United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-10-2008, 11:50 AM
magic_cantona

When Alex does go (not for a few years yet, mind), Mourinho is the only manager at present who seems to have the United mindset.The 'siege mentality' if you like.

Say what you like about Mourinho's style of football too, his situation at Chelsea was different.They were a club that hadn't won a title for god knows how long and he had to get instant results, any way he could, or he'd be out.And he did.It'd be different coming to a club which is world renowned for winning and playing the right way.A club with a magnifient history.

And look at his results at Inter.4-0 away to Roma last night.Not bad that.

Unread 20-10-2008, 11:51 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
You only have to listen to the players here who talked about Carlos Quieroz to understand how much of an impact he had at the club. He is one of the reason's players like Ronaldo, Anderson and Nani are at the club. I bet he had a say in the Brazilians too. According to Evra, he even used to discuss the tactics at half time.

The Real Madrid job bears no real resemblence. That club is a joke and they change managers like they are going out of fashion.

International football is very different to club football. He proved he is worthy of succeeding Sir Alex at United and that is all that matters. If you think he didn't have much of a say in the side's style of play, I suggest you have a word with yourself.
There's a major difference between being a good coach and a good manager.

Unread 20-10-2008, 11:52 AM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
There's a major difference between being a good coach and a good manager.
Maybe so. Just my opinion that if he had've stayed, he would've been ideal.

Unread 20-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
When Alex does go (not for a few years yet, mind), Mourinho is the only manager at present who seems to have the United mindset.The 'siege mentality' if you like.
I'd add Joe Kinnear to that list too.

Unread 20-10-2008, 11:53 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Yup, the seige mentality of Hitler in his bunker.

Unread 20-10-2008, 11:53 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:

Unread 20-10-2008, 11:54 AM
The Watcher

Quote:

I'm dreading the day Sir Alex finally steps down.

Unread 20-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
You only have to listen to the players here who talked about Carlos Quieroz to understand how much of an impact he had at the club. He is one of the reason's players like Ronaldo, Anderson and Nani are at the club. I bet he had a say in the Brazilians too. According to Evra, he even used to discuss the tactics at half time.

The Real Madrid job bears no real resemblence. That club is a joke and they change managers like they are going out of fashion.

International football is very different to club football. He proved he is worthy of succeeding Sir Alex at United and that is all that matters. If you think he didn't have much of a say in the side's style of play, I suggest you have a word with yourself.

No he hasn't. He's proven no such thing. None of us on here know where Fergie's job ends and the no.2's begins. If the players said Phelan was good, should we give him the job? Should we not bring Kidd back? We've not had a successful youth team since he left.

Also, playing Devil's advocate it's nice to see Rooney's return to form in the absence of Queiroz. MOTWYW.

Unread 20-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona

Say what you like about Mourinho's style of football too, his situation at Chelsea was different.They were a club that hadn't won a title for god knows how long and he had to get instant results, any way he could, or he'd be out.And he did.Iit'd be different coming to a club which is world renowned for winning and playing the right way.A club with a magnifient history.

And look at his results at Inter.4-0 away to Roma last night.Not bad that.
& Porto? Spending more than any rival club in his time there & then utter, utter @#%&!ishness with which they conducted themselves?

United are no angels, we have plenty of players who dive or mince about when kicked. But we don't tolerate that as a rule, everyone I know & see about me has a dig at Nani etc when they go down. I can't warm to a man who'd contrive to get the rest of them doing it.

Mourinho had unlimited transfer funds, yet all the best players at Chelsea are Ranieri buys, or Scolari's (or were already there). I know the players loved him, but the football was shite. I rate him as a results manager, he's not dissimilar to Cappello to be fair. Success, results, trophies. All great, but entertainment is missing.

Unread 20-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Zorg

Quote:
According to Evra, he even used to discuss the tactics at half time.

Unread 20-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Surfers do Charlie

One thing I never really bought into was that Roman wanted an attacking, attractive team, but that Mourinho wanted trophies first and style second.

My view was that Roman had invested his money and reputation in Chelsea and the most important thing in those first couple of years was conspicuous success. Roman wanted trophies in the cabinet to show that he wasn't a mug and Mourinho's job must have been to achieve that first and foremost and then make it pretty second.

The conflict wasn't over the style of play, it was over Roman wanting to chose players and whether Mourinho could make that step up to CL winners.

I think he's a decent manager but he acted like a proper @#%&! over the Reading Ambulance service when Cech got injured, and although he was maybe under more direct pressure from the boss than he would be at Utd, I'd like someone with a bit more class.

Unread 20-10-2008, 11:59 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfers do Charlie

he acted like a proper @#%&! over the Reading Ambulance service when Cech got injured, .

Absolute disgrace that.

Unread 20-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Ed Sullivan

Thumbs up

Right, so we're all agreed Jose is the next man for the job.

Only a matter of time.

Are people joking when they say 'he'll help turn around the ABU media'? He'll make it ten times worse. Will be nice having a manager who will actually willingly talk to the media as well instead of just see his arse and refuse. Might mean Jose's ego will take the limelight off Rooney, Ronaldo (if he's still here) etc.

All together now - 'J-O-S-E M-O-U-R-H-I-N-O'

Unread 20-10-2008, 12:01 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
& Porto? Spending more than any rival club in his time there & then utter, utter @#%&!ishness with which they conducted themselves?

United are no angels, we have plenty of players who dive or mince about when kicked. But we don't tolerate that as a rule, everyone I know & see about me has a dig at Nani etc when they go down. I can't warm to a man who'd contrive to get the rest of them doing it.

Mourinho had unlimited transfer funds, yet all the best players at Chelsea are Ranieri buys, or Scolari's (or were already there). I know the players loved him, but the football was shite. I rate him as a results manager, he's not dissimilar to Cappello to be fair. Success, results, trophies. All great, but entertainment is missing.

To be fair, the Portuguese game is terminally ill with cheating etc.

I just think Mourinho, coming IN to United with the players we'd have, would be the best choice (in today's managerial market).I couldn't see him thinking "Right, get rid of Nani and lets start playing without wingers.".

I might be wrong.

koppas

Quote:
One thing I never really bought into was that Roman wanted an attacking, attractive team, but that Mourinho wanted trophies first and style second.

My view was that Roman had invested his money and reputation in Chelsea and the most important thing in those first couple of years was conspicuous success. Roman wanted trophies in the cabinet to show that he wasn't a mug and Mourinho's job must have been to achieve that first and foremost and then make it pretty second.

The conflict wasn't over the style of play, it was over Roman wanting to chose players and whether Mourinho could make that step up to CL winners.

I think he's a decent manager but he acted like a proper @#%&! over the Reading Ambulance service when Cech got injured, and although he was maybe under more direct pressure from the boss than he would be at Utd, I'd like someone with a bit more class.
Be interesting to know why he signed Ben Haim, Pizarro and Sidwell? If he was told to capture players on a free.

Surfers do Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Sullivan
Are people joking when they say 'he'll help turn around the ABU media'? He'll make it ten times worse.
Good.

£#%&! 'em.

Makes it sweeter when we win stuff.

Unread 20-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Good.

£#%&! 'em.

Makes it sweeter when we win stuff.
I know, I know. I'll love it.

Can you imagine how £#%&!ing arrogant he'll be in charge of the biggest football club in the world?

Unread 20-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Surfers do Charlie

Quote:
Be interesting to know why he signed Ben Haim, Pizarro and Sidwell? If he was told to capture players on a free.
But to be fair, United have made some poor buys over the last 10 years and shelled out a fortune (no pun intended) for them.

Unread 20-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Sullivan
Are people joking when they say 'he'll help turn around the ABU media'? He'll make it ten times worse.
how? everyone in the media seemed to love him when he was at chelsea, he was always willing to give them good headlines. i cant see them turning on him because he gives them so much stuff to write about

Unread 20-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Billy Baroo

not bothered reading anything after first 5 posts

he is a @#%&!icle and i don't want him anywhere near the club
Closed Thread