United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-06-2023, 09:29 PM
ryanMUFC

Genuinely couldn’t give a £#%&!.

I’d probably be annoyed if they won it and didn’t have 115 charges against them but they do. It’s football nowadays.

If we we were taken over by Qatar tomorrow and won the quad, it wouldn’t be a patch on the 99 treble.

Unread 11-06-2023, 09:54 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkon

They still do.
That's only a recent thing tho, isn't it? I'm sure it was like it used to be at all other stadiums, stupid mini stage in the middle of the pitch.

Unread 12-06-2023, 12:16 AM
westcoastvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Seems that we're sat here every £#%&!ing season with trebles and quadruples being talked about realistically. Used to be a once in a generation that a team would have the chance. Now it seems like every year.

If they were ever going to do it, this was their year. Every other team flopping over the line after a world cup mid season and City with the biggest and best squad just over-powered everyone. Once Arsenal completely shat the bed in the league this was an utter inevitability. City's biggest challenge on the face of it overcoming that 8 point gap with a month to go. Arsenal's utter implosion meant they had a dream run to the FA Cup final beating £#%&!ing burnley and sheffield United and played against the worst Bayern and Madrid sides i've seen in the last 20 years in Europe.

That left them with the relatively simple task of beating a depleted United side that can't score goals and an Inter side full of premier league rejects. It's a great achievement to win the treble but nobody will remember any of those individual fixtures in 20 years time outside of City's fans. They weren't dramatic or exciting, they weren't great sides going toe-to-toe, they were all mostly one-sided non-events that made up a methodical, robotic march to inevitable trophies.

And i think that characterises perfectly Guardiola's time at City. Without Messi there to add the stardust his sides are what they are - relentlessly drilled machines that churn out results. There's very little panache or flair about any of it, even though there's much to admire about the relentless way they set about their task - they just don't capture the imagination of anyone.

It's sad that United's treble no longer stands alone in the record books but with the way football has gone in the last 15 years it was only ever a matter of time before it was equalled. The gap between the top teams and the also rans is bigger than ever before, all the talent is concentrated in a very small group of clubs and the premier league is crushing the life out of european football in general.
The fact that Real Madrid blew Liverpool out of the water, and then Man City turned around and did the same thing to Madrid says a lot about the dominance of money in football today.

Thus, I didn’t expect Arsenal to be able to hold the line against a team that could probably field two top 4 starting 11 teams, (were all aware United’s ownership problems) and Serie a has become a bit of a backwater, so….I wasn’t expecting Inter to win.

Sadly, with unlimited funds at his disposal….might not be Pep’s last treble.

Unread 12-06-2023, 08:14 AM
Dasilvatwins

Take a look at the top 10 articles on sky sports news. Gossip about maguire is ahead of the only story of city winning the treble. It’s only been 2 days I thought they’d drag it out for a bit, how articles how haaland is better than any player than any other, how guardiola basically invented football? They couldn’t last 2 days ffs

Unread 12-06-2023, 09:08 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Seems that we're sat here every £#%&!ing season with trebles and quadruples being talked about realistically. Used to be a once in a generation that a team would have the chance. Now it seems like every year.

If they were ever going to do it, this was their year. Every other team flopping over the line after a world cup mid season and City with the biggest and best squad just over-powered everyone. Once Arsenal completely shat the bed in the league this was an utter inevitability. City's biggest challenge on the face of it overcoming that 8 point gap with a month to go. Arsenal's utter implosion meant they had a dream run to the FA Cup final beating £#%&!ing burnley and sheffield United and played against the worst Bayern and Madrid sides i've seen in the last 20 years in Europe.

That left them with the relatively simple task of beating a depleted United side that can't score goals and an Inter side full of premier league rejects. It's a great achievement to win the treble but nobody will remember any of those individual fixtures in 20 years time outside of City's fans. They weren't dramatic or exciting, they weren't great sides going toe-to-toe, they were all mostly one-sided non-events that made up a methodical, robotic march to inevitable trophies.

And i think that characterises perfectly Guardiola's time at City. Without Messi there to add the stardust his sides are what they are - relentlessly drilled machines that churn out results. There's very little panache or flair about any of it, even though there's much to admire about the relentless way they set about their task - they just don't capture the imagination of anyone.

It's sad that United's treble no longer stands alone in the record books but with the way football has gone in the last 15 years it was only ever a matter of time before it was equalled. The gap between the top teams and the also rans is bigger than ever before, all the talent is concentrated in a very small group of clubs and the premier league is crushing the life out of european football in general.
Absolutely bang on with every word

I didn't bother watching the game on Saturday. We all knew what the outcome would be. Little, plucky city eh?

Unread 12-06-2023, 09:31 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Absolutely bang on with every word

I didn't bother watching the game on Saturday. We all knew what the outcome would be. Little, plucky city eh?
They were actually played off the park, if inter had any form of striker....

Oh well....

Life moves on.

Unread 12-06-2023, 02:43 PM
92ToBury

The Bert propaganda machine is in full swing on the BBC website.

Meanwhile the local divs on Facebook are too busy talking about us to celebrate their treble.

Unread 12-06-2023, 02:49 PM
est.1878

remember when you couldnt have parades after CL wins due to safety concerns ? if I see Richard Leese on the balcony tonight i don't think I will be able to stifle a seeth

Unread 12-06-2023, 03:10 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
remember when you couldnt have parades after CL wins due to safety concerns ? if I see Richard Leese on the balcony tonight i don't think I will be able to stifle a seeth
they don't have enough fans to warrant saftey concerns. We'd have had hundreds of thousands in the streets after 08.

Unread 12-06-2023, 05:28 PM
MagnificentSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
The Bert propaganda machine is in full swing on the BBC website.

Meanwhile the local divs on Facebook are too busy talking about us to celebrate their treble.
i'm seeing quite a few articles about them on the bbc, but not as much as i was expecting given it's an english club who have won the treble.

liverpool winning it in 2019 got way, way more coverage. hell, even leeds getting promoted the other year did. city such a non entity of a club.

Unread 12-06-2023, 06:01 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
Is this why they were shutting off Quay Street?

Might go down for a laugh.

Unread 12-06-2023, 06:11 PM
NedKelly

embarrassing

Unread 12-06-2023, 06:35 PM
AK14

Unread 12-06-2023, 06:39 PM
Dr Stranger

Someone please go down and post pics.

Unread 12-06-2023, 06:43 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Someone please go down and post pics.
Get a bedsheet painted with CHEATS on it.

Knowing this place, it'll have to be CHEETES

Unread 12-06-2023, 06:54 PM
CyrilSkeer

With a bit of luck the thunder storms will be pissing on their parade. Still, it'll give them a grand excuse for the shit turnout

Unread 12-06-2023, 06:56 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilSkeer
With a bit of luck the thunder storms will be pissing on their parade. Still, it'll give them a grand excuse for the shit turnout
Wheelchairs and rain don't mix tbh. Often end up tipped over.

Unread 12-06-2023, 06:59 PM
Dr Stranger

Surely not

Unread 12-06-2023, 07:00 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilSkeer
With a thunderstorm, them all together on a bus, and each handling big lumps of metal, I’m hoping for a better ‘bit of luck’ than heavy rain.
Closed Thread