United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive
Closed Thread

Unread 02-05-2016, 05:15 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
You won't silence me...

Unread 02-05-2016, 05:16 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
What is the thought process with those 2 though? His style of play needs the full backs to be capable attacking players, especially with that inverted winger style he likes to play, neither have the attacking game to play that role to a high level.
Rojo did quite well for Argentina at the World Cup from left-back. Simeone was raving about him. Good attitude and versatile; I don't think he's a bad player tbh though I prefer him at CB. Clearly if Shaw was fit we wouldn't be seeing him at LB as much.

We can't forget he's still the understudy in that role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Right, and isn't this the crux of the whole Van Gaal dilemma? He hasn't done a great job so far, so why not move on and try something else?

Across the years, I think van Gaal has been more successful with the youth promotion than with his recruiting, and right now we need some fully cooked, ready to roll game changers who can lead by example. Then you build your youth around them like Fergie did with the 92ers and his spine of champions. Right now our youngsters are our best players, that's neither right nor healthy going forward.

Question is, can van Gaal identify the right players and get them. On evidence so far, that's a big no.
I don't think he's done a great job on squad management. In other areas I think he's done well and I actually think he's extracting a decent amount from this highly limited group at the moment. Personnel still the major issue for me, so I'm reluctant to give up on such an intelligent and experienced football man when I reckon a few of the right signings can take us forward. Scouting (or lack of) is also a major aspect of recruitment. If van Gaal has been disadvantaged by that then that's disappointing.

Unread 02-05-2016, 05:24 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Sorry to labour the point - but he is still starting Fellaini in a must win game, and his go to man off the bench is Mata.

That's unforgivable. As was the lack of urgency for the majority of the game yesterday.

Why was Fosu-Mensah dropped after being one of our best players?

Delay nearly won us a penalty but only had 10 minutes to make a difference.

These are not intelligent decisions from LVG.

Unread 02-05-2016, 05:26 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
van gaal was entitled to expect that leadership would come from the players he inherited, and that they would inspire the string of new signings...

the issue has been that the players he inherited, the players earmarked to fill the shoes of the veterans he sent off for glue have not stepped up. they've either failed to inspire or they've failed to deliver - or both. add to that that they've spent half their time on the treatment table, and that's the issue.

as far as the players signed by van gaal, imo he has every right to have expected them to do better, but most have done at least ok... it's the players he inherited have let the manager down, just as they also let moyes down. funnily enough the 2 that have done most for both managers are rooney and de gea. one of them was minutes away from leaving last summer, and the other was on his way out until fergie announced his retirement (and has mostly been treading water ever since - even his biggest shaft ticklers wouldn't be able to look you in the eye and say he isn't on the wane).

when you look closer you see the next 2 in line are carrick, who's in his twilight and has never been a leader anyway, and smalling who basically can barely pass the ball and certainly can't organise a defence, then you see our leadership problem laid bare. now throw in that jones can barely string 45 minutes together without getting injured and that's our issue.

basically we are a shambles of physical conditioning, a team that can hardly last more than half an hour at any kind of tempo...
Very good post.

People talk about how LvG would be treated at Barca, Bayern or Real, but when you take over those clubs you inherit world class players at good ages and cores of leaders who have a certain level of performance regardless of the manager. The fact that few players we have sold caused uproar and most of the ones we have left could go without many batting an eyelid says a lot.

Also, if the board give a manager free reign to dismantle an ageing squad and focus on youth, they might have the balls to sight tight through a rocky period. Otherwise don't do it in the first place. The place has been turned upside down; this is the immediate result.

Unread 02-05-2016, 05:35 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I actually think he's extracting a decent amount from this highly limited group at the moment.
really?

I mean..... really?

good god.

Unread 02-05-2016, 05:43 PM
mr.sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99

Right, and isn't this the crux of the whole Van Gaal dilemma? He hasn't done a great job so far, so why not move on and try something else?

Across the years, I think van Gaal has been more successful with the youth promotion than with his recruiting, and right now we need some fully cooked, ready to roll game changers who can lead by example. Then you build your youth around them like Fergie did with the 92ers and his spine of champions. Right now our youngsters are our best players, that's neither right nor healthy going forward.

Question is, can van Gaal identify the right players and get them. On evidence so far, that's a big no.
might this also not be down to the inexperience of woody doing the buying?

Unread 02-05-2016, 05:47 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
really?

I mean..... really?

good god.
DDG, Valencia, Rojo, Smalling, Blind, Carrick, Rooney, Fellaini, Lingard, Martial, Rashford.

If someone told you 18 months ago that this would be our team at a vital stage of the season you'd have pissed yourself. How we have ended up with it is another issue, but £#%&! me that's a side that's doing well to be in the reasonable form we are.

Unread 02-05-2016, 05:47 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Very good post.

People talk about how LvG would be treated at Barca, Bayern or Real, but when you take over those clubs you inherit world class players at good ages and cores of leaders who have a certain level of performance regardless of the manager. The fact that few players we have sold caused uproar and most of the ones we have left could go without many batting an eyelid says a lot.

Also, if the board give a manager free reign to dismantle an ageing squad and focus on youth, they might have the balls to sight tight through a rocky period. Otherwise don't do it in the first place. The place has been turned upside down; this is the immediate result.
you have to factor in that van gaal's transfer dealings in that 1st window may have completely destabilised the dressing room as well though. and also his new play-style would have meant it was harder for the players who should have stepped up (the 5 i mentioned plus RVP) to do so when basically they didn't know how they fitted into the new regime either at first, and when they had no relationship at all with the new manager or most of his staff. on top of that giggs has had to learn the role of assistant and learn the new play style... it's a big pity van gaal couldn't have retained evra, and a big pity he couldn't find a way to work with rafael - that's 2 big personalities and characters lost from the dressing room...

Unread 02-05-2016, 05:53 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Take my name off your lips boy...
Cardie on or off today chief? Miss

Unread 02-05-2016, 06:35 PM
utd99

I get the impression that van Gaal's man management style is much better suited to impressionable youth players who don't usually come with the baggage of an established career and a sense of independance than it is with veterans who need a different approach. I think Mourinho could get more out of our existing players by instilling the belief and confidence in them that a more authoritarian regime seems to have done.

Mourinho seems to be the type of manager with the social intelligence to make each player in a 20 man squad believe that they are the most important, whereas someone like van Gaal, who has a hard time disguising his lack of trust in some players, ultimately drains their confidence.

Fergie was one of the rare breed who could do both.

Unread 02-05-2016, 06:54 PM
jem

Quote:
DDG, Valencia, Rojo, Smalling, Blind, Carrick, Rooney, Fellaini, Lingard, Martial, Rashford.

If someone told you 18 months ago that this would be our team at a vital stage of the season you'd have pissed yourself. How we have ended up with it is another issue, but £#%&! me that's a side that's doing well to be in the reasonable form we are.
if someone had told me that on sunday morning, I would have said van gaal can't be that stupid.
Closed Thread