United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-12-2007, 02:38 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I don't know why the suggestion of Dennis Bergkamp was treated with such disdain.
because as far as i can tell poppy is steadily moving through the entire arsenal squad of the period and suggesting each in turn.

anyway, back to topic. freddy adu must be the best in the world by now, mustn't he?

Unread 12-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
What about Fernando Redondo? Phenomenal player with an incredibly graceful style of play. Hugely influential for Madrid. Not as successful as Zidane at international level - though he did manage to win the Copa America in 1993 - but the man was so good at his job that he allowed Madrid to win the Champions League with Campo and Karanka in central defence! A very consistent performer too.
definately a cracking player, just don't think he played enough games at the top level to be considered a great.

Unread 12-12-2007, 02:53 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up The Maradona of the Carpathians himself...

Gheorghe Hagi

Unread 12-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Why Don?

I'm sure we were linked to Sammer for 10m in the Summer of 96.

Some personal faves of mine.

Stoitchkov
Hagi
Savicevic
Batistuta

Unread 12-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Don?
I'm sure we were linked to Sammer for 10m in the Summer of 96.

Some personal faves of mine.

Stoitchkov
Hagi
Savicevic
Batistuta
all great players, i'd put Baggio above any of them though.

[youtube]HcTS9H0usf0[/youtube]

Unread 12-12-2007, 04:01 PM
DinGbAt

Zidane is the most overrated player of all time. Which is not to say that he wasn't a good player, but the way people talk about him is ridiculous. He's the best example of modern football sensationalism, people deciding he's God based on a couple of matches they saw and a few youtube clips of him spinning round on the ball. Do you remember after Madrid knocked us out of europe and everyone was going on about the 'galacticos' as the greatest team ever, based on one match? The media hype was unbelievable. Then they got completely outplayed in the next round by an average Juventus. No one had even heard of Zidane till he scored a couple of headers from corners in 1998.

Unread 12-12-2007, 04:03 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinGbAt
Zidane is the most overrated player of all time. Which is not to say that he wasn't a good player, but the way people talk about him is ridiculous. He's the best example of modern football sensationalism, people deciding he's God based on a couple of matches they saw and a few youtube clips of him spinning round on the ball. Do you remember after Madrid knocked us out of europe and everyone was going on about the 'galacticos' as the greatest team ever, based on one match? The media hype was unbelievable. Then they got completely outplayed in the next round by an average Juventus. No one had even heard of Zidane till he scored a couple of headers from corners in 1998.
absolute and complete utter %@#$&!s

Unread 12-12-2007, 04:08 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Then they got completely outplayed in the next round by an average Juventus.
I remember that. Juve lost 2-1 in Madrid, but then won it at home. Didn't Madrid get a penalty in injury time that would've taken the game to extra time, but Figo completely bottled it?

Unread 12-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Firswood Red

another Baggio comp

[youtube]sjj1PksMOco[/youtube]

seen talk of Bergkamp on here, similar type of player to Baggio but not in his class. Very unfortunate to waste his best years at Juve when Milan were dominant.

Was suprised to see how many club goals he got 291 in 644 apps. Off all the players seen mentioned on here he was probably the one i'd have liked to have seen most at OT. Think he'd have fitted in brilliantly. Always remember his performances for Italy in 94, easily the best player in the tournament.

Unread 12-12-2007, 04:14 PM
DinGbAt

Quote:
I remember that. Juve lost 2-1 in Madrid, but then won it at home. Didn't Madrid get a penalty in injury time that would've taken the game to extra time, but Figo completely bottled it?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ue/3024733.stm

Unread 12-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
absolute and complete utter %@#$&!s
I hate to say it but I agree with Pure.

Unread 12-12-2007, 04:20 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Cheers for that. I recall Figo being very subdued in that game. Strange.

Nedved, another class act. Didn't we try to sign him before going after Veron? I think he'd have been a much bigger success for us.

Unread 12-12-2007, 04:22 PM
DinGbAt

Quote:
Cheers for that. I recall Figo being very subdued in that game. Strange.

Nedved, another class act. Didn't we try to sign him before going after Veron? I think he'd have been a much bigger success for us.
Nedved is a quality player and one of my personal favourites. Still going strong, scored a great goal at the weekend. He would have suited the premier league much better than Veron.

Unread 12-12-2007, 04:27 PM
dodger

Cantona. nft.

Unread 12-12-2007, 04:39 PM
borsuk

nedved was absolutely superb. a genuine all-round player.

watching a player week in, week out takes away some of their aura, though. based on giggs' performances for us in europe over the years, and his general play in the league, i'd expect him to be mentioned if a similar list were being put together on, say, a barca board. same with scholes and keane.

anyone else a fan of hristo stoichkov? yes, i know it's not post-maradonna but i used to love watching that guy. the fact he was completely hatstand made it all the better. utterly unpredictable, completely mad. and an absolute footballing genius.

Unread 12-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
nedved was absolutely superb. a genuine all-round player.

watching a player week in, week out takes away some of their aura, though. based on giggs' performances for us in europe over the years, and his general play in the league, i'd expect him to be mentioned if a similar list were being put together on, say, a barca board. same with scholes and keane.

anyone else a fan of hristo stoichkov? yes, i know it's not post-maradonna but i used to love watching that guy. the fact he was completely hatstand made it all the better. utterly unpredictable, completely mad. and an absolute footballing genius.
Juve would have won the CL final in 03 if Nedved hadn't been suspended. That year Nedved & Scholesy were the 2 best players in Europe. He was at his peak then. Still think the likes of Keane, Scholes & Giggs were at the top level for a longer period of time.

Unread 12-12-2007, 04:54 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
You're spot on about Giggs. If you read any of the European footballing press, you'd see how highly rated he is on the continent. I believe Johan Cruyff wanted him in his Barca Dream Team post 94. Inter Milan have also been long term admirers.

Quote:
I believe there are quite a few fans of the great man on here, myself included. Completely mad, as you say. Broke a referees foot once after stamping on it upon receiving (predictably) another red card

Unread 12-12-2007, 04:55 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
What about Fernando Redondo? Phenomenal player with an incredibly graceful style of play. Hugely influential for Madrid. Not as successful as Zidane at international level - though he did manage to win the Copa America in 1993 - but the man was so good at his job that he allowed Madrid to win the Champions League with Campo and Karanka in central defence! A very consistent performer too.
The Real fans were really pissed when he left. I'm pretty sure they made some kind of protest at the airport or something to try and stop the move going through. Something like that, anyway. Shame he never got a chance to do anything in Italy.

Unread 12-12-2007, 05:18 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Veron is defo up there...just never for us unfortunately

Unread 12-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
The Real fans were really pissed when he left. I'm pretty sure they made some kind of protest at the airport or something to try and stop the move going through. Something like that, anyway. Shame he never got a chance to do anything in Italy.
I don't know if was at the airport, but I remember there being a protest from the fans when he was sold. He also got a phenomenal reception when he returned with Milan in the Champions League.

Not your typical footballer either. I recall hearing that he actually declined an offer from Dr Bilardo to play for Argentina at the 1990 World Cup because he wanted to finish getting his law degree! Although I believe there was a theory that this was just an excuse, and that he was actually such a committed Menottista that he wouldn't play under Bilardo

I also recall that at one stage he supposedly stopped drawing his wages at Milan because of all his injury problems.
Closed Thread