United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-09-2008, 02:39 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Have United signed many players who had loads of medals when they signed?
veron, blanc and vds are the only ones i can think of tbh

Unread 02-09-2008, 02:40 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
veron, blanc and vds are the only ones i can think of tbh
Interesting, 2 of those weren't exactly huge successes.

Unread 02-09-2008, 02:42 PM
SilverSurfer

Barthez had quite a few (World Cup, European Championship) but that only reinforces Bedders's point really.

Unread 02-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Rossi the Red

Ruud won the dutch league didn't he?

Unread 02-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Turin

Quote:
Have United signed many players who had loads of medals when they signed?
The Apache had amassed a good haul by the time he came to us.

Copas Libertadores
Olympic Gold
Intercontinental Cup
Brazilian Championship
Argentinian Championship

Unread 02-09-2008, 02:43 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Interesting, 2 of those weren't exactly huge successes.
true. kleberson was a world cup winner as well

to be fair, blanc was at the end of his career and was clearly a stop-gap. vds has been a huge success. veron was, well, not what we hoped for for whatever reason.

Unread 02-09-2008, 02:44 PM
CockOfTheNorth

The cougar had an impressive medal haul.

Unread 02-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Zorg

Viv Anderson was a European Cup winner.

I win.

Unread 02-09-2008, 02:46 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Barthez had quite a few (World Cup, European Championship) but that only reinforces Bedders's point really.
I'm not really trying to make a point, just not sure what difference it makes what a player has won when he arrives at United? Berbatov scored 23 goals and got 15+ assists in both his seasons at Spurs, if he matches or as I expect improves on that return for us, I think he'll have a medakl or two come seasons end, which is what matters.

Unread 02-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Don Stuarte

Quote:
I'm not really trying to make a point, just not sure what difference it makes what a player has won when he arrives at United? Berbatov scored 23 goals and got 15+ assists in both his seasons at Spurs, if he matches or as I expect improves on that return for us, I think he'll have a medakl or two come seasons end, which is what matters.
My point was that £30m is the price tag of a red hot prospect in their teens, a player in their early twenties with potential and a few big games under their belt or world star.

If the player is 27 and not a world star - at the very least you would expect a "low profile" player (the likes of Makelele, Scholes, Nedved) who has been doing the business at the top for a minimum of 3 years.

For the clubs he has been at and the games he has been involved in and the trophies he has won - the price is off putting

Unread 02-09-2008, 02:56 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stuarte
My point was that £30m is e price tag of a red hot prospect in their teens, a player in their early twenties with potential with a few big games under their belt or world star.

If the player is 27 and not a world star - at the very least you would expect a "low profile" player (the likes of Makelele, Scholes, Nedved) who has been doing the business at the top for a minimum of 3 years.

For the clubs he has been at and the games he has been involved in and the trophies he has won - the price is off putting
Do you not agree that what actually matters is what he does at United, rather than what's happened previously? In the end it is a footballer we've signed, not a pricetag.

Unread 02-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Rossi the Red

At the end of the day, what difference does united spending £30m rather than £20m on a player make to our lives? Not much.

Nft.

Unread 02-09-2008, 02:57 PM
SilverSurfer

Quote:
Sorry, thought you were saying that United typically haven't gone for that kind of player. Does it make a difference? In theory no, although it is notable that those that had a big medal collection have rarely been big successes.

Personally I like signing quality players with a point to prove and eager to win stuff. Like you I imagine.

antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Sorry, thought you were saying that United typically haven't gone for that kind of player. Does it make a difference? In theory no, although it is notable that those that had a big medal collection have rarely been big successes.

Personally I like signing quality players with a point to prove and eager to win stuff. Like you I imagine.
Yup.

Elsey

how old was Zidane when he moved to Madrid?

Unread 02-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
My point was that £30m is the price tag of a red hot prospect in their teens, a player in their early twenties with potential and a few big games under their belt or world star.

eh?

Unread 02-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Don Stuarte

Quote:
Do you not agree that what actually matters is what he does at United, rather than what's happened previously? In the end it is a footballer we've signed, not a pricetag.
Agreed but my point is that Im not excited by it.

A £30m signing should get the blood flowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
eh?

Nedved - NOT a world star FACT

Unread 02-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Agreed but my point is that Im not excited by it.

A £30m signing should get the blood flowing

Nedved - NOT a world star FACT
was he not European player of the year?

of course he was a world star, as is scholes

Unread 02-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
Bloody Hell that's shocking. I could complain that my PC keeps freezing so my second attempt to post was done hastily.. but that wouldn't wash... Oh no.. :shakehead:

No, the only thing to put me back in a good mood is if Sparky could reassure me that he really means it when he says he'll give Berbatov his absolute fullest backing. Really means it !

Anything less simply won't do.
you're making a fool of yourself now.

just stop it, otherwise i may be forced to mention harry potter audiobooks

Unread 02-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Don Stuarte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
was he not European player of the year?

of course he was a world star, as is scholes

I disagree but as it seems I have no right to an opinion.

You are correct
Closed Thread