Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-05-2019, 08:27 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
The stalker is back?

Or just a shit wum?
Whoever or whatever he is, he's popular.

Unread 06-05-2019, 10:38 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
I have been calling this squad shite under every manager post fergie. Certainly not the only one either.
Yep.

Unread 06-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
He's got at least another season, if not 2, so I hope Ole takes an axe to the squad this summer while he's fire proof.

He should clear out any aging and/or under-performing senior who has even a half-decent youth player waiting in the wings.

For the deadwood who don't have an internal replacement he should buy young and enthusiastic talent even if it isn't quite top drawer yet.

We will be no worse for this next season.
He's got until October for me. If we don't move forward under next season he has to go.

The director of football also needs to be sorted out ASAP with an authentic candidate

Unread 06-05-2019, 11:13 AM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
He's got until October for me. If we don't move forward under next season he has to go.

The director of football also needs to be sorted out ASAP with an authentic candidate
Asked this before but who do you bring in after Ole? Pep and Klopp aren't coming, and as I detailed in another post Poch wouldn't work out here because the dressing room run things and he needs every player to subscribe to his vision to achieve what he has at Spurs.

Unread 06-05-2019, 11:19 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed

He will be gone by Christmas.

Unread 06-05-2019, 11:27 AM
AK14

I just don’t see the point in giving him a couple of months into his first full season.

Unread 06-05-2019, 11:39 AM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
I just don’t see the point in giving him a couple of months into his first full season.
This. We are in the shit now, it isn't like sacking him suddenly changes that. Let's see if changes are made in the summer, if players are sold and replaced, and if a DoF is brought in. Give Ole a full year from then and if it doesn't work out we can move him on. For the time being, patience is necessary.

Unread 06-05-2019, 11:44 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by messhead
This. We are in the shit now, it isn't like sacking him suddenly changes that. Let's see if changes are made in the summer, if players are sold and replaced, and if a DoF is brought in. Give Ole a full year from then and if it doesn't work out we can move him on. For the time being, patience is necessary.
Patience is necessary...for 12 months

Unread 06-05-2019, 03:50 PM
messhead

Quote:
Patience is necessary...for 12 months
What you'd get rid of a manager two months into his first full season in charge? That's just reactionary and solves absolutely nothing, instead setting us up for even more failure and misery. Instead of repeating the same mistakes of the past over and over again, we need to actually make a change to the structure of the club from the top down. When we've done that, then we can start looking at finding a replacement for Ole if he proves to be wrong for the job. Even with that all said, what manager out there would you get in?

Unread 06-05-2019, 03:57 PM
ericcantona

Quote:
I have been calling this squad shite under every manager post fergie. Certainly not the only one either.
Tbf lots were saying it was shit towards the end of fergies time too .

Unread 06-05-2019, 04:25 PM
Coracao

Quote:
What you'd get rid of a manager two months into his first full season in charge? That's just reactionary and solves absolutely nothing, instead setting us up for even more failure and misery. Instead of repeating the same mistakes of the past over and over again, we need to actually make a change to the structure of the club from the top down. When we've done that, then we can start looking at finding a replacement for Ole if he proves to be wrong for the job. Even with that all said, what manager out there would you get in?
I was laughing at you telling people to be patient and then potentially binning him this time next year.

Unread 06-05-2019, 04:29 PM
messhead

Quote:
I was laughing at you telling people to be patient and then potentially binning him this time next year.
Ah I see, my apologies. My thinking was more along the lines of trying to provide some kind of compromise to the impatient fans but also its a thin line the club is treading now. We are flirting with a total decline which we might not actually see the end of unless things change and fast. But yeah my point was he deserves AT LEAST a full season in charge before any decision is made.

Unread 06-05-2019, 04:30 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcantona
Tbf lots were saying it was shit towards the end of fergies time too .
It's been shit since the summer of '09 when we lost Tevez and Ronaldo; one being a genuinely world-class South American forward, and the other being genuinely one of the greatest footballers that has ever kicked a ball.

Of course, they were then replaced by Michael Owen, Antonio Valencia, Gabriel Obertan and Mame Biram Diouf, which was a disgrace. However, over the next couple of years we went into a sharper decline, with Bebe, Smalling, Chicharito and Lindegaard coming in during the summer of 2010, and Jones and Young in the summer of 2011, alongside De Gea.

It's staggering to think that out of those 11 signings, only one has ended up being a great one. Out of the remaining 10 there are 4 that are still here, and to think that Valencia, Smalling, Jones and Young are still a major part of the first-team squad is sickening.

In Fergie's final summer of 2012, he bought in Van Persie, which was a signing that basically won us the league the following season, but he also bought in Kagawa, Zaha, Powell and Buttner; all four of these players had disastrous careers at United.

So in total, between us losing the Champion's League Final to Barcelona in 2009, which IMO has always been the starting point of the United decline over the last decade, and to the point when Fergie retired in 2013, we signed 16 first-team players, of which only 2 you could say were real success stories (De Gea and Van Persie), and only 1 that any sensible fan would want in the squad next season!

There is so much wrong with this club, and it's all rooted in the Glazer ownership. From the 'value' years of 2009-2013 when Fergie was not allowed to spend properly and build an adequate squad to pass over to his successor, through to the totally negligent spending sprees under Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho, where the club had no plan or structure. We're coming up to 15 years of Glazer rule now, and the mountains of evidence are clearly there that they have continuously damaged the club, year-on-year, with the one exception being 2007-2009, where the club were fortunatley able to rely on the combined genius of Ferguson and Ronaldo, who would have done the same with or without the Glazer hand in the way. It's clear to me that things will only get worse from here, until this family are removed.

Unread 06-05-2019, 04:52 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Asked this before but who do you bring in after Ole? Pep and Klopp aren't coming, and as I detailed in another post Poch wouldn't work out here because the dressing room run things and he needs every player to subscribe to his vision to achieve what he has at Spurs.
It literally wouldn’t matter.

Unread 06-05-2019, 04:55 PM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
It literally wouldn’t matter.
Agree completely, just feels like some people are putting this all on Ole.

Unread 06-05-2019, 04:57 PM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
It's been shit since the summer of '09 when we lost Tevez and Ronaldo; one being a genuinely world-class South American forward, and the other being genuinely one of the greatest footballers that has ever kicked a ball.

Of course, they were then replaced by Michael Owen, Antonio Valencia, Gabriel Obertan and Mame Biram Diouf, which was a disgrace. However, over the next couple of years we went into a sharper decline, with Bebe, Smalling, Chicharito and Lindegaard coming in during the summer of 2010, and Jones and Young in the summer of 2011, alongside De Gea.

It's staggering to think that out of those 11 signings, only one has ended up being a great one. Out of the remaining 10 there are 4 that are still here, and to think that Valencia, Smalling, Jones and Young are still a major part of the first-team squad is sickening.

In Fergie's final summer of 2012, he bought in Van Persie, which was a signing that basically won us the league the following season, but he also bought in Kagawa, Zaha, Powell and Buttner; all four of these players had disastrous careers at United.

So in total, between us losing the Champion's League Final to Barcelona in 2009, which IMO has always been the starting point of the United decline over the last decade, and to the point when Fergie retired in 2013, we signed 16 first-team players, of which only 2 you could say were real success stories (De Gea and Van Persie), and only 1 that any sensible fan would want in the squad next season!

There is so much wrong with this club, and it's all rooted in the Glazer ownership. From the 'value' years of 2009-2013 when Fergie was not allowed to spend properly and build an adequate squad to pass over to his successor, through to the totally negligent spending sprees under Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho, where the club had no plan or structure. We're coming up to 15 years of Glazer rule now, and the mountains of evidence are clearly there that they have continuously damaged the club, year-on-year, with the one exception being 2007-2009, where the club were fortunatley able to rely on the combined genius of Ferguson and Ronaldo, who would have done the same with or without the Glazer hand in the way. It's clear to me that things will only get worse from here, until this family are removed.
Postage. unfortunately, that is £#%&!ing spot on

Unread 06-05-2019, 05:02 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

All true...

Unread 06-05-2019, 05:04 PM
ericcantona

Depressingly true

I’d argue we haven’t played the style of football typically associated with united since the 2006/07 season either. 2007/08 was obviously an immense season but the football was not as free and attacking minded as in the past. And like you say, it’s been a slow steady decline for a long time with no signs of it getting better.

Unread 06-05-2019, 05:15 PM
red in cumbria

I think that 2007/08 was maybe our most "complete" footballing season ever - we still stomped on a fair few teams.

The decline since then has been pretty vertiginous.

Unread 06-05-2019, 05:22 PM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
I think that 2007/08 was maybe our most "complete" footballing season ever - we still stomped on a fair few teams.

The decline since then has been pretty vertiginous.
For sure. We became an absolute machine of a team that year. Spanked some teams as you say but when it came down to grinding a result out we had such steel about us and its those kind of games that win you titles.
Closed Thread