United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 27-07-2023, 08:38 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Still think we might end up with two forwards if we sell enough.
They need to raise funds. Realistically hojlund will be close to 40-50 million pounds. Maybe Henderson slab Fred leave for 10-20 million each.

We need martial to leave. He isn’t reliable enough to be a back up striker , there’s a lot on Hojlunds shoulders. It would be nice if there was a decent back up striker we could sign on loan. Problem is any semi decent striker is leaving to go to the Saudi league. A player like mitrovic/Ollie Watkins/ /Muani would have been really good to sign alongside hojlund.

We need Amrabat or another CM too. There’s alot of time left. We have a lot of rubbish to bin too. It’s not far fetched we can bin off 4-5 players and raise funds. The only concern is closer to the season starts teams will know how desperate we are and we will end up paying premium prices.

Realistically Hojlund and Amrabat will be our final two signings . Both good signings . A lot rests on Hojlunds shoulders.

Nothing like the glazers and recruitment making it difficult every summer for the manager .

Unread 27-07-2023, 08:43 AM
Jethro

Martinez is boiling piss again so there's that

Unread 27-07-2023, 08:44 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
lie to yourselves all you want lads

Cant control the midfield or keep the ball in there despite the addition that we didn’t need and who shit anyway

we are even playing 4 midfielders in there but getting passed through.

have literally no goal threat and the only player are missing our sancho and Antony from a attacking perspective.

we needed 2 strikers and winger and still do!

Oh and our keeper made a few passes but got chipped because he was nearly on the edge of the area.

What a great window we have had they said.

but the sages said mount in midfield will help us score more goals.
Marlo definitely prepared this post pre-Arsenal. Pleased for him that he got to use it.

Unread 27-07-2023, 08:48 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
They need to raise funds. Realistically hojlund will be close to 40-50 million pounds. Maybe Henderson slab Fred leave for 10-20 million each.

We need martial to leave. He isn’t reliable enough to be a back up striker , there’s a lot on Hojlunds shoulders. It would be nice if there was a decent back up striker we could sign on loan. Problem is any semi decent striker is leaving to go to the Saudi league. A player like mitrovic/Ollie Watkins/ /Muani would have been really good to sign alongside hojlund.

We need Amrabat or another CM too. There’s alot of time left. We have a lot of rubbish to bin too. It’s not far fetched we can bin off 4-5 players and raise funds. The only concern is closer to the season starts teams will know how desperate we are and we will end up paying premium prices.

Realistically Hojlund and Amrabat will be our final two signings . Both good signings . A lot rests on Hojlunds shoulders.

Nothing like the glazers and recruitment making it difficult every summer for the manager .
The talk is our budget is around £120m, but we’ve been playing the pauper in our deals so far and trying to change the narrative that we’re chumps. I suspect we might have more of an initial budget if needed.

We’ve spent £100m. We’ve recouped £20m. A few more deals will happen for sure IMO: Fred, Henderson, Bailly are certs to go.

That pays for Hojlund or thereabouts.

Then it’s up to who we sell. There’s still a lot of give and a lot of time. Donny, The Scottish Player, Maguire could all yet go and bring in a good amount - close to £80m. That’s enough for Amrabat and another forward.

It won’t be easy and it might be late in the window, but I can see us doing some late business for a more experienced striker/forward.

Unread 27-07-2023, 08:50 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
do you not ever get tired of being utterly negative all the time, or are you just on a constant wum?

Either way, it must be exhausting.

It's literally the 3rd 'half' of football we've played, and the first with this midfield and new gk setup. It's pre-season.

We know we need a striker, and I'm pretty sure the manager does as well since, you know, he's mentioned it a few times.

If you can't see already from that one game the advantages Onana brings to the side I can't help you. The goal was offside

The 'sages' (whoever they are), did indeed say that Mount would help us score more goals from midfield, and he will, but I didn't hear anyone say we don't need a striker.

Hope this helps, enjoy your day.
Of course he's a WUM. A tiring, not very good WUM.
But he does get some bites so he's doing something right if that's what floats his boat

As for the game - not watched it, wont watch it. It's pre-season, means absolutely £#%&! all. Could have lost 10-0 and it would mean nowt

Unread 27-07-2023, 08:51 AM
Patty_b

If there's one thing that's going to make me write of an entire season it's losing a pre-season friendly in July. I remember when we beat them preseason in 2018 and we went on to win the league or something.

We'll get a striker in before the end of the transfer window, and most likely before the start of the season.

Unread 27-07-2023, 08:52 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
The talk is our budget is around £120m, but we’ve been playing the pauper in our deals so far and trying to change the narrative that we’re chumps. I suspect we might have more of an initial budget if needed.

We’ve spent £100m. We’ve recouped £20m. A few more deals will happen for sure IMO: Fred, Henderson, Bailly are certs to go.

That pays for Hojlund or thereabouts.

Then it’s up to who we sell. There’s still a lot of give and a lot of time. Donny, The Scottish Player, Maguire could all yet go and bring in a good amount - close to £80m. That’s enough for Amrabat and another forward.

It won’t be easy and it might be late in the window, but I can see us doing some late business for a more experienced striker/forward.
Depends on what has been paid up front and in instalments. I don’t know if that budget is one of which money we already owe from previous transfer windows is already taken out of. You’d like to think it is for obvious reasons.

I think Hojlunds sewn up, without having the jinx it I think Amrabat is also agreed between the player. You’d like to think they wouldn’t have agreed player contracts if they don’t already have the budget for them them. Would be nice to have them on tour to get used to the managers style of playing

A good recruitment team would navigate their way around it. Our team seems to work on one deal at a time. We have time left before the season starts. Maybe ETHs public plea will push them a bit to get a move on. You want the players to have had 2-3 weeks settling in time with the new coach and team mates aswell

Unread 27-07-2023, 09:05 AM
ZiggyStardust

Watched it last night and it was a fairly even game but they had that extra bit of class as our midfield and forward players were nowhere near at their best
Besides their first was offside (you could see all our players stopped because they expected the flag) and the 2nd was late on when we were pushing players forward

We didn’t need last night to show that we need a centre forward (ideally two but with Martial still on the books that’s not going to happen I don’t think)

My main takeaway from the game is that going from Dave to Onana is the biggest immediate change I’ve seen in my time watching Utd
Seeing him push ahead of the centre backs to get involved with the build up after seeing Dave rooted to his line for 12 years is £#%&!ing nuts but he looked so in control doing it
Going to take OT a while to get used it I think

Hope Mainoo isn’t out long

Unread 27-07-2023, 09:09 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Are you jem, whisper it, happy with a united midfield....
it's a start. we don't have the players yet (and mainoo is a baby). if it prompts us to get [amrabat] and [rasmus], no one will care about this result.

on the other hand, how much difference will the kit make to negotiations?

Unread 27-07-2023, 09:10 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
My main takeaway from the game is that going from Dave to Onana is the biggest immediate change I’ve seen in my time watching Utd

Didn’t watch, not arsed about the result tbh. Hope Kobbie’s injury is nothing serious

Every single football fan on the planet knows we need a striker. Even Martial. 2 ideally. The fact we can’t get them/will only get one young one is down to the market and the owners. Simple.

Unread 27-07-2023, 09:12 AM
Sparky***

Losing Mainoo after 90 seconds was a big blow. Eriksen just doesn’t have the legs to compete with a midfield like Madrid’s. He’s a total non entity when we don’t have the ball.

They looked streets ahead of us in terms of passing and movement in the first half, that’s hardly a shock seeing as they were European Champions this time last year.

Unread 27-07-2023, 09:19 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Depends on what has been paid up front and in instalments. I don’t know if that budget is one of which money we already owe from previous transfer windows is already taken out of. You’d like to think it is for obvious reasons.

I think Hojlunds sewn up, without having the jinx it I think Amrabat is also agreed between the player. You’d like to think they wouldn’t have agreed player contracts if they don’t already have the budget for them them. Would be nice to have them on tour to get used to the managers style of playing

A good recruitment team would navigate their way around it. Our team seems to work on one deal at a time. We have time left before the season starts. Maybe ETHs public plea will push them a bit to get a move on. You want the players to have had 2-3 weeks settling in time with the new coach and team mates aswell
Agreed - I don’t think we’d be this far down the line with Hojlund and potentially Amrabat unless we could afford them from the initial budget.

I think the ‘one deal at a time’ thing is exaggerated. We maybe finalise deals before looking to do the same on others, but I’m sure there’s work done on Onana while Mount signs and work done on Hojlund while Onana signs.

I think there’s a marked improvement on previous summers. We’re not getting fleeced and seem to be targeting players earlier, sorting personal terms and then the finer details of the fee with the club. No £#%&!ing ‘courting’ players like De Jong all summer.

Reality is, we’re trying to get £50m plus deals done. They’re not typically done that early in the window. I suspect we’ll have Hojlund in the next week to ten days and that will be three big signings in with a bit of preseason to spare.

A lot of work is typically done late in the window and that’s even more the case when you’re reliant on sales.

As soon as it became apparent we weren’t selling the club in time for this summer, we were always going to be restricted and reliant on sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Losing Mainoo after 90 seconds was a big blow. Eriksen just doesn’t have the legs to compete with a midfield like Madrid’s. He’s a total non entity when we don’t have the ball.

They looked streets ahead of us in terms of passing and movement in the first half, that’s hardly a shock seeing as they were European Champions this time last year.
Yeah I really don’t think there’s too much to read into losing a midfield battle to the best midfield in the world.

Unless you’re Marlo.

Unread 27-07-2023, 09:19 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust

Seeing him push ahead of the centre backs to get involved with the build up after seeing Dave rooted to his line for 12 years is £#%&!ing nuts but he looked so in control doing it
Going to take OT a while to get used it I think
On the corners he looks switched on as well, actively ready to either come out and compete or stay on his line, and making the decision as it's taken. Makes a nice change from just standing on his line and hoping for the best.

Unread 27-07-2023, 09:22 AM
magic_cantona

Cool

Mainoo with the Boot Of Doom.

Any idea yet or are we just assuming the worst/likely and saying 8 weeks out?

Unread 27-07-2023, 09:22 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

I think Eriksen is in for a rough season. In this Moroccan lad comes he's benched instantly.

Unread 27-07-2023, 09:25 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
I think Eriksen is in for a rough season. In this Moroccan lad comes he's benched instantly.
Erikson is sound coming on for the last 30 in a game we are cruising or for the last 20 if we're chasing. His legs have totally gone. Still has that bit of quality but is mostly a passenger. Agree about Amrabat.

Unread 27-07-2023, 09:25 AM
dunk

Eriksen will revert to what he should’ve been last season; someone to start against the weakest sides or bring on when we’re struggling to create something or trying to control possession.

The fact we’ve not been allowed to properly invest in the midfield and striker positions, it’s always steal from one position to pay for another, cheap option, make do for another season etc. is the problem. It’s not all getting sorted until the club is sold and they’ve had a few windows to sort it.

Unread 27-07-2023, 09:26 AM
Sparky***

Madrid’s transition from defence to attack was just phenomenal. I can’t see many teams getting near that midfield of theirs.

United’s biggest problem was of course the complete lack of any focal point up front. Nothing’s changed in that respect.

Unread 27-07-2023, 09:26 AM
puressence

The striker issue is huge £#%&!ing and throwing all the eggs in one basket on a relatively young up and coming striker is equally a huge gamble. Pray we have chance with Kane cos he’s what’s needed .. enjoyed the game kobie ffs one minute injured and that was cos Casemiro fouled the player who then fell on the back of kobie 🤦🤦🤦

Unread 27-07-2023, 09:34 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
The striker issue is huge £#%&!ing and throwing all the eggs in one basket on a relatively young up and coming striker is equally a huge gamble. Pray we have chance with Kane cos he’s what’s needed .. enjoyed the game kobie ffs one minute injured and that was cos Casemiro fouled the player who then fell on the back of kobie 🤦🤦🤦
The luck we've been getting has been bizarre tbh. If shit can happen to us, it will happen

Love to see it.