United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:21 PM
ryanMUFC

Hard not to like him and want him to do well.

There’s people that will defend him blindly and use Mourinho as a comparison. Mourinho won trophies, the football we play now isn’t much better either.

There’s talk of him laying down foundations (partly true) but he’s spent about £250m net in 3 years and we’re miles off city. There’s talk of him getting rid of dead wood when we has Phil Jones still at the club and Eric Bailey on a new contract.

The owners aren’t blameless in the slightest but as much as we want him to succeed, it should probably be questioned as to whether he’s the right man.

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:24 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Only a Van Gaal type would do that. And when he did it it shocked everyone.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/28182663
It's probably one of the most bizzare and gutsy calls in football, easy to say from here, only a genius or a mad man would do it IRL...

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:31 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
Hard not to like him and want him to do well.

There’s people that will defend him blindly and use Mourinho as a comparison. Mourinho won trophies, the football we play now isn’t much better either.

There’s talk of him laying down foundations (partly true) but he’s spent about £250m net in 3 years and we’re miles off city. There’s talk of him getting rid of dead wood when we has Phil Jones still at the club and Eric Bailey on a new contract.

The owners aren’t blameless in the slightest but as much as we want him to succeed, it should probably be questioned as to whether he’s the right man.
The truth bombs are flying.

I think it turned last night.

People have had enough!

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:32 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

I'm not happy about the result in the slightest, but the reaction is borderline hysterical.
If the truth be told, then your absolutly right.

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:34 PM
saffers

Quote:

I'm not happy about the result in the slightest, but the reaction is borderline hysterical.
Whats hysterical?

That was one of the most disgraceful nights in this clubs recent history.

Everything about it was truly revolting.

7th placed la liga team stopped us winning our first trophy without Wayne Rooney at the club since 2004. Let that sink in.

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:37 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
It's probably one of the most bizzare and gutsy calls in football, easy to say from here, only a genius or a mad man would do it IRL...
I'm glad we got to experience the mad man. What a guy he was.

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:38 PM
saffers

Quote:
I think he is what we need right now bizarrely enough.

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:44 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
I dared to dream I'd see him live in our dug out one day, used to look across in lulls in the game and just imagine him there....

The day I seen it, my heart was warm in my chest...

It didn't work out, but what a guy, the aura, the boss...

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:47 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
I dared to dream I'd see him live in our dug out one day, used to look across in lulls in the game and just imagine him there....

The day I seen it, my heart was warm in my chest...

It didn't work out, but what a guy, the aura, the boss...
LvG Reds.

What a time to be alive. He fitted the club like a glove.

Pushed out by Woodworm whilst still holding the FA Cup. All for the Portuguese Virus.

Unread 27-05-2021, 08:49 PM
armchair

He would've been a good choice first in instead of moyes. He went a bit extreme but he's one of the all time greats.

Unread 27-05-2021, 11:07 PM
red in cumbria

That four game spell (or whatever it was) when it genuinely seemed like he had cracked it

Unread 28-05-2021, 01:27 AM
Weekend Hussler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Well, I for one don’t think we have the 5th best squad in the league. I’d have us about 3rd.
So with the third best squad in the league, Ole has finished 2nd, but isn't doing a good job?

Unread 28-05-2021, 02:37 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Oh nooo hurry up and give him a new deal before our rivals steal him from us.

Unread 28-05-2021, 04:35 AM
Stickman

Quote:
You reckon?

You'd take our starting midfield options over City, Liverpool, Chelsea & Leicester?

Same with the back line as well.

Maybe the third best front line, but when full strength that's made up by a free Ole brought into the club, and an academy player he brought into the squad. And even then most would probably want to drop Rashford for an overrated midfielder. And beyond that we have nothing.
squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Said all season our first XI scrapes top 4, our squad is 6th-ish.
I don't think depth wise were anything like 6th. Our bench has improved a lot over the last year.

Unread 28-05-2021, 04:50 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
squad
OK, so you'd take our midfield and defence over the teams I mentioned? Yay or nah?

Unread 28-05-2021, 05:07 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Hussler
So with the third best squad in the league, Ole has finished 2nd, but isn't doing a good job?

Id say he has done well on the whole. I also acknowledge he's steadied the ship and probably even done what he was brought in to do but I think he has hit his ceiling. Its time to go to the next level and to do that I think we are going to need a manager that can get more out of less. I don't go along with the owners are shit so there's no point in improving on the manager which many seem to have given in to (not just on here).

I don't think he's the man to get his players delivering on the big stage.

Quote:
OK, so you'd take our midfield and defence over the teams I mentioned? Yay or nah?
all but City as the definite then probably yes. If were talking about squad we are deeper than Liverpool. Look what they have outside of their first choice back 4 and even midfield. Some of their benches this season were absolutely shocking. We have Matic, Pogba, The Scottish Player, Fred and Van De Beek for 2 positions. That's not as bad as some of you like to paint partially due (in my view) to benevolence towards Ole.

Leicester - give me a break. We are undoubtedly stronger than them everywhere except maybe keeper.

Unread 28-05-2021, 06:30 AM
shenwen

Early in the season most people saying how improved the squad was, bringing in VDB, Telles and Cavani.

Now it's shit again

Unread 28-05-2021, 06:39 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Id say he has done well on the whole. I also acknowledge he's steadied the ship and probably even done what he was brought in to do but I think he has hit his ceiling. Its time to go to the next level and to do that I think we are going to need a manager that can get more out of less. I don't go along with the owners are shit so there's no point in improving on the manager which many seem to have given in to (not just on here).

I don't think he's the man to get his players delivering on the big stage.

all but City as the definite then probably yes. If were talking about squad we are deeper than Liverpool. Look what they have outside of their first choice back 4 and even midfield. Some of their benches this season were absolutely shocking. We have Matic, Pogba, The Scottish Player, Fred and Van De Beek for 2 positions. That's not as bad as some of you like to paint partially due (in my view) to benevolence towards Ole.

Leicester - give me a break. We are undoubtedly stronger than them everywhere except maybe keeper.
Completely disagree.

We barely have a starting 11. Our options off the bench are awful.

Leicesters midfield walks into ours, as does their back line. They lost their most experienced centre back to injury, and the vast majority of fans would gladly sign the backup that took his place. If players in our strongest 11 can be easily replaced by Leicester players, and Leicester backup players, then we nowhere near have the second strongest squad in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Early in the season most people saying how improved the squad was, bringing in VDB, Telles and Cavani.

Now it's shit again
Early season optimism against cold light of day.

Unread 28-05-2021, 07:00 AM
shenwen

I think a lot of the arguments around having a weak squad could also just as well be about bad squad/team management.

hence why a good squad at the start of the season is now not so good.

Unread 28-05-2021, 07:31 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
I think a lot of the arguments around having a weak squad could also just as well be about bad squad/team management.

hence why a good squad at the start of the season is now not so good.
There's been few that have been convinced by the likes of Fred, Lindelof, Pogba, Martial for years. That's four players that start straight off the bat. Shaw would be added to that list if he didn't have a storming season, and others would happily add De Gea, AWB, Rashford and The Scottish Player to that list too.

Who can we replace them with? Bailly, Williams, James, Matic and Mata? The latter two being too far gone last year. We expected a bit more from DVB, unfortunately it didn't happen, but won't stop me believing that next year will be his. That's not even including Lingard who only went on loan halfway through the season.

It's easy at the beginning of the season to hope that Fred isn't actually Fred at all, and Lindelof may stop being such a fanny, that Pogba pulls his head out of his arse, and that Martial stops being such a let down. I do it because I'm a giddy #@&%!, but they've proved again they're not good enough. That said, before next season if they're still at the club I'll probably do it all over again.

Even then, the majority still thought we'd finish lower than we did last season . It's hardly like we thought we had a squad to realistically compete.

Edit: although here was another poll where 3rd just edged the vote, not sure why there was two polls
Closed Thread