MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Yessir.
Life moves fast.

We're all getting old ffs.

Unread 13-06-2021, 10:52 AM
NedKelly

Seeing loads of England flags today. Feels a bit EDL tbh. Half expecting to turn the corner and see Tommy Robinson punching an Indian kid.

Unread 13-06-2021, 07:01 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Seeing loads of England flags today. Feels a bit EDL tbh. Half expecting to turn the corner and see Tommy Robinson punching an Indian kid.
The irony is that England's flag really became a "thing" at Euro 96, and was then seen as a positive development precisely because the Union Jack was widely seen as "tainted" by the far right.

Unread 13-06-2021, 07:03 PM
Bunker Buster

It's been brilliant....

Unread 13-06-2021, 07:04 PM
armchair

I feel like I was built for 3 games a day if not more.

Unread 13-06-2021, 07:06 PM
NedKelly

Yeah the buzz factor is back and absolutely raging for me. Holland next

Unread 13-06-2021, 07:07 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I feel like I was built for 3 games a day if not more.

Consumes me, but I love it.....

I know I'll break the cycle (looking like Sun Monday next week)

Can't watch any other premier team really, but international tournaments....

Unread 13-06-2021, 07:14 PM
Drexl

This week should be good

Philips v The Scottish Player friday

Unread 13-06-2021, 07:17 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
This week should be good

Philips v The Scottish Player friday
Wait till Portugal enter the fray

Unread 13-06-2021, 07:20 PM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Wait till Portugal enter the fray
I'd actually forgot about those lads

This tourney is going to be Bruno's bitch

Unread 14-06-2021, 12:36 AM
Neo

Thumbs down

Was a solid 4/5 pre-tournament, as I love the Euros and the World Cup, but quickly down to a 1/5 now.

Whichever #@&%! at UEFA that came up with the idea to host the competition across about 20 £#%&!ing countries needs to be shot.

It feels like a tournament with no identity as there’s no single host, and feels like a set of qualifiers, ffs. Absolute shite. This is also unquestionably the worst tournament in my memory for co-commentators; already had the misfortune of listening to Jermaine Jenas, Robbie Savage and John Hartson, who have been insultingly bad.

Unread 14-06-2021, 12:38 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Was a solid 4/5 pre-tournament, as I love the Euros and the World Cup, but quickly down to a 1/5 now.

Whichever #@&%! at UEFA that came up with the idea to host the competition across about 20 £#%&!ing countries needs to be shot.

It feels like a tournament with no identity as there’s no single host, and feels like a set of qualifiers, ffs. Absolute shite. This is also unquestionably the worst tournament in my memory for co-commentators; already had the misfortune of listening to Jermaine Jenas, Robbie Savage and John Hartson, who have been insultingly bad.
I absolutely love the way it's spread out and think it should always be that way. They should work on teams not having home advantage though imo.

Unread 14-06-2021, 12:38 AM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
This is also unquestionably the worst tournament in my memory for co-commentators; already had the misfortune of listening to Jermaine Jenas, Robbie Savage and John Hartson, who have been insultingly bad.
Not a fan of tedious repetition?

Unread 14-06-2021, 02:49 AM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I absolutely love the way it's spread out and think it should always be that way. They should work on teams not having home advantage though imo.
How come? I'm struggling to find one redeeming feature of it.

For me, the host nation is intrinsically linked with the identity of a major competition, and adds to the charm - Italia '90, USA '94, Euro '96, France '98, Russia 2018 etc. Great tournaments.

I like how there's often a chance to learn more about a particular host city, and there's always a proper buzz whenever the hosts play. This current format seems a complete mess. Apparently it's only a one-off as Platini did it to mark the 60th anniversary of the Euros, but with the money involved I wouldn't be surprised if it catches on. Hope not.

Unread 14-06-2021, 07:16 AM
MUFC One Love

Scotland at 2pm today ffs.

Can't wait to watch Portugal and their whole group tbh.

Unread 14-06-2021, 07:33 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Scotland at 2pm today ffs.

Can't wait to watch Portugal and their whole group tbh.
It doesn't stop......

Unread 14-06-2021, 07:49 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
How come? I'm struggling to find one redeeming feature of it.

For me, the host nation is intrinsically linked with the identity of a major competition, and adds to the charm - Italia '90, USA '94, Euro '96, France '98, Russia 2018 etc. Great tournaments.

I like how there's often a chance to learn more about a particular host city, and there's always a proper buzz whenever the hosts play. This current format seems a complete mess. Apparently it's only a one-off as Platini did it to mark the 60th anniversary of the Euros, but with the money involved I wouldn't be surprised if it catches on. Hope not.
european union > the nation state.

Unread 14-06-2021, 09:18 AM
waynes ear's

excitement building after yesterdays incredible two games ignoring the shite England served up

Unread 14-06-2021, 09:30 AM
Drexl

Looking forward to seeing the Scotch today. Wouldn't mind a bad tempered affair tbh

Unread 14-06-2021, 09:32 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
Looking forward to seeing the Scotch today. Wouldn't mind a bad tempered affair tbh
Yep. Then the Poles and the Slovaks to weigh each other in for 90 mins before we wind down with a more timid affair in Spain vs Sweden. A perfect start to the week.
Closed Thread