United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
village v village matters, bud. it's where it all started.
And look where that's got you.

Not you, you know.

Unread 04-12-2013, 04:03 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw
He sounds like an Australian. (Present company excepted, Roo)

One day my mates and I decided we were all getting a bit tubby from beer drinking in our mid-20s so we hit upon the brilliant idea of starting up an indoor cricket team... before our first game we thought we should get in a bit of practice first, we went up to the nets at the Richie Benaud Oval and while we were practising we could hear there was a game of some sort of football on the oval, probably rugby league given the location, anyway we could hear one of the coaches giving the team an absolute spray.

THAT WAS SHITHOUSE! THAT WAS PATHETIC! JESUS CHRIST... THEY'RE LAUGHIN' AT YA CAUSE YOU'RE CRAP!

NOW LISTEN 'ERE...

YOU GOTTA GO IN 'ARD, YOU GOTTA NAIL 'EM... YOU GOTTA HURT THEM BEFORE THEY HURT YOU!

And we turned around... and it was little eight year olds he was roaring at. Disgraceful really but it was £#%&!ing hilarious.

We called the team the Phil Tufnel Fielding Academy, and one of the lads was a Latin scholar so he translated "they're laughin' at ya cause you're crap" as our team motto.

Unread 04-12-2013, 04:08 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
We called the team the Phil Tufnel Fielding Academy, and one of the lads was a Latin scholar so he translated "they're laughin' at ya cause you're crap" as our team motto.
Banter.

Unread 04-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
you've come out of your six-yard box
That doesn't sounds like me btw.

Unread 04-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Crumps

If your kids have no natural skill whatsoever teach them how to defend properly and get the simple shit right.

Was never without a team or game time due to the way my granddad taught me how to play football as he was a centre half by trade. Was always okay in the air but my lack of concern for my own safety, strength, bit of a nasty streak and knowing how to play against players who were much better than me saw me right for years. Was nice to be appreciated by teammates who were twice the players I could ever wish to be too.

Hated the right back days between 11-14 as I didn't grow til then, £#%&!ing loads of running and wingers tended to be above average and fast. Then went from 5"4 to 5"11 in about 6 months meaning what little coordination I had went right out of the £#%&!ing window.

Did cause problems when I was younger though as I would go against orders, walked off the pitch once when I was moved to right £#%&!ing wing. I am slow and have no experience of the £#%&!ing position.

Unread 04-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
That doesn't sounds like me btw.
That doesn't either.

Unread 04-12-2013, 06:00 PM
MUFC One Love

I'm taking over our school team after xmas. Year 5 & 6.

Unread 04-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
I'm taking over our school team after xmas. Year 5 & 6.
School football was ace. My year was brilliant, was lucky to be in the team tbh.

Got called offside in my own half playing for school against Coney Green iirc at their place. My reaction saw me sent off and threatened with getting suspended (from school). Was a right angry bastard in puberty. If there would have been pictures taken it would have been the Bury Schools version of the D'urso incident. I went £#%&!ing apeshit. Big bald Crumps going mental at some poor parent who got roped into being a linesman.

Unread 04-12-2013, 06:07 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
School football was ace. My year was brilliant, was lucky to be in the team tbh.

Got called offside in my own half playing for school against Coney Green iirc at their place. My reaction saw me sent off and threatened with getting suspended (from school). Was a right angry b****** in puberty. If there would have been pictures taken it would have been the Bury Schools version of the D'urso incident. I went f***ing apes***. Big bald Crumps going mental at some poor parent who got roped into being a linesman.
I wore the black & green stripes on occasion.

Unread 04-12-2013, 06:19 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
The problem isn't results or competitiveness. It's that he said nothing about development. At under 10, that's more important than results.

A competitive fixture that doesn't matter and that the players themselves will have forgotten on the ride home.

Argie has it right. Like me, I believe he does this for a living. The goal at grassroots level is to develop better players. Winning is nice, but everyone knows that up to around U12 or 13, the team with the bigger kids wins more often. By 16, those bigger kids often turn out to be shite, as well as the players who played alongside them, because they were never taught the game. Playing the 'right way' at youth level is sometimes counter-intuitive to getting results. You still have to do it if you want better players.

Anyway, if you just teach defensive shape and pressing/covering, you're probably going to win most games anyway. I do
get a load of george graham, here. "...then all take a step forward together and raise your hand."

boring boring grimmers...

Unread 04-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
I wore the black & green stripes on occasion.
Our kit was a £#%&!ing purple rugby shirt with a white collar from that shop across the road from the Bulls head in Whitefield. If it rained you were carrying an extra half stone.

Unread 04-12-2013, 06:53 PM
92ToBury

Quote:

Got called offside in my own half playing for school against Coney Green iirc at their place. My reaction saw me sent off and threatened with getting suspended (from school). Was a right angry bastard in puberty. If there would have been pictures taken it would have been the Bury Schools version of the D'urso incident. I went £#%&!ing apeshit. Big bald Crumps going mental at some poor parent who got roped into being a linesman.
Reminds me of the linesman who flagged a united player offside against olympiakos. From a throw in the £#%&!wit. An error of judgement is one thing but not knowing the rules is a whole different level of shitness.

Unread 04-12-2013, 06:54 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Our kit was a £#%&!ing purple rugby shirt with a white collar from that shop across the road from the Bulls head in Whitefield. If it rained you were carrying an extra half stone.
Parrenthorn lad eh?

Unread 04-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Parrenthorn lad eh?
Indeed. Bussed in on the 798 with the Blackley scum.

Unread 05-12-2013, 01:05 AM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Reminds me of the linesman who flagged a united player offside against olympiakos. From a throw in the f***wit. An error of judgement is one thing but not knowing the rules is a whole different level of s***ness.
That was against Porto. The same referee who disallowed a goal later on.

Unread 05-12-2013, 12:48 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Not sure I've got a view on this until the forums very own Rinus Michels (SSG2) has opined.
Don't worry pal i'm here.

Id like to think we have our set up pretty much spot on.
We have 5 teams and the teams are streamed so the competitive and able lads can play at a decent level and play to win.
The other 4 teams are there for the lads to have fun and enjoy it.
The top team has 13 players for 9 aside and everyone gets equal time on the pitch

there shouldn't be one rule for kids football, let the kids who want to just play with their mates do that, the ones who want to be competitive should be allowed too

Unread 05-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2
Don't worry pal i'm here.

Id like to think we have our set up pretty much spot on.
We have 5 teams and the teams are streamed so the competitive and able lads can play at a decent level and play to win.
The other 4 teams are there for the lads to have fun and enjoy it.
The top team has 13 players for 9 aside and everyone gets equal time on the pitch

there shouldn't be one rule for kids football, let the kids who want to just play with their mates do that, the ones who want to be competitive should be allowed too
So the ones who want to play for fun and enjoy it don't want to be competitive and the ones who ones who are more able don't want to enjoy it?

Unread 05-12-2013, 02:05 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
So the ones who want to play for fun and enjoy it don't want to be competitive and the ones who ones who are more able don't want to enjoy it?
No, some are more competitive than others and take it more seriously, they are competitive kids and should rightly play with other competitive kids.

We tried mixing our squads over the summer and the difference was staggering both in terms of attitude and ability

I'd like to think that we could accommodate any child into out club regardless of ability or attitude to football and that's the way it should be

Unread 05-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2
No, some are more competitive than others and take it more seriously, they are competitive kids and should rightly play with other competitive kids.

We tried mixing our squads over the summer and the difference was staggering both in terms of attitude and ability

I'd like to think that we could accommodate any child into out club regardless of ability or attitude to football and that's the way it should be
No? As in my question was incorrect. Or no as in my question is bang on?

All sport should be played for enjoyment - which people call fun - and to be competitive. Otherwise, what's the point?

Unread 05-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Withers

Quote:
No? As in my question was incorrect. Or no as in my question is bang on?

All sport should be played for enjoyment - which people call fun - and to be competitive. Otherwise, what's the point?
I'm guessing the answer is- Pulling birds?
Closed Thread