United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-12-2007, 04:18 AM
Enjoying Insanity

I'll tell you someone else everyone has forgotten in amongst the famous names, someone less famous but just as brilliant

Jean-Pierre Papin

Unread 12-12-2007, 04:19 AM
Ether

Top thread this. Some genuinely insightful and interesting football talk from the usual suspects, with a bit of light-hearted wummery thrown in for good measure.

As you were lads.

Unread 12-12-2007, 04:23 AM
Enjoying Insanity

I'll take that as a complement (For the insight, not the WUMmery !!!)

Unread 12-12-2007, 05:51 AM
TreeFiddy

The WUMming in this thread is absolutely outstanding.

I never used to appreciate the brilliance of a subtle WUM. My senses have been awakened and I now get 'it'. Genius.

Read every sentence for what it is and you'll see how great it is. Class.

Unread 12-12-2007, 07:26 AM
Coracao

Ronaldo at Barcelona is the best since Maradona. Shame the injuries wrecked an unbelievable talent.

Unread 12-12-2007, 09:42 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester
I remember one of the home games against Juve when Zidane was crocked with a dodgy knee, he had it heavily strapped up, yet still played on and took the piss.

Best player I have ever seen live.

Off topic here, but on that game against Madrid in 2003, I ended up getting exec tickets, so sat opposite the United fans. I remember early on in the first half when the ball was coming towards our goal but to the right of the 18 yard box, Barthez came rushing out and put his hand out to stop the ball outside the area, no handball or anything was given. Anyone remember that, or am I just going mad?
that was the semi in 99 ..he controlled the game for 45 minutes with one leg

Unread 12-12-2007, 09:45 AM
puressence

last 20 years

zidane

scholes

di canio

Unread 12-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
The WUMming in this thread is absolutely outstanding.

I never used to appreciate the brilliance of a subtle WUM. My senses have been awakened and I now get 'it'. Genius.

Read every sentence for what it is and you'll see how great it is. Class.
Absolutely, £#%&!ing Deschamps

Unread 12-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Tincanstretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Sammer was unquestionably a top player, and really the last in the Beckenbauer mould. I don't think there's anyone around today with the individual qualities and tactical insight to play that role at anything like the level that Sammer did.

I would also say that his performance at Euro 96 was arguably better than anything Zidane managed at international tournaments, even including his best showing at Euro 2000 (where he disappeared in the final, as was his custom at the time). Very influential in Dortmund's European success as well.

However, I'm not a big fan of the Bundesliga, so I can't really say how his domestic career compared with Zidane's.

Overall I'm not sure if I'd put him ahead of Zidane, but he'd definitely be up there.
Sammer was phenomenal and easily one of the best players of the last 15 years.The way he carried a poor German team which was falling apart at the seams to win the Euro 96 tournament was special.Along with Zidane, for me, the best centre mid i've seen.Probably the most rounded.

Someone mentioned Schuster earlier in the thread. Great call. Didn't see much of him except for our games against Athletico, but i've read a couple of books about him. He was voted the greatest foreign player to have ever graced la liga in a poll done amongst sports journalists and fans years ago. Bearing in mind the players he was against (Di Stefano, Puskas, Cruyff, etc) it shows how good he was. Shame he was tapped in the head though (he'd lost the plot a bit, given up international football and was only half hearted about club football all by the age of 24) although that probably explains how he had the balls and nerve to move from Barcelona to Real Madrid and then to Athletico Madrid.

Unread 12-12-2007, 11:34 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincanstretty
Sammer was phenomenal and easily one of the best players of the last 15 years.The way he carried a poor German team which was falling apart at the seams to win the Euro 96 tournament was special.Along with Zidane, for me, the best centre mid i've seen.Probably the most rounded.

Someone mentioned Schuster earlier in the thread. Great call. Didn't see much of him except for our games against Athletico, but i've read a couple of books about him. He was voted the greatest foreign player to have ever graced la liga in a poll done amongst sports journalists and fans years ago. Bearing in mind the players he was against (Di Stefano, Puskas, Cruyff, etc) it shows how good he was. Shame he was tapped in the head though (he'd lost the plot a bit, given up international football and was only half hearted about club football all by the age of 24) although that probably explains how he had the balls and nerve to move from Barcelona to Real Madrid and then to Athletico Madrid.
That would have been Jan Molby.

Unread 12-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Gazw649

Paoulo Maldini.

Unread 12-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
[YOUTUBE]96DUcbtEvcU[/YOUTUBE]

After the Maradona period it is easily Zidane, ridiculous talent and ability to control a game.

Still remember the 3-1 loss in the Bernebeu in 03, Utd players could not get near him, everything he did was constructive, so light on his feet for a big man, Keane and Butt were chasing shadows all night.

Of course that Madrid team also had Figo, Raul, Ronaldo, Makalele all in their prime as well. Could still have beaten them if not for the midget in goal.
the game in the Bernebeu was on ESPN a couple of months ago, bit of a myth about Zidane that night. He played well but wasn't that outstanding, we gifted them the first two goals that night. Raul was their best attacking player that night.

Unread 12-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Ian Wright.

Unread 12-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek
Ian Wright.
Anelka

Unread 12-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Anelka
WUM!

Unread 12-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester
I remember one of the home games against Juve when Zidane was crocked with a dodgy knee, he had it heavily strapped up, yet still played on and took the piss.

Best player I have ever seen live.

Off topic here, but on that game against Madrid in 2003, I ended up getting exec tickets, so sat opposite the United fans. I remember early on in the first half when the ball was coming towards our goal but to the right of the 18 yard box, Barthez came rushing out and put his hand out to stop the ball outside the area, no handball or anything was given. Anyone remember that, or am I just going mad?
Yes, nothing was given and he was a very lucky boy.

Linesman prob wasnt paying attention as it wasnt as if he needed to use his hands.

Unread 12-12-2007, 02:09 PM
The Watcher

I don't know why the suggestion of Dennis Bergkamp was treated with such disdain. He's easily one of the greatest players of his generation, no question. That goal he scored against Argentina in the 98 World Cup (injury time winner) remains one of the most technically astonishing, yet aesthetically beautiful goals I've ever seen. Simply stunning, I’ll never tire of watching it. That one at St James Park wasn't bad either! One of the very few players from Wengers numerous arsenal sides that I could never hate. A joy to watch.

And a defender that seems to have been overlooked is Ronald Koeman. A majestic player in his prime. Also, when talking about players that could (and should) have done so much more - I give you Iván De la Peña. Hugely talented player.

Also, I agree that both Rivaldo and fat Ronaldo, at their respective peaks, were better then Zizou. That game at the Camp Nou – towards the end, Rivaldo was playing us on his own. Ronaldo would have been ranked alongside the likes of Pele and Maradona had it not been for that dreadful injury. It’s a credit to the man that he managed to come back and put in World Class performances at the WC 2002 and at Madrid the following season.

Unread 12-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Serenity Now

What about Fernando Redondo? Phenomenal player with an incredibly graceful style of play. Hugely influential for Madrid. Not as successful as Zidane at international level - though he did manage to win the Copa America in 1993 - but the man was so good at his job that he allowed Madrid to win the Champions League with Campo and Karanka in central defence! A very consistent performer too.

Unread 12-12-2007, 02:31 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
What about Fernando Redondo? Phenomenal player with an incredibly graceful style of play. Hugely influential for Madrid. Not as successful as Zidane at international level - though he did manage to win the Copa America in 1993 - but the man was so good at his job that he allowed Madrid to win the Champions League with Campo and Karanka in central defence! A very consistent performer too.
Pep Guardiola > Redondo

Unread 12-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Pep Guardiola > Redondo
Guardiola era un amo, pero Redondo era más redondo
Closed Thread