United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Harri Jaffa

Fletcher starting wouldn;t be a bad thing.

Fletcher starts means that Tevez and Hargreaves will be on the bench ready to cause havoc as the game moves on

Unread 20-05-2008, 02:44 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It's shame Fergie didn't get an opportunity to try Hargreaves in midfield over the last few weeks. I think it's more likely he'll get the nod over Fletcher, I'm just basing my selection on what I've seen from both players in that role this season. Fletcher's record in big games is also a factor.

In an ideal world, Anderson starts, but presumably fitness problems have troubled him recently. That or Fergie has been saving him for the final, which is doubtful.
To be fair Hargo played and played superbly at home against Roma in midfield, I'm happy to play him there again and if he plays like that we'll win

Unread 20-05-2008, 02:45 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Fletcher starting wouldn;t be a bad thing.

Fletcher starts means that Tevez and Hargreaves will be on the bench ready to cause havoc as the game moves on
I don't understand this idea of holding players back for later in the game. Why give away the initiative? Wouldn't it be better for Hargreaves and Tevez to cause havoc from the start? I doubt Chelsea are considering keeping their best players back to make an impact in the 70th minute, could be 2-0 down by then.

Unread 20-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I don't understand this idea of holding players back for later in the game. Why give away the initiative? Wouldn't it be better for Hargreaves and Tevez to cause havoc from the start? I doubt Chelsea are considering keeping their best players back to make an impact in the 70th minute, could be 2-0 down by then.

Fergie has always trusted his players that is why

Sounds stupid, when you think he is planning for later in the game but that is what he is doing.

Fergie trusts his players to either be winning or be in a winnable situation by around the 60 - 70 minute mark. At that point he decides how and who he will kill the game off.

That is just his style and its tough to argue against it.

If it was up to me i'd be starting with Hargreaves, Carrick, Scholes, Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez as the front 6 btw

Unread 20-05-2008, 03:44 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It's shame Fergie didn't get an opportunity to try Hargreaves in midfield over the last few weeks. I think it's more likely he'll get the nod over Fletcher, I'm just basing my selection on what I've seen from both players in that role this season. Fletcher's record in big games is also a factor.

I'm yet to be convinced by this Flecther the big game player argument. Where does this come from?

Unread 20-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
I'm yet to be convinced by this Flecther the big game player argument. Where does this come from?
A couple of goals scored against Arse in the cup, a crossed header that went in v Chelsea and some alright performances against them. Better without the ball than with it.

Unread 20-05-2008, 03:50 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
A couple of goals scored against Arse in the cup, a crossed header that went in v Chelsea and some alright performances against them.
Had a very good game against Roma last year too. He's become a solid player whjo you can put in and he won't let you down. Can't play regularly as he has abig problem with stamina. I'm pleased for him, I have been harsh in the past but he shouldn't be selected ahead of any of our main 4 midfielders, Anderson possibly aside depending on his fitness levels and fatigue.

Unread 20-05-2008, 03:53 PM
dodger

Quote:
A couple of goals scored against Arse in the cup, a crossed header that went in v Chelsea and some alright performances against them. Better without the ball than with it.
De-motivated, demoralised and under strength Arsenal side so scratch that.
I'll give you the chelsea goal but didn't it bounce of the top of his head? And was it about three years ago?
None of that says he's a the go-to man for a eauropean cup final to me.

Unread 20-05-2008, 03:56 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
None of that says he's a the go-to man for a eauropean cup final to me.
He isn't, some people get carried away about him in my opinion. He is a good option off the bench these days if you get an injury in midfield or need someone man-marked.

Unread 20-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Had a very good game against Roma last year too. He's become a solid player whjo you can put in and he won't let you down. Can't play regularly as he has abig problem with stamina. I'm pleased for him, I have been harsh in the past but he shouldn't be selected ahead of any of our main 4 midfielders, Anderson possibly aside depending on his fitness levels and fatigue.
Everyone was excellent against Roma even Alan Smith to be fair. Fletch is okay and I have no problem with him as a squad player but he lacks pace, strength and has no balls. One thing I have noticed is when he has quite an average game (to the level expected of a Manchester United player) some quarters do tend to go overboard when it comes to praise of his performance.

Unread 20-05-2008, 04:44 PM
MJ Ramone

VDS

EVRA
VIDIC
RIO
WES

HARGREAVES/ANDERSON
CARRICK
SCHOLESY

RONALDO
TEVEZ
ROONEY

I'm equally excited as I am crippled with nerves. I can't concentrate on anything.
This time tomorrow...3 hours till KO

Unread 20-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
Absolutely. Its become mantra to say that Fletch performs in big games. He's a decent player to scrap for the ball and put himself about, but there is no way he should be starting ahead of Anderson or Hargreaves, when he has nothing like their technique. We need the physicality of Anderson or Hargreaves tomorrow to avoid being steamrolled by Ballack and Lampard.

Unread 20-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Gazw649

VDS

Brown
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Ronaldo
Carrick
Scholes
Haregreaves
Park

Rooney

Unread 20-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Mackey
Absolutely. Its become mantra to say that Fletch performs in big games. He's a decent player to scrap for the ball and put himself about, but there is no way he should be starting ahead of Anderson or Hargreaves, when he has nothing like their technique.
You're having a giggle aren't you? Fletcher is probably on par with Hargreaves technically. He's matured into a very tidy midfielder.

And it's become a mantra to say Fletch performs in the big games because he does. As well as the ones already mentioned, let's not forget Arsenal in the cup at Villa Park. Liverpool at home last year. The dicking of Arsenal on their own ground in 05. The list goes on.....

Unread 20-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Terry Silver

----------------------VDS

Brown --------- Rio ----- Vidic ----------- Evra

-----------------Hargreaves

---------Scholes --------- Carrick

Ronaldo ---------------------------- Park

----------------- Rooney

(All those lines are divots in the pitch)

Unread 20-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
You're having a giggle aren't you? Fletcher is probably on par with Hargreaves technically. He's matured into a very tidy midfielder.

And it's become a mantra to say Fletch performs in the big games because he does. As well as the ones already mentioned, let's not forget Arsenal in the cup at Villa Park. Liverpool at home last year. The dicking of Arsenal on their own ground in 05. The list goes on.....
Have you seen Hargreaves' free kicks or noticed his crossing ability?

Ever seen Fletcher replicate that, or wonder why he doesn't take set-pieces?

Fletchers performances have improved this season, but he still gives the ball away too much, (as does Hargreaves admittedly) and he doesn't create a lot.

Unread 20-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone

This time tomorrow...3 hours till KO
at virtually the exact time you posted that, i was sat on the bog having a dump thinking the same thing motwyw

2hrs 15mins now

for those who missed it yesterday, the team:

VDS
Brown
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra
Carrick
Scholes
Ronaldo
Tevez
Rooney
Giggs

Unread 20-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Mackey
Have you seen Hargreaves' free kicks or noticed his crossing ability?

Ever seen Fletcher replicate that, or wonder why he doesn't take set-pieces?

Fletchers performances have improved this season, but he still gives the ball away too much, (as does Hargreaves admittedly) and he doesn't create a lot.
Yes, and striking ability is one area where Hargreaves is better than Fletcher. But then I've never seen Hargreaves play a perfect through-ball like I've seen Fletch do for Ruud or Rooney. Fletch has got the edge in terms of touch and control for me too.

Unread 20-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Coracao

I think fergie will start Giggs. I may be alone on this however.

........................Vds

Wes........Rio.........Vidic......Evra

.......Cougar..Scholes..Carrick

Ronaldo.......Rooney.....Giggs

Unread 20-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
I think fergie will start Giggs. I may be alone on this however.
somebody read one of my posts ffs

same team as beat Chelsea 2-0 is my theory.

got it!
Closed Thread