United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-05-2017, 06:57 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
As much as you dislike Mata, surely even you have to concede that the intelligence of his movement and Lingard's is night and day. Mata makes runs, Lingard just runs.
I'd say Mata is more experienced and as a result knows where to be, Lingard is still learning, his movement is still good, just not as effective as yet. A bit more composure and Lingard would have stats to rival Mata from the positions he takes up.

Both suffer from our cowardly and at times blinkard forwards/tactics. So many runs from those 2, Rashers, Mkhi are completely missed..

Unread 12-05-2017, 07:11 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
That's a fair accusation. He's too quick to defer, takes the wrong option/snatches at things and is lightweight. All things you'd hope he would improve on.

His movement however, and his finding of good space is invariably very good. Often picking up dangerous positions in which to affect the game, he just doesn't affect it often enough.

I would say the same of Mata though, I just wouldn't give him shit for not being a touchline hogging right winger. And I know Mata gets more goals etc.

Experience pal. Easy to forget he's at the same stage of his career, effectively, as Martial and Rashford, almost

Personally don't think it's any coincidence the 3 of them have struggled at times in what is their 2nd season in the United team/squad and are playing under Mourinho...
Mata's movement is as good, but he's an infinitely better finisher (I actually think he's the best finisher at the club) and generally more technically gifted and talented.

Jesse has pace on him, but not much else.

I know you don't agree, but I'd have Mata ahead of him.

Unread 12-05-2017, 07:20 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Mata's movement is as good, but he's an infinitely better finisher (I actually think he's the best finisher at the club) and generally more technically gifted and talented.

Jesse has pace on him, but not much else.

I know you don't agree, but I'd have Mata ahead of him.
I'd play Mata as a number 9 tbh. Said it for ages. He's a much better, but slower, Chicharito.

Unread 12-05-2017, 07:23 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
I'd play Mata as a number 9 tbh. Said it for ages. He's a much better, but slower, Chicharito.
Really? I genuinely don't ever recall you saying that.

Why, that's just crazy enough to work!

Unread 12-05-2017, 07:26 PM
dunk

Quote:
Really? I genuinely don't ever recall you saying that.

Why, that's just crazy enough to work!
I honestly have. He's a poacher supreme, finds space, has that knack of being in the right place and is a wonderfully composed finisher, most of the time.. Perhaps the perfect 'false 9'

It's watching him attempting to be chief playmaker, farting about in the centre circle, losing the ball and being outmuscled or playing as supplementary RB I object to.

Unread 12-05-2017, 07:30 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
I honestly have. He's a poacher supreme, finds space, has that knack of being in the right place and is a wonderfully composed finisher, most of the time.. Perhaps the perfect 'false 9'

It's watching him attempting to be chief playmaker, farting about in the centre circle, losing the ball and being outmuscled or playing as supplementary RB I object to.
That Knack of finding space tends to be better coming from deep. Still think he's best at 10.

Agree I don't really want to see him pivoting slowly in the centre circle.

We've got Pogba for that.

Unread 12-05-2017, 07:33 PM
dunk

Quote:
That Knack of finding space tends to be better coming from deep. Still think he's best at 10.

Agree I don't really want to see him pivoting slowly in the centre circle.

We've got Pogba for that.

Honestly hate Mata at 10, and he won't ever play there under Jose anyway. He's too slow and too easily snuffed out of the game

Unread 12-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:

Honestly hate Mata at 10, and he won't ever play there under Jose anyway. He's too slow and too easily snuffed out of the game
He always seems to be either too far right or 20 yards too far back. His link up with zlatan and mikhi around the box has been very good at times.

Unread 12-05-2017, 07:43 PM
dunk

Quote:
He always seems to be either too far right or 20 yards too far back. His link up with zlatan and mikhi around the box has been very good at times.
Or too far forward, indulging his poacher instinct..

Unread 12-05-2017, 08:00 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
He has a good shot on him. He's capable of some good one touch stuff in and around the box. He has some attributes that stop him being totally useless and shit @#%&!.....but he generally isn't very good and, as you say, it's a poor reflection of our standards if he's first choice..which he seems to be these days.
Because we have other first choice players unavailable.

Unread 12-05-2017, 08:34 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Because we have other first choice players unavailable.
We have Martial available. We had Mata available with minutes under his belt.

Unread 13-05-2017, 03:31 PM
utd99

I slag Lingard off a lot, but I don't actually dislike him. He tries hard and does the best he can, unlike some others I could mention. I do however hate the thought that this is the new standard. Arsenal are a textbook example of what gradual lowering of standards does to a club and we would do well to study it.

Unread 14-05-2017, 08:41 AM
Swagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
2 goals in the last 5 games has me wondering have we completely lost all attacking impoteus at the most important time.

We've not been great all season but watching Mkhitaryan and Lingard up front tonight, it's shocking how easy they are to nullify. Rashford good but still too young to shoulder it all.

Ajax appear to be free scoring but suspect at the back - only problem there is that we pass up chances for fun
It's actually 3 in 5 games, a 20% increase.

2 of which were away to City/Arsenal, 2 were a European semi final.

The team is tired so our fullback and midfielders aren't going to be told to 'bomb on' all game as they did earlier on in the season, we have been playing two games a week for months now, unlike our opponents.

Our top scorer is injured. Our most creative player didn't play at City/Arsenal.
Closed Thread