United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-09-2011, 11:16 PM
no fun

Default Re: If you could compare your own style of play...

as a kid - sammy mac

as a young man - denis law

now - an off form tom sloane

Unread 12-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Jethro

Sparky

Unread 12-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Alex Forsyth

Unread 13-09-2011, 12:03 AM
HarkNowHear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Alex Forsyth
Loved Bruce

Unread 13-09-2011, 01:25 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Sparky
What's your k/d?

Unread 13-09-2011, 01:27 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
Paul Parker/Andy Cole/Dion Dublin/Dwight Yorke/Ashley Young

Unread 13-09-2011, 02:44 AM
Grimson

United's keepers have either been too good or too eccentric/unconventional (Barthez) for any comparison. My greatest weakness was my physique - built like De Gea but only a bit over six feet, which is just not big enough.

I honestly think I could still do a job in the Conference at 45 and might try it at 50 just for something to write about.

Unread 13-09-2011, 03:01 AM
thenorthwillriseagain

depends on the team i play for
when i was in the team that once featured popular fredster zorg i was like a cross between nobby stiles and paul mcgrath good tackles and ball playing centre back

in the team i play for now i'm the utility john o'shea player mixed in with a little wes brown

Unread 13-09-2011, 05:58 AM
shenwen

phil neville, but with no left foot

Unread 13-09-2011, 06:05 AM
bcred

Except I'm not a yorkie,or that good.
Here's a bit of history for those of you that don't know about the great Tommy Taylor
Knicked from the official.

Tommy Taylor is regarded by those who saw him play as the greatest centre-forward ever to represent Manchester United and England.

He was the finest header of a ball in his era, his control and first-time passing immaculate, his scoring rate for club and country extraordinary. In fact, he was so good that the great Alfredo Di Stefano of Real Madrid dubbed him 'Magnifico'.

Taylor is often inaccurately labelled a Busby Babe. Although he was member of Matt Busby’s team of youngsters, he was not home-grown, but signed from Barnsley for £29,999 in March 1953 - a fee agreed so that Taylor would not be burdened with the label
of a £30,000 player – a tea lady getting the extra pound.

The big Yorkshireman’s path to Old Trafford was an unusual one in modern terms. At the age of 14 he was working at the Warncliffe Colliery, a job he left to begin a professional football career with Barnsley FC.

At 18 he began two years’ national service and on 25 May 1950 duly became Gunner Taylor 22366853, being posted to Oswestry with the Royal Artillery.

In 1953 United were coming to the end of an era, with Matt Busby and Jimmy Murphy on the look out for a new centre-forward. Taylor fitted the bill and once signed he soon justified their faith.

Unread 13-09-2011, 06:11 AM
believe

Owen Hargreaves

Unread 13-09-2011, 06:30 AM
Fountz

younger days.. Gordon Hill/Jesper Olson - Great dribbler me.. and lazy

older days.. hate to say it, but Carrick . Timid in the tackle, but kept the shouters at bay with a handful of visionary passes and glory-balls a game. A well executed volley or shot into the top corner every now and again always helps aswell. And yes, always unfit and lazy.

Unread 13-09-2011, 06:35 AM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkNowHear
Loved Bruce
Let's have a look at the old scoreboard. Running a pub now in Hamilton, Scotland - may go up there for a pint if only to warn him about Big Jim Holton's fate post landlording tbholts.

Unread 13-09-2011, 08:02 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
United's keepers have either been too good or too eccentric/unconventional (Barthez) for any comparison. My greatest weakness was my physique - built like De Gea but only a bit over six feet, which is just not big enough.

I honestly think I could still do a job in the Conference at 45 and might try it at 50 just for something to write about.
John o'shea in goal

Unread 13-09-2011, 11:57 AM
andyroo

Gabriel Obertan.

And that's just when I'm keeping goal.

Unread 13-09-2011, 12:02 PM
forzagarza

Alan Bennett

Unread 13-09-2011, 12:19 PM
eusker

At primary school - Bryan Robson. Our primary school team won every league game for two years, many of them by more than 10 goals.

At high school - Darron Gibson. Underwhelming, but I could @#%&! it quite hard. Variable accuracy.

Unread 13-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Whip Hubley

Hard working centre forward with a decent pass and an eye for goal A better player when I came back from my ACL op as well, strangely.

er, ole....?

Unread 13-09-2011, 02:54 PM
dodger

Graeme Hogg
Closed Thread