United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-09-2008, 09:13 PM
redmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowers of Manchester

as hard is it to like, we do £#%&!ing miss Ronaldo
No brainer mate, i can't wait to see us returning to a proper 4-4-2 with ronaldo and nani wide and two from berba, tevez and rooney up top, and hargreaves and carrick centre midfield, utd will soon start taking teams apart.

Unread 13-09-2008, 09:18 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Ronaldo
Hargreaves
Anderson
Giggs

Tevez
Berbatov

That'd do for me next week, take Ronaldo off after 60 minutes.

What was wrong with Park today? Then again he would of ended up in Left Back knowing today, the only players playing in there postion were the back 5 and they looked like they had never played there before.

Unread 14-09-2008, 12:10 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Ronaldo
Hargreaves
Anderson
Giggs

Tevez
Berbatov

That'd do for me next week, take Ronaldo off after 60 minutes.

What was wrong with Park today? Then again he would of ended up in Left Back knowing today, the only players playing in there postion were the back 5 and they looked like they had never played there before.
Why does Rooney get dropped then?

He looked far sharper than Berbatov yesterday.
Ronaldo would walk back into our team over my dead body after his antics this summer.

Unread 14-09-2008, 12:32 PM
rebelcountyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone

Ronaldo would walk back into our team over my dead body after his antics this summer.
it's going to happen, make a will now.

Unread 14-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone

Rooney did look sharper yesterday, a couple of really nice turns out on the right wing. Strange tactics yesterday, Utd have had so much success with a roving front line, against Liverpool the wide players were stuck in position playing in a very orthodox style.

Berbatov has to earn his place in the team, it is Rooney and Tevez nest week for me, they have the experience of these big games.

Unread 14-09-2008, 12:38 PM
shadowplay

Easy to say in hindsight, but Surely Fletcher would have offered a considerable amount more than quite a few yesterday? At least he'd have gotten around the pitch and chased after it a bit

Unread 14-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay
Easy to say in hindsight, but Surely Fletcher would have offered a considerable amount more than quite a few yesterday? At least he'd have gotten around the pitch and chased after it a bit
The selection yesterday reminded me of the City game at OT last year, we put out a front 6 of Giggs/Scholes/Anderson/Ronaldo/Rooney/Tevez, 6 attacking players and they walked through us in midfield.

Fletcher has been a key player in these type of games in recent years. they are rarely open, flowing matches, concentration and taking advantage of mistakes has been the name of the game.

Unread 14-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
The selection yesterday reminded me of the City game at OT last year, we put out a front 6 of Giggs/Scholes/Anderson/Ronaldo/Rooney/Tevez, 6 attacking players and they walked through us in midfield.

Fletcher has been a key player in these type of games in recent years. they are rarely open, flowing matches, concentration and taking advantage of mistakes has been the name of the game.
Don't think so mate.

Unread 14-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero
Don't think so mate.
You are right, Nani was playing instead, taking away Rooney and his willingness to track back makes it an even stranger set up. Especially with both Carrick and Hargreaves on the bench.

Did Fergie get caught up in the occasion that day? Putting all our attacking players on and giving them no platform.

Unread 14-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
You are right, Nani was playing instead, taking away Rooney and his willingness to track back makes it an even stranger set up. Especially with both Carrick and Hargreaves on the bench.

Did Fergie get caught up in the occasion that day? Putting all our attacking players on and giving them no platform.
Scholes and Anderson in a two man midfield doesn't work unless it's against shite like Wigan. I really think Fergie should have realised that now. That team yesterday was so unbalanced, he wasn't helped by the fact Carrick and Hargreaves both weren't quite right, but the lack of genuine width was inexcuseable.

Unread 14-09-2008, 02:07 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero
Scholes and Anderson in a two man midfield doesn't work unless it's against shite like Wigan. I really think Fergie should have realised that now. That team yesterday was so unbalanced, he wasn't helped by the fact Carrick and Hargreaves both weren't quite right, but the lack of genuine width was inexcuseable.
The lack of natural width yesterday was ridiculous.
Rooney remained 'disciplined' to his role, but it's not his position. I bet Benitez couldn't believe his luck to see Rooney asked to play a role from where he couldn't really hurt Liverpool.

Even when Giggs & Nani were introduced, the shape of the side didn't change & the movement all over the pitch never improved.

It was such a great £#%&!ing start as well
The circumstances make it really hard to take. We had everything in our favour yesterday (albeit we were the away side) ....no Torres or Gerrard, an early goal, a great recent record against Liverpool etc..
Yet we tossed it away.
We lost the game because we couldn't cope with 'grafters' like Kuyt & Benayoun.
Shameful really.

Unread 14-09-2008, 04:04 PM
The Return of JC

I really wouldn't read too much into yesterday. We were just really, surprisingly, poor. I'd be more concerned if Liverpool really looked the part and beat us off our own back, but we gifted them the game.

I was disappointed simply because the work ethic wasn't high enough. That's unacceptable and you deserve what you get for that - nothing!

Liverpool wanted it more and thoroughly deserved their win. It happens.

Fergie seemed as mistified as us after the game too. After Vidic went, it really just seemed like one of those days. I took it strangely well. Liverpool were due one (Christ, we had to lose to them sooner or later) and they only managed it because we were so shit. Let them celebrate at full time, let them think they're going to win it. They've waited long enough and it'll only make it sweeter when they don't.

We're always likely to produce a performance like this, we always do. There's always some bafflingly below par performance that ends with a defence error and needless defeat. It's what we do. It's just a shame that it happened to that lot. But it's still very early and we very very rarely have two on the bounce. We will improve against Chelsea and if we can get a point out of that then we'll have come out of these opening fixtures, and a glut of injuries, realtively intact.
Closed Thread