United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-08-2012, 11:27 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bral
Nani reminds me of Ronaldo when he first joined the club. Was a one trick pony for his first 3 seasons and then finally matured. So far Nani hasn't followed, there was a period of a few months I think during season 09/10 where he looked like he was truly fulfilling his potential but has gone backwards since. It's doubly frustrating be wise you can see the talent. He's Probably our most talented player but hasnt matured enough for me and is so inconsistent. If there's any consistency to Nani's game it's that he's consistently shite. He could be another Ronaldo-type player I reckon but he can't even play a corner past the first post. Disappointing and infuriating.
Don't think he could ever be that, Ronnie is an absolute physical beast on top of his talent.

Unread 22-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Bral

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Don't think he could ever be that, Ronnie is an absolute physical beast on top of his talent.
I know he can't Jabers & never will be but he has the talent to give defenders a run for their money and be a real threat to opposition, create multiple chances per game and be our danger man. Has so much talent for someone who is a liability.

Unread 22-08-2012, 11:40 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bral
I know he can't Jabers & never will be but he has the talent to give defenders a run for their money and be a real threat to opposition, create multiple chances per game and be our danger man. Has so much talent for someone who is a liability.
I agree he has the talent to be a superb player, just that a lot of Ronnie's incredible success is allied to the fact he is so physical and quick as well as his talent. Nai will never match that physicality.

Unread 22-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Bral

Quote:
I agree he has the talent to be a superb player, just that a lot of Ronnie's incredible success is allied to the fact he is so physical and quick as well as his talent. Nai will never match that physicality.
Agreed. Ronaldo is a physical specimen.

Unread 22-08-2012, 11:43 AM
dragflick

Our end at Goodison on Monday were going £#%&!ing bananas at Nanners. "You shit £#%&!ing @#%&!" was heard at least 13 times :shakehead:

Unread 22-08-2012, 11:43 AM
PaulParkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Our end at Goodison on Monday were going £#%&!ing bananas at Nanners. "You shit £#%&!ing @#%&!" was heard at least 13 times :shakehead:
Could have heard it at least twice that many in my house tbh

Unread 22-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Playing Scholes means great control of possession but a low tempo and little chance of a sustained pressing game. His partner has to be quite conservative in their forward movement as well and they generally defer to him in possession far too often.

Cleverley was efficient in his passing but that it the type of game where he(if he wants to make it long term at Utd)will have to show a lot more authority. He has to expand his game a lot more as well, has yet to show much of an attacking threat, either in scoring goals or playing penetrative passes and his defensive work needs to improve.
They do defer to him, but it's chicken and egg on the tempo - you play Scholes when you want that tempo, and you take away from Cleverley's game when you want Rooney dropping off the front, and you confuse Kagawa with both these things.

Rooney is not the first striker in recent times to appear to be slowing moves down. It's compounded in his case by his battle to control the football though, which makes it look worse than it is. I can't make any excuse for him consistently failing to release the right pass at the right moment though, unless he has become so over-coached that his brain's frazzled.

Nani needs to get far more greedy for me. He needs to produce his magic every game and to do that he needs to play off the cuff a lot more. At the moment he is still stuck between trying to force himself to fit into United's routine, and apologising whenever he tries to break free of it.

Unread 22-08-2012, 11:56 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
They do defer to him, but it's chicken and egg on the tempo - you play Scholes when you want that tempo, and you take away from Cleverley's game when you want Rooney dropping off the front, and you confuse Kagawa with both these things.

Rooney is not the first striker in recent times to appear to be slowing moves down. It's compounded in his case by his battle to control the football though, which makes it look worse than it is. I can't make any excuse for him consistently failing to release the right pass at the right moment though, unless he has become so over-coached that his brain's frazzled.

Nani needs to get far more greedy for me. He needs to produce his magic every game and to do that he needs to play off the cuff a lot more. At the moment he is still stuck between trying to force himself to fit into United's routine, and apologising whenever he tries to break free of it.
I really hope carlo responds to this.

Unread 22-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
I really hope carlo responds to this.
is he not a nani fan then?

sick of seeing Nani £#%&! up some cross that he doesn't want to play or even worse stop himself taking on a player on the edge of the box so that he can go back to United's routine of teeing up a cross for a support player. it's %@#$&!s, and it's about time United got some more spontaneity back into their football. Getting rid of Nani will be another move towards a team full of £#%&!ing robots.

Unread 22-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Alan

Agree that he's an infuriatingly inconsistent @#%&!, but a consistent run of games would help. Being tombolaed with kick run doesn't help him at all.

Unread 22-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
is he not a nani fan then?

sick of seeing Nani £#%&! up some cross that he doesn't want to play or even worse stop himself taking on a player on the edge of the box so that he can go back to United's routine of teeing up a cross for a support player. it's %@#$&!s, and it's about time United got some more spontaneity back into their football. Getting rid of Nani will be another move towards a team full of £#%&!ing robots.
Yes, asking Nani to stay wide and basically do the job that Valencia does is a waste of his talents. They are different players with different strengths and there should be enough imagination in the coaching and tactical set up to allow enough flexibility that the players can exploit their individual strengths.

With Nani that is his link up play with the rest of the attackers, ability to come off the wing and find dangerous positions, shoot off both feet and be unpredictable.

He had a poor game on Monday night but It would be very harsh if he is singled out and dropped because of it.

Just on a side note, reading a piece yesterday about ambidexterity in the PL. They looked at the most and least 2 footed players in the PL. It should come as no surprise that Valencia is the most one footed attacker in the league. Over 4 seasons he has had 112 shots with his right foot and only 2 with his left.

http://www.eplindex.com/16854/twofoo...-analysis.html

Unread 22-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Tumescent Throb

don't have any problem with players being one footed tbh. it is important that strikers learn to take a snapshot with their standing leg but other than that i'm not arsed - most players in most teams can kick it a bit with both feet and some can't. just the way it is.

what i do have a problem with is united passing. i can't be arsed to work out how to best write it in a sentence, but the passing is often far too safe, almost designed to allow the receiver to take two touches and hold off a challenge. it's been doing my head in more and more for a few seasons now. Kagawa could be the key to changing the way United play, changing the tempo we play at and the type of openings we make. Ferguson has got to give him control of the space he plays in. I imagine we'll end up with some bastard version of the same old shit though, and this time next season Rooney will have been phased out and we'll have RvP coming off the front, playing with his back to goal, taking 3 touches and spreading the play wide...

Don't get me wrong, United still produce some stunning football. But their set-up and organisation is cramping that style more and more is what I'm driving at. To the point where it's hard to know how much is Rooney being £#%&! and how much of it is him actually being as bored as everyone else is of the thing revolving around him being central to a pattern of play that has been pretty spectacularly sussed.

Unread 22-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
don't have any problem with players being one footed tbh. it is important that strikers learn to take a snapshot with their standing leg but other than that i'm not arsed - most players in most teams can kick it a bit with both feet and some can't. just the way it is.

what i do have a problem with is united passing. i can't be arsed to work out how to best write it in a sentence, but the passing is often far too safe, almost designed to allow the receiver to take two touches and hold off a challenge. it's been doing my head in more and more for a few seasons now. Kagawa could be the key to changing the way United play, changing the tempo we play at and the type of openings we make. Ferguson has got to give him control of the space he plays in. I imagine we'll end up with some bastard version of the same old shit though, and this time next season Rooney will have been phased out and we'll have RvP coming off the front, playing with his back to goal, taking 3 touches and spreading the play wide...

Don't get me wrong, United still produce some stunning football. But their set-up and organisation is cramping that style more and more is what I'm driving at. To the point where it's hard to know how much is Rooney being £#%&! and how much of it is him actually being as bored as everyone else is of the thing revolving around him being central to a pattern of play that has been pretty spectacularly sussed.
It is too often pedestrian and systematic. A lot of people complain about the coaching, which we really can know little about, but the signs point to over coaching, the natural flair that the players can show is suppressed to fit into the style you describe.

Those first few games of last season are often looked back on, and what stands out about them is that Cleverley and Anderson were not playing in a controlled manner, it was instinctive and joyful, playing the game with little fear or even a plan. Every great Utd side under Fergie has had a tempo to the play that can be irresistible but that has been missing for 2/3 years bar the odd sporadic outburst.

Unread 22-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Zorg

Quote:

Can't be agreeing with you like this, but that's spot on imo.

Unread 22-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

who robbed throb's log in?

Unread 22-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Can't be agreeing with you like this, but that's spot on imo.
what a crock of shit

hope this helps

Unread 22-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
who robbed throb's log in?
who didn't rob yours

Unread 22-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Zorg

Quote:
what a crock of shit

hope this helps

Unread 22-08-2012, 01:20 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Playing Scholes means great control of possession but a low tempo and little chance of a sustained pressing game. His partner has to be quite conservative in their forward movement as well and they generally defer to him in possession far too often.

Cleverley was efficient in his passing but that it the type of game where he(if he wants to make it long term at Utd)will have to show a lot more authority. He has to expand his game a lot more as well, has yet to show much of an attacking threat, either in scoring goals or playing penetrative passes and his defensive work needs to improve.
Utd were quite predictable as well. Seemed like Scholes HAD to be given the ball no matter how well placed somebody else was.

Unread 22-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Redordead

If I could demand two things from OT and for some reason Froggie had to do it, they would be:

1) Makes Scholes the best Sub in Europe. No starts.

2) Insist Nanners takes on a few defenders into the box every game.
Closed Thread