United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-06-2007, 03:51 AM
Serenity Now

Default No Anderson for Brazil

Line-up for the match against the Mexicans: Helton; Maicon, Juan, Naldo, Gilberto; Gilberto Silva, Mineiro, Elano, Diego; Robinho, Vágner Love.

Mineiro and Gilberto Silva will play as double pivot, offering coverage for the fullbacks who, in typical Brazilian fashion, will be given licence to get forward as often as possible and play a key role in the attacking build-up.

Diego will likely be given a free role to pull the strings with minimal defensive responsibilities. Elano will play a more constrained role on the right flank, staying wide and transitioning as quickly as possible in both attack-defence and defence-attack phases, to provide vertical and horizontal balance for the team.

Robinho will either play as a wide-man in a 4-2-3-1, although Dunga has expressed concerns about the coverage of the opponent's wide midfielders with this system, or he will be pushed on as a second striker in a split striker system to create something akin to a classic Brazilan 4-2-2-2.

Vagner Love has been given the number 9 shirt. He can become isolated if the gaps between the lines are too big (lack of vertical compactness) and/or if build-up is not of sufficient quality.

Unread 25-06-2007, 09:54 AM
The Watcher

I just realised Sergio Aguero isn't in the Argentina squad

Bit of shame. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire at Athletico, but shown a lot of promise. Would have been nice to see him play surrounded by top quality players.

Unread 25-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Serenity Now

Argentina have a lot of talent up front, so it would have been difficult for him to get any playing time. I don't think he's really shown enough for Atleti yet to warrant a call up either.

By the way, he's actually with Argentina at the U20 World Cup in Canada. Hopefully it'll be televised on Eurosport.

Unread 25-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Fish_man

Ive got 10 on Mexico. Rekon they have a strong side. Not many stars, but a strong side.

Unread 25-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Ether

Couple of Copa America bets now up in the gambling den gents.

Unread 26-06-2007, 07:02 AM
utd for ever

Why is not anderson starting???

Unread 26-06-2007, 07:29 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd for ever
Why is not anderson starting???
He's still young and has no expereince at this level, that he's at the Copa America rather than the U20 World Cup says a lot about how the Brazilian coaching staff rate him. Anyway, I'd be surprised if he doesn't get some decent playing time over the course of the tournament.

Unread 26-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Serenity Now

Pablito Aimar was extremely impressive in the latest training match, so much so that Coco Basile had to move him from the reserve team to the first choice eleven for the the second half. He came in for Cambiasso.

Apparently he's really pushing for a first team spot. The first choice eleven I posted earlier still looks likely, but we should at least expect to see Aimar on the pitch at some point in the match.

Messi and Román have also been playing some beautiful stuff together in training, with Messi dropping over to the right wing and the two linking up extremely well.

Unread 26-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Serenity Now

Uruguay should go with their customary 4-3-3 against Peru tonight:
-----------Carini-------------
Diogo-Lugano-Godín-Rodríguez
------Pérez-----García-------
----------Canobbio----------
Estoyanoff----------Sánchez
-----------Forlan-----------

No Recoba, he hasn't recovered sufficiently from a muscle strain in his left leg sustained on Sunday.

We should see a 3-5-2 from Peru:
-------------Butrón--------------
----Acasiete-Rodríguez-Villalta----
Galliquio------Bazalar-------Vilchez
------Farfán---------Garcia-------
-------Pizarro----Guerrero--------

Peru are defensively suspect, but going forward look quite dangerous.

Jefferson Farfán of PSV is a very exciting player. He arrived on the scene in style after his performances the South American U-20 championship in 2003. He's been in fantastic form domestically this season and was easily Peru's standout player in the last Copa America. To me, he always looks more comfortable as a striker, so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on in a more withdrawn role.

The strike partnership of Claudio Pizarro (Chelsea) and Paolo Guerro (Hamburg) should prove a handful for the Uruguayan defence as well. Pizarro will likely drop off the play a bit to carry the ball and help out the midfield when Peru lose possession.

Unread 26-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Sloppy

Are any of you guys entering the copa fantasy?

Unread 26-06-2007, 10:10 PM
S/Side.Red

Oh great, Lawrie Sanchez.

Unread 26-06-2007, 10:13 PM
johnfuego

I remember they had Bobby Gould on last time. Least Sanchez has a Spanish name.

Unread 26-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Jefferson Farfán of PSV is a very exciting player. He arrived on the scene in style after his performances the South American U-20 championship in 2003. He's been in fantastic form domestically this season and was easily Peru's standout player in the last Copa America. To me, he always looks more comfortable as a striker, so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on in a more withdrawn role.
I had him in my fantasy team but replaced him with Diego

Matias Fernandez is one to watch

Unread 26-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Oh great, Lawrie Sanchez.
A WTF moment when I heard his voice.

Unread 26-06-2007, 10:39 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodzy
I had him in my fantasy team but replaced him with Diego

Matias Fernandez is one to watch
Jorge Valdivia is the cheap option in my fantasy team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
A WTF moment when I heard his voice.
They had him on last time. His dad is from Ecuador, you see. So he's an expert.

Unread 26-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
They had him on last time. His dad is from Ecuador, you see. So he's an expert.
Did you hear him try to pronounce Estoyanoff?

And how shocked were they by Tim Vickery's pronunciation of Poyet? They sure gave up on that quickly!

Unread 26-06-2007, 10:53 PM
S/Side.Red

Yes, I think we have to accept that Sky will, as usual, do their best to butcher the coverage of this tournament.

Unread 26-06-2007, 11:03 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Apparently, the Brazilian players have already nicknamed him Medusa. I really hope it doesn't stick.

Quote:
Argentina have a lot of talent up front, so it would have been difficult for him to get any playing time. I don't think he's really shown enough for Atleti yet to warrant a call up either.

By the way, he's actually with Argentina at the U20 World Cup in Canada. Hopefully it'll be televised on Eurosport.
I think the fact that Atletico are going to be taking part in the Intertoto Cup would probably rule him out, anyway.

I'm already a big Aguero fan. Obviously he's still very young so it's been a bit stop-start for him at Atletico so far, but at times he's looked an exceptional talent. Not ready for the Albicelestes yet, though, I agree.

Unread 27-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
I think the fact that Atletico are going to be taking part in the Intertoto Cup would probably rule him out, anyway.

I'm already a big Aguero fan. Obviously he's still very young so it's been a bit stop-start for him at Atletico so far, but at times he's looked an exceptional talent. Not ready for the Albicelestes yet, though, I agree.
If Coco wanted him he would have gone.

He's got bags of talent, no doubt about that. Hopefully he'll be able to show what he's capable of more consistently next season.

And they definitely picked Lawrie Sanchez based on his name

Unread 27-06-2007, 12:09 AM
Grimson

I'm the only one whose going to be able to watch all the games.
Closed Thread