United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Part 36 Offer

Default back to the bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
Is there any evidence Neville didn't travel??

bttb

?

Baron

Quote:
Is there any evidence Neville didn't travel??
Travelling squad
Goalkeepers: Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak.
Defenders: Ferdinand, Evra, O'Shea, Evans, Fabio, Eckersley.
Midfielders: Giggs, Park, Carrick, Nani, Scholes, Possebon, Gibson, Fletcher, Ronaldo.
Forwards: Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez, Welbeck.

ManUtd.com

Ginners

Quote:
bttb

?
yes, see above

Unread 23-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Travelling squad
Goalkeepers: Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak.
Defenders: Ferdinand, Evra, O'Shea, Evans, Fabio, Eckersley.
Midfielders: Giggs, Park, Carrick, Nani, Scholes, Possebon, Gibson, Fletcher, Ronaldo.
Forwards: Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez, Welbeck.

ManUtd.com
Bobbins

That means if O'Shea and Evans don't make it - Eckersley will be playing.

No worries - we'll still get a draw and then mash them at home.

Unread 23-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Part 36 Offer

VDS

O'Shea - Rio - Evans - Evra

Fletcher - Giggs

Park - Berbatov - Ronaldo

Rooney

Unread 23-02-2009, 01:39 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
VDS

Fletcher - Giggs

Rooney
Surely Carrick will play?

Unread 23-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Baron

Quote:
VDS

Fletcher - Giggs

Rooney
No Carrick, erm, Carrick ?

Unread 23-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Coracao

Quote:
£#%&!s sake, full on deja-vu going back to Milan with a patched up defense.

However, it's not quite the nightmare of playing AC last time, they had a striker with exceptional movement in Crespo, and an attacking midfielder / trequartista in Kaka who would run with the ball to exploit the gaps the makeshift defense inevitiably left. This time they just, realistically from what I've seen of Inter, need to handle an aerial threat. That's a lot more straight forwards & if the central midfield can track Stankovic & not let Muntari get time to ping off long shots we shouldn't have quite the same mauling as before.

Personally I'd stab Evans with every painkiller / anti-inflammatory going to get him out there. Vidic will be back after this so Evans can have a few weeks to get over it then.

------------------VDS

O'Shea------Rio-------Evans------Evra

Park-------Carrick------Fletcher---Ronnie

----------Rooney-----Berbs-----------

Park to play on the right for the first hour, not much gonna happen down that side as far as I'm concerned, the other side... Ronnie in front of Evra, I really hope Maicon thinks he's the %@#$&!s & bombs on to leave space for these two & Carrick to exploit. Will be the deciding factor - but knowing Mourinho he'll restrict him going past the halfway line & will want a nil-nil the boring £#%&!ing @#%&!.
This was on the bottom of an independent article at the weekend, on how to beat United...

Quote:

Mourinho always said that scoring against United, who have conceded 10 league goals this campaign, started with first killing their space and unsettling them. “First of all [allow them] no counter-attack; secondly, a minimum of six players behind the ball-line so when you lose the ball there you have those six players there. Thirdly, when you can, you do double marking on the wingers.”
So...i'd probably advise Maicon to concentrate on defending unless he wants dragging off at half time

Unread 23-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
This was on the bottom of an independent article at the weekend, on how to beat United...

So...i'd probably advise Maicon to concentrate on defending unless he wants dragging off at half time

It also goes to show why, in my opinion... he shouldn't get anywhere near United.

He might well be successful, but his teams are boring as £#%&!.

Unread 23-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Coracao

Quote:

It also goes to show why, in my opinion... he shouldn't get anywhere near United.

I don't fully buy into that. But that is a different thread entirely.

Unread 23-02-2009, 02:02 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

Reading that I can see why so many want him to manage United, it's like hearing Sir Matt I imagine, "Get men behind the ball, deny them space". That's the United way.

Unread 23-02-2009, 02:04 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

Ah but his press conferences are entertaining, if you aren't a member of the ambulance service, or a ref who is getting death threats.

Unread 23-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Reading that I can see why so many want him to manage United, it's like hearing Sir Matt I imagine, "Get men behind the ball, deny them space". That's the United way.
He is correct though...and his record against United is extremely impressive. I believe Ferguson has only beaten him once...

That's not to say he plays swashbuckling football, but he certainly knows how to get the better of us, which I think makes this tie even more intriguing.

Unread 23-02-2009, 02:13 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
He is correct though...and his record against United is extremely impressive. I believe Ferguson has only beaten him once...

That's not to say he plays swashbuckling football, but he certainly knows how to get the better of us, which I think makes this tie even more intriguing.

Yes he has shown the ability to stop us playing and struggled against Liverpool playing similar negative football.

Unread 23-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
We've hardly been paragons of attacking football in recent years in Europe. I can't remember the last time I saw a major club put in a performance as negative as ours in the Camp Nou. That wasn't just six men behind the ball, that was usually ten; and the match in Rome was very similar, with what looked like a six man defensive line at times.

Unread 23-02-2009, 02:18 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
We've hardly been paragons of attacking football in recent years in Europe. I can't remember the last time I saw a major club put in a performance as negative as ours in the Camp Nou. That wasn't just six men behind the ball, that was usually ten; and the match in Rome was very similar, with what looked like a six man defensive line at times.
True, we have played attacking football at other times though. I think in general out approach is attacking whilst we are more pragmatic on occasion, i think it is very much the other way round for Jose.

Unread 23-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Part 36 Offer

Mourinho can get to £#%&!, i'd rather Malcolm Glazer become manager than that cynical @#%&!.

Unread 23-02-2009, 02:21 PM
ScarFace

He will not play both Evans AND O'shea in the starting line up.

He's said this a few times when we've had two players that need to start but are doubts.

He'l play Fletcher RB, one of Evans/O'shea and the one who does'nt make it will be on the bench.

Unread 23-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Neon Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Precisely. And what results has this approach brought us? Near enough £#%&! all. Until the Benfica game away from home in 2006 our away record was truly shameful, our last win was against bloody Panathinaikos.

And ever since that Benfica win it's hardly been that impressive. There is less pressure on us this year I feel after ending that drought but that coincides with the suspension of Nemanja Vidic and solid right back options like Neville and Brown missing.

We cannot afford to take risks without proper insurance at the back so if we go down the cowards route tomorrow at least there will be some justification for it.

Unread 23-02-2009, 02:23 PM
MUFC One Love

Got a feeling we'll turn it on tomorrow. I get the feeling there is some weight off Fergie's and the players shoulders now we have won the European Cup again. Also Ronaldo and Rooney are no long inexperienced really and will be big players.
Closed Thread