United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-03-2016, 11:31 PM
Ethers

Henry wasn't half the player Martial is at this age.

Nobody is saying he's perfect

Yet.

Of all the things to criticise about this team, he really is incredibly far down the the list though

Unread 06-03-2016, 11:32 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/side.red
wow. Really just wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
ffs

claret everywhere.

Unread 06-03-2016, 11:33 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Henry wasn't half the player Martial is at this age.

Nobody is saying he's perfect

Yet.

Of all the things to criticise about this team, he really is incredibly far down the the list though
Well, I dunno if I'd have started a thread on it, but he's an important player so if he's taking his foot off it does need addressing. Would be interested to know what Van Gaal has said about him. Inconsistency is fine, but dropping effort levels never is.

Unread 06-03-2016, 11:33 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I think Henry was quicker to loose balls and didn't get caught on his heels as much.
The 20 year-old Henry at Monaco? The 22-year old Henry who struggled at Juventus?

Unread 06-03-2016, 11:39 PM
Billy Redface

Martial is £#%&!ing brilliant.

Pretty much the only bright spark of this season. The kid has it all and still manages to look our best threat every week in a shite side.

He makes mistakes because he's a kid. And a kid being overworked I'm his first season on football.

He has a causal style, but I don't see this supposed laziness at all.

Any suggestions he is part of our problems is utterly ridiculous.

Unread 06-03-2016, 11:40 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
The 20 year-old Henry at Monaco? The 22-year old Henry who struggled at Juventus?
Yes. I actually think Martial is more talented, but the accusation that he can be a little lethargic and even lazy is something that has followed him since his academy days. I just think it's something that needs an eye kept on it. Nothing more, just keep a bit of fire under him.

Unread 06-03-2016, 11:41 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer

Isn't there a stat about fat people with gigantic ears knowing absolutely £#%&! all about football floating around somewhere?
Believe so pal

http://i.imgur.com/dh6YzJp.jpg

Unread 06-03-2016, 11:46 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Yes. I actually think Martial is more talented, but the accusation that he can be a little lethargic and even lazy is something that has followed him since his academy days. I just think it's something that needs an eye kept on it. Nothing more, just keep a bit of fire under him.
How many times have you seen him in the flesh ? I've yet to come away from a Utd game I've seen him play in and thought - 'he was a lazy £#%&!er today' .

Someone like Memphis, I've seen it plenty of times already.

Unread 06-03-2016, 11:49 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
How many times have you seen him in the flesh ? I've yet to come away from a Utd game I've seen him play in and thought - 'he was a lazy £#%&!er today' .

I haven't really thought it until the last couple of games. But as I say, people who coached him when he was a kid felt it was something he had to guard against. Today he undoubtedly wasn't tryin hard enough, for me. Nobody is saying he's a huge problem or should be killed.

Unread 06-03-2016, 11:50 PM
utd99

Quote:
Needs more consistency with his touch, but he's not the only forward we could say that about...

Also needs to be getting shots away quicker, there was moment in the first half where he took an extra touch and then the chance had gone.

Overall he has done well in his first season in such a poor attacking side. Would've been a £#%&!ing grim season had he not signed.

Can't say he has ever come across as lazy when I've watched him play.
There have definitely been runs he could have made and didn't. He's not the only one guilty of that though.

Unread 06-03-2016, 11:52 PM
Coracao

Quote:
I haven't really thought it until the last couple of games. But as I say, people who coached him when he was a kid felt it was something he had to guard against. Today he undoubtedly wasn't tryin hard enough, for me. Nobody is saying he's a huge problem or should be killed.
I couldn't give a toss what some French £#%&!er says tbh. You didn't answer my question btw.

He has also been massively overplayed due to our manager and his transfer dealings, and IMO has been brought back from His injury too soon.

Unread 06-03-2016, 11:56 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I couldn't give a toss what some French £#%&!er says tbh. You didn't answer my question btw.

He has also been massively overplayed due to our manager and his transfer dealings, and IMO has been brought back from His injury too soon.
Only a few times is the answer. Not that it matters as application isn't hard to assess.

But apparently people who have coached him since he was a kid don't have a worthy opinion, so...

Unread 06-03-2016, 11:58 PM
andyroo

Quote:

He's great but he's not that great

Unread 06-03-2016, 11:59 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Only a few times is the answer. Not that it matters as application isn't hard to assess.

But apparently people who have coached him since he was a kid don't have a worthy opinion, so...
Of course it matters. I'm not being a top red about it, as I couldn't give a toss who goes to games. However, you get a far better idea who is putting in effort by actually seeing players live than you ever will on TV. And this notion that he has been lazy is frankly a bit ridiculous on the evidence I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
He's great but he's not that great
My phone has a mind of its own

Unread 07-03-2016, 12:04 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Of course it matters. I'm not being a top red about it, as I couldn't give a toss who goes to games. However, you get a far better idea who is putting in effort by actually seeing players live than you ever will on TV. And this notion that he has been lazy is frankly a bit ridiculous on the evidence I've seen.
Not for me. Never had my opinion of players change upon seeing them live, and I've watched some of the great players from practically the touchline. Much greater appreciation for little touches etc, but not a change on my overall impression of them. Yes you get a better sense of the overall tempo and pattern of a game live, but you can assess the basics such as application easily enough imo.

Unread 07-03-2016, 12:06 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Not for me. Never had my opinion of players change upon seeing them live, and I've watched some of the great players from practically the touchline. Much greater appreciation for little touches etc, but not a change on my overall impression of them. Yes you get a better sense of the overall tempo and pattern of a game live, but you can assess the basics such as application easily enough imo.
Completely disagree.

Unread 07-03-2016, 12:12 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Completely disagree.
So you're saying you've had players show up to OT for opposing sides and change your previous views on them? I never really had that. Vast majority of players are as good or bad as I sense them on TV tbh.

Tbf I would say I've played with guys and thought they are much better than they appear when you watch them from the sidelines, so similar principle maybe.

Unread 07-03-2016, 01:31 AM
Iron Fist

Quote:

Yep he generally looks sharp as a razor.

A few times I've seen him look frustrated and his head go down, but that's normally due to a refereeing decision, or the shiteness of his teammates.

Unread 07-03-2016, 10:32 AM
Baron

He's £#%&!ing brilliant. Will unequivocally become the best player in the world.

*mic drop*

Unread 07-03-2016, 10:57 AM
dragflick

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Closed Thread