United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-02-2007, 03:32 PM
jem

Default was it carlos, was it fergie?

who cares? they're both @#%&!s. they're jointly liable for the shit we've had to watch for a few years now. if they've finally got their act together this season, it's only been when (coincidence of coincindences) they've done what every £#%&!er could see needed doing.

when we try to win 1-0, as carlos would love, we £#%&! up. every time. when fergie tries to be tactically smart, we £#%&! up. every time. and you want to laud them for using a bit of common sense (usually out of deperation) and letting united play their natural game?

£#%&! off, all of you.

Unread 05-02-2007, 04:48 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
There was a period - that coincided with one of our worst spells results and performance wise - where Ferguson was never on the touchline and the only person we saw was Carlos. At this point Ferguson was making noises about Carlos being his successor.

We never saw Fergie on the touchline,barking orders and letting loose purple faced salvos at the ref and assistant ref. There is evidence to suggest that he delegated more and more tasks to Carlos and has recently (in the last year and a half) started taking more control of these things.
I'm not sure about that. One of the worst periods over the last couple of years was towards the end of the 2004-05 season when we lost 2-0 at Norwich. It was actually the game many people think Carlos picked the team for.

Fergie was very much on the touchline because I remember him launching a furious tirade at Kleberson for misplacing a pass. He then subbed him off, even though he had been one of our better players. I remember thinking that he'd lost it, taking the easy route and blaming Kleberson when the team had put in a shocking performance.

As a manager, I think it's hard to assess Carlos' career. He obviously did an excellent job with the Portuguese youth sides, but he was given a very bright set of young players to work with.

With South Africa he was far from a failure. He got them to the 2002 World Cup and quit before the tournament because he had a row with their FA.

The Madrid spell is void because he was given a hopeless task.

He managed in Japan and the States too, but I don't know how well he did there.

Managing in four different continents has undoubtedly given him some great experience, mind.

Unread 05-02-2007, 04:58 PM
jem

Default I bet he understands

"£#%&! off, you @#%&!" in at least four languages.

Unread 05-02-2007, 05:14 PM
S/Side.Red

Yeah, well I guess you could argue that it's a long list of clubs/nations and a wide variety of people that didn't try too hard to keep him.

On further research, he actually had a pretty good season with Sporting. He took over with them having not finished inside the top two in ten years during a Porto/Benfica dominance and they hadn't won a trophy in fifteen years. He finished second (22/9/3) and won the Portuguese Cup.

Unread 05-02-2007, 05:19 PM
violater

the main man...

Unread 05-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Lazarus

Very elegant. Aged well.

S/Side - have you read Giggs' book? very pedestrian but revealing about just how much control Carlos had at that time. I'm not anti-Carlos at all - I think he's an excellent coach;I also think at one point the line between assistant and manager became blurred and has now been re-established.

I do think he was a convient scapegoat too.

Unread 15-09-2008, 11:11 AM
marlo stansfield

Default only bttt the thread because i was looking for this picture......love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by violater
the main man...
interesting pic.
we our messiah back.
bring back cq.

Unread 15-09-2008, 11:59 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
interesting pic.
we our messiah back.
bring back cq.
we our messiah back.

Unread 15-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Oh my gosh Marlo you were right all along.
Closed Thread