United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 03-12-2020, 01:22 PM
NedKelly

Tbh I think Ole should have subbed him. I get patty’s point that Fred was breaking up play well but he was just too aggressive at points and didn’t seem to be able to put the brakes on, and after the headbutt it was obvious he was going to have to do just that and toe the line.

That said, after the first 20-25 mins we started to come into our own; PSG looked tepid, we were asking all the right questions and PSG didn’t look to have any answers. There really is no accounting for Martial’s misses; the open goal in particular was awful and had we buried that it’d be a very different game. PSG were rattled at that point and had we put away one of those chances then I think it would’ve been them losing a man and it’d be all roses on here today.

The subs after we conceded the second were concerning. He set us up well and with just a bit of luck we’d be praising his management instead, but it’s true his overall management of the game yesterday was poor.

Unread 03-12-2020, 01:27 PM
puressence

fans blaming him taking off rashford who was injured its pathectic ..

ps sundays shit sub bagged two and set up the other .. but yet its a weakness

Unread 03-12-2020, 01:33 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Tbh I think Ole should have subbed him. I get patty’s point that Fred was breaking up play well but he was just too aggressive at points and didn’t seem to be able to put the brakes on, and after the headbutt it was obvious he was going to have to do just that and toe the line.

That said, after the first 20-25 mins we started to come into our own; PSG looked tepid, we were asking all the right questions and PSG didn’t look to have any answers. There really is no accounting for Martial’s misses; the open goal in particular was awful and had we buried that it’d be a very different game. PSG were rattled at that point and had we put away one of those chances then I think it would’ve been them losing a man and it’d be all roses on here today.

The subs after we conceded the second were concerning. He set us up well and with just a bit of luck we’d be praising his management instead, but it’s true his overall management of the game yesterday was poor.
Patty himself was calling for Fred to be subbed at half time ffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Bat shit mental game really. Goal or two in it at either end yet. As long as we get a point then I'm happy enough.

Get Fred off, and let The Scottish Player needle Neymar until he loses his mind. Wouldn't be surprised to see Parades put in a late challange on someone in the second half as well and get sent.

Unread 03-12-2020, 01:34 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Ffs

Unread 03-12-2020, 01:34 PM
utd99

Quote:
Oh shit.

Prosecution rests m’lud.

Unread 03-12-2020, 01:37 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Jesus

Unread 03-12-2020, 01:38 PM
utd99

Unread 03-12-2020, 01:39 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
£#%&!ing hell patty

Unread 03-12-2020, 01:40 PM
Patty_b

Objection!

A couple of minutes into the second half I realised why he wasn't and how important a role he was playing in the team.

We're allowed to change our minds remember.

Unread 03-12-2020, 01:42 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Jesus

Unread 03-12-2020, 01:47 PM
Patty_b

I'm surprised it took someone that long to find that post tbh, I'm pretty sure Cream quoted it at the time as well.

Unread 03-12-2020, 02:23 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
ps sundays shit sub bagged two and set up the other .. but yet its a weakness
tbf, we were the better team in the first half and greenwood would probably have scored a hattrick.

Unread 03-12-2020, 02:57 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
I think it’s a sign of just how far Ole has taken us that everyone is seeing their arse about losing at home to the officially the 2nd best side in Europe tbh.

Bit of perspective needed. He definitely did make some mistakes last night, but that doesn’t take away from the fact he also did some good things. Bad night at the office? Yep. Not a disaster though, providing we still get through.

Onwards and upwards.
Perspective & Proportion

Unread 03-12-2020, 03:08 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
And that’s the point. Not only is it amazing he didn’t get a straight red for the stupid head thing, but there were at least two more challenges before HT that could easily have gotten him a second yellow. No way his card wasn’t marked. No £#%&!ing way.

The fact we still had 11 was mana from heaven, and to argue that the second yellow wasn’t actually a yellow is completely missing the point - given the way Fred plays and the flow of the game, a child could have seen what was going (or highly likely) to happen. The game’s hard enough as it is, without your own manager making it harder. I believe two of their midfielders were also on yellows, right? And both got hooked, because it appeared Tuchel understood that those players weren’t likely to be their difference makers.

We may still get what we need from Leipzig, but anyone who doesn’t acknowledge that requiring 4 points from Istanbul home and away to advance vs needing a result away to last year’s semi-finalist isn’t the equivalent of wrestling defeat from the jaws of victory is being delusional. We didn’t need to win last night, and a savvy manager would have approached the game accordingly. I don’t want Mourinho managing this team, but I don’t want Kevin Keegan managing it either.

Europa. Thurs-Sunday. Let that sink in.
Totally agree, but just to be a pedantic #@&%! for a moment.... wouldn’t a draw in Instanbul still require us to get a point in Liepzig?

Same with Liepzig winning late yesterday. We’d still need a point and they’d still be through with a win.

If we balls this up, there’s several points we could say we blew it. Not winning in Turkey is an obvious one, but failing to get 10 points when we had 6 out of 6, or failing to get a point in either of our last two games is unforgivable.

As you say, we didn’t need to win last night. It was very poor game management and it’s a weakness of this team and of Ole, unfortunately.

Unread 03-12-2020, 03:19 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Totally agree, but just to be a pedantic #@&%! for a moment.... wouldn’t a draw in Instanbul still require us to get a point in Liepzig?

Same with Liepzig winning late yesterday. We’d still need a point and they’d still be through with a win.

If we balls this up, there’s several points we could say we blew it. Not winning in Turkey is an obvious one, but failing to get 10 points when we had 6 out of 6, or failing to get a point in either of our last two games is unforgivable.

As you say, we didn’t need to win last night. It was very poor game management and it’s a weakness of this team and of Ole, unfortunately.
...for a moment ?

Unread 03-12-2020, 03:23 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
...for a moment ?
I’m usually just a #@&%!.

Unread 03-12-2020, 03:30 PM
utd99

Quote:
No. Draw and a win would have given us the 10 points we needed before a ball was kicked vs Psg and RB.

Unread 03-12-2020, 03:35 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
No. Draw and a win would have given us the 10 points we needed before a ball was kicked vs Psg and RB.
With all else equal, if we drew there, we’d have 10 now and PSG and Liepzig would both have 9.

The only reason a point was enough last night was because it meant PSG couldn’t finish above us. It wasn’t that 10 was the magic number overall.

Unread 03-12-2020, 03:39 PM
utd99

Quote:
With all else equal, if we drew there, we’d have 10 now and PSG and Liepzig would both have 9.

The only reason a point was enough last night was because it meant PSG couldn’t finish above us. It wasn’t that 10 was the magic number overall.
If you think I’m getting into another ‘needed a win/draw’ conversation with you my friend you’ve got another think coming.

Unread 03-12-2020, 03:40 PM
Dr Stranger

Thumbs up

Quote:
If you think I’m getting into another ‘needed a win/draw’ conversation with you my friend you’ve got another think coming.

Fair enough.