United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-02-2009, 11:50 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Which he wasn't on Saturday, he was £#%&!ing awful. That was down to the PiG. I hope.
I think so to some extent at least. as you say though rio and the entire defence were a bit of a shambles against an enthusiastic but very limited Blackburn.

Unread 23-02-2009, 11:50 AM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

At least Heinze isn't playing centre back this time eh

Unread 23-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Baron

£#%&!s sake, full on deja-vu going back to Milan with a patched up defense.

However, it's not quite the nightmare of playing AC last time, they had a striker with exceptional movement in Crespo, and an attacking midfielder / trequartista in Kaka who would run with the ball to exploit the gaps the makeshift defense inevitiably left. This time they just, realistically from what I've seen of Inter, need to handle an aerial threat. That's a lot more straight forwards & if the central midfield can track Stankovic & not let Muntari get time to ping off long shots we shouldn't have quite the same mauling as before.

Personally I'd stab Evans with every painkiller / anti-inflammatory going to get him out there. Vidic will be back after this so Evans can have a few weeks to get over it then.

------------------VDS

O'Shea------Rio-------Evans------Evra

Park-------Carrick------Fletcher---Ronnie

----------Rooney-----Berbs-----------

Park to play on the right for the first hour, not much gonna happen down that side as far as I'm concerned, the other side... Ronnie in front of Evra, I really hope Maicon thinks he's the %@#$&!s & bombs on to leave space for these two & Carrick to exploit. Will be the deciding factor - but knowing Mourinho he'll restrict him going past the halfway line & will want a nil-nil the boring £#%&!ing @#%&!.

Unread 23-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Jez Quigley

Default Right

I have been seriously thinking about this - and this is the way ahead (assuming injuries galore still).

VDS

Rafael
Rio
Evra
Giggs

Park
Fletchergeddon
Carrick
Ronaldo

Rooney
Das Berb von Atovstein.

As well we need a pro-wrestling attack on Ibramivivivivvovic in the bogs beforehand by Karl Power and we'll be laughing...

Unread 23-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Pete's Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley
I have been seriously thinking about this - and this is the way ahead (assuming injuries galore still).

VDS

RafaelRio
Evra
Giggs

Park
Fletchergeddon
Carrick
Ronaldo

Rooney
Das Berb von Atovstein.

As well we need a pro-wrestling attack on Ibramivivivivvovic in the bogs beforehand by Karl Power and we'll be laughing...
Rafael is out too unfortunately mate

Unread 23-02-2009, 11:59 AM
The Watcher

This is £#%&!ing gutting. Defensively, we’ve been brilliant since coming back from Japan and been on an excellent run – only too loose most of our first choice defence when the biggest game of the season comes round! Just our £#%&!ing luck

If Carrick is forced to play at CB, our midfield will really suffer. I wouldn’t want us to start with both Scholes and Giggs playing in the middle.

Very worried about this game.

Unread 23-02-2009, 12:02 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
/trequartista

Unread 23-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete's Shoes
Rafael is out too unfortunately mate
What
Didn't know that - oh boy, if O'Shea doesn't make it are we then looking at Fletcher at right back?

What a defensive pile up!

Evans, Vidic, G Nev, Brown, Rafael, O'Shea - all out? That would affect any team tbh.

Still - I think this will be made for Rio and VDS - I reckon they will be immense tomorrow.

Unread 23-02-2009, 12:05 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Still - I think this will be made for Rio and VDS - I reckon they will be immense tomorrow.
I hope so.

However, if one of Evans/O'Shea is available, I'd play Fabio at RB. The temptation is put Fletcher in there, but we need him in midfield.

£#%&! me, this is worrying.

Unread 23-02-2009, 12:08 PM
denis lawless

Thumbs up

we'll be playing with a 10 man defence.....got 0-0 written all over it

id prefer 1-1

Unread 23-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Baron

Quote:
Rio & Evra are the irreplaceable ones imo. The right back position has been a mish-mash of whoever is fit & capable all season, Vidic has been magnificent recently but in the CL I'm crapping myself without Rio in the side tbf. Evra makes Ronnie a better player as he understands the need to create space for him by overlapping. He's also tremendous one on one. Filling the gaps is going to be awkward, but I fully expect Evans & O'Shea to play. They might hobble through an hour or so but it's better than lining up with a midfielder covering instead.

Unread 23-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Rio & Evra are the irreplaceable ones imo. The right back position has been a mish-mash of whoever is fit & capable all season, Vidic has been magnificent recently but in the CL I'm crapping myself without Rio in the side tbf. Evra makes Ronnie a better player as he understands the need to create space for him by overlapping. He's also tremendous one on one. Filling the gaps is going to be awkward, but I fully expect Evans & O'Shea to play. They might hobble through an hour or so but it's better than lining up with a midfielder covering instead.
BvM

I really hope that you are right

Btw - who would have seen the day 12 months ago that we'd all be praying that Evans and O'Shea can be fit for Inter. It's credit-crunch-tastic indeed.

Unread 23-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Pete's Shoes

I would be happy with Eckersley at right back if it came to that, he would fine and wouldn't let anyone down from what I've seen of him.

Unread 23-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete's Shoes
I would be happy with Eckersley at right back if it came to that, he would fine and wouldn't let anyone down from what I've seen of him.
PS - doing some good work here mate

I didn't even realise Eckersley was in the CL squad - need to invoke the power of Google methinks....

Unread 23-02-2009, 01:00 PM
shenwen

Quote:
BvM

I really hope that you are right

Btw - who would have seen the day 12 months ago that we'd all be praying that Evans and O'Shea can be fit for Inter. It's credit-crunch-tastic indeed.
did that today. sat reading an article about carrick at CB and thought to myself "shit I hoope o'shea is fit in time." then I caught myself on, or whatever it is the Irish say.

Unread 23-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Part 36 Offer

Is there any evidence Neville didn't travel??

Unread 23-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

What the £#%&!

Who is available?

Unread 23-02-2009, 01:16 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
What the £#%&!

Who is available?
Nobody actually knows, well maybe Fergie does.

Unread 23-02-2009, 01:18 PM
SilverSurfer

Quote:
Btw - who would have seen the day 12 months ago that we'd all be praying that Evans and O'Shea can be fit for Inter.
No, we'd have all been dreading a likely appearance of Silvestre

Unread 23-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
What the £#%&!

Who is available?
Here is the squad

Full Squad: Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak, Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Brown, Vidic, Fabio, Rafael, O'Shea, Anderson, Giggs, Park, Carrick, Nani, Scholes, Fletcher, Possebon, Petrucci, Ronaldo, Berbatov, Rooney, Tevez, Macheda, Amos, Eckersley, Evans, Gibson, Welbeck.

I see only 5 fit defenders - 4 if Rafael is out

Neville,
Evra, Ferdinand,
Brown,
Vidic,
Fabio, Rafael
O'Shea,
Eckersley
Evans,
Closed Thread