still, there was only Elanga waiting to do f*** all. He still put a couple in. The taking his man on will come the more he plays but he looks like he’s under instruction to prioritise keeping the ball atm.
That does appear to be the case & he clearly feel's the need to follow any instructions to the letter of the law, as we all know that when he did that turn & spin earlier in the season, ETH subbed him-off the first chance he got & it looks as if he fears the consequences off disospointing his Manager again, rightly or wrongly.

Unread 11-01-2023, 10:41 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
I don’t see how paying for the player someone might become is odd logic? Paying for potential is surely the idea when buying young players.

Obviously it’s not an exact science, but if you genuinely believe he has what it takes to become one of the best in the world (and let’s not forget that our manager has worked with him day in day out for 2 years) then it makes sense to pay whatever was necessary.

How much would a 12-year old Messi be worth? Would it be odd logic to pay for the player you think he’s going to be?
I just think it’s disingenuous justification for a very high fee. I think there’s a big risk factor that should depress the price. I think that price represents the finished article or at least very little risk. I accept that Erik knows more than anyone about that player. So we trust him fo sho. My guess is that he was the price he was because we were desperate and the selling club wasn’t.

Unread 11-01-2023, 10:43 PM
dunk

Barca dropped £136m on Dembele. Antony is a bargain at £50m less tbh.

Unread 11-01-2023, 10:43 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
I just think it’s disingenuous justification for a very high fee. I think there’s a big risk factor that should depress the price. I think that price represents the finished article or at least very little risk. I accept that Erik knows more than anyone about that player. So we trust him fo sho. My guess is that he was the price he was because we were desperate and the selling club wasn’t.
I think it seems pretty accepted that it was a grossly inflated fee, but worth it for the potential. It can be both.

Unread 11-01-2023, 10:45 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Haaland wasn't 50m you're talking actual shite mate...

Run through all the prices ?

Nunez 88m
K Phillips 57m
Sterling 57m
Pepe 70
Isak left Newcastle for 70m
Jack £#%&!ing grealish 100m
Cucerella 70m
Ricahrlison 70m

It's a ridiculous statement 40m hence the
Nunez wasn’t £88m pal. Antony was the highest transfer over the summer…

Nunez looks like a shocking bit of business… let’s hope our lad doesn’t turn out to be the same.

Unread 11-01-2023, 10:46 PM
Wayne Jenkins

Quote:
£40-50m tops I would say. £86m is f***ing mental based on what I’ve seen.
So about ten games then?

Sad to see Waffles have a meltdown so early in the new year

Unread 11-01-2023, 10:46 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I think it seems pretty accepted that it was a grossly inflated fee, but worth it for the potential. It can be both.
Not according to Bunks.

Unread 11-01-2023, 10:48 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Jenkins
So about ten games then?

The lad's scored in half of them as well.

Hyman_Roth

Quote:
So about ten games then?

Clearly I’m not writing him off. You’re allowed an opinion based on 1st impressions as far as I’m aware. He looks very expensive based on what I’ve seen. He slots on Saturday and I’ll be his friend for life…

Bunker Buster

United fans talking about a player who has scored 5 in 11 or something and contributed skills, excitement and desire in every game he's played...

Scoring and silencing arsenal on his debut, goal in the derby and a shit housery levels that infuriated opposition fans...

Getting wound up about his fee and being left footed....

All while managed by a guy who absolutely loves him and has won numerous trophies with him in the side....

It's a mad world...

Unread 11-01-2023, 10:50 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
United fans talking about a player who has scored 5 in 11 or something and contributed skills, excitement and desire in every game he's played...

Scoring and silencing arsenal on his debut, goal in the derby and a shit housery levels that infuriated opposition fans...

Getting wound up about his fee and being left footed....

All while managed by a guy who absolutely loves him and has won numerous trophies with him in the side....

It's a mad world...
No one’s wound up. You’re just being weird. It’s just minor opinion stuff. Stop being such a shut down merchant.

Unread 11-01-2023, 10:52 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
No one’s wound up. You’re just being weird. It’s just minor opinion stuff. Stop being such a shut down merchant.
Wound up.

40 million pounds guy, on "watch" don't like the look of him, one footed, needs to come inside merchant....

You fall back on this option stuff loads recently, isn't mine just one.....

He can be a little overpriced and a great addition to our squad can't he ?

Shutting down positivity.....

Unread 11-01-2023, 11:00 PM
Hyman_Roth

I’ve said over and over how brilliant ten Hag has been for this club. I’ve said over and over what brilliant transfers we’ve secured and what a difference they’ve made.

I’ve also said I’m not massively impressed by Antony so far.

Obvs I crossed the line with that one by the looks of it.

Unread 11-01-2023, 11:01 PM
Bunker Buster

Because you're talking rubbish, Apology accepted ...

Unread 11-01-2023, 11:03 PM
Wayne Jenkins

Quote:
Clearly I’m not writing him off. You’re allowed an opinion based on 1st impressions as far as I’m aware. He looks very expensive based on what I’ve seen. He slots on Saturday and I’ll be his friend for life…
I never said you're not allowed an opinion, but it's good to see you've admitted it's an opinion based on a very limited sample size.

I think most understand United could have got him cheaper if they didn't mess around for so long and handled the transfer window better - I saw a report I think in the Athletic saying we could have got him for £68m earlier in the window for example.

But getting a young, highly talented winger who makes the Brazil squad and who Ajax desperately wanted to keep, for £40m is nonsense. We need to give him time and not rush to judgements after five months like the two forum noddies.

Unread 11-01-2023, 11:11 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
I never said you're not allowed an opinion, but it's good to see you've admitted it's an opinion based on a very limited sample size.

I think most understand United could have got him cheaper if they didn't mess around for so long and handled the transfer window better - I saw a report I think in the Athletic saying we could have got him for £68m earlier in the window for example.

But getting a young, highly talented winger who makes the Brazil squad and who Ajax desperately wanted to keep for £40m is nonsense. We need to give him time and not rush to judgements after five months like the two forum noddies.
I’ve even said it’s a very early opinion and should be treated as such but you’ve ignored that. I’ve also only really picked up on a tweet that justifies the price based on potential. That sounded weak to me. You seem to be shouting about what you think I’ve said or what others have said. Shame really that people project their arguments in such basic way but hay ho.

I think most accept he’s over priced. My £40-50m estimate seems low based on other daft transfers but I maintain £86m is way over the top too.

Hopefully it will prove otherwise. Let’s see how he gets on…..

Unread 12-01-2023, 12:26 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Because you're talking rubbish, Apology accepted ...
Fingers crossed he's as one-footedly shit as that Ryan lad who used to play for us was.