United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive
Closed Thread

Unread 05-05-2017, 03:03 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Oh right, I stand corrected

I didn't say it was prestigious, you've completely missed the point. I said we're in it, it's our best chance of getting in the CL, it's pretty much the only trophy we've not won so people should stop moaning, stop being so pretentious and enjoy it. Yes it would be wonderful if we were in the CL final instead but your best mate Louis saw to it that we're in this instead, so suck it up.
No, but I did. And you started off quoting me

People can enjoy it all they want, but if we win the final I'll be buzzing about being back in the CL, not winning a third-rate trophy.

Unread 05-05-2017, 03:03 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Really?

I think you'll find it's about finishing 4th and then getting knocked out of the cl group stages against abysmal competition.

Anyway, we're not through to the final yet and if there's one thing you can guarantee, it's that united will try their level best to £#%&! this up at some point - just hope they don't succeed.

PSV 2-1 Manchester United
Manchester United 2-1 Wolfsburg - Currently in the relegation zone
CSKA Moscow 1-1 Manchester United
Manchester United 1-0 CSKA Moscow - Nothing to add
Manchester United 0-0 PSV - Winless and bottom of their CL group this year
Wolfsburg 3-2 Manchester United

Prestige

Fully expecting United to make hard work of Celta next week but for once 1-1 is a good result for us so I've got some faith.

Unread 05-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Pretty much everyone.

I haven't said we don't/shouldn't want to win it. I've said there's little prestige in it anymore.

Half the people on here probably don't usually watch the final. Don't tell me it's a prestigious competition these days
I don't watch the champions league or fa cup finals either these days, unless United are in them. It's not the competition's fault. It's the shits that run the game.

The cup winners cup only lost prestige after the changes made to the European cup. Same with the uefa cup. The champions league has £#%&!ed everything, including the fa cup.

Unread 05-05-2017, 03:10 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
I couldn't even name the previous five winners
Seville, mainly..

Unread 05-05-2017, 03:10 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd

PSV 2-1 Manchester United
Manchester United 2-1 Wolfsburg - Currently in the relegation zone
CSKA Moscow 1-1 Manchester United
Manchester United 1-0 CSKA Moscow - Nothing to add
Manchester United 0-0 PSV - Winless and bottom of their CL group this year
Wolfsburg 3-2 Manchester United

Prestige

Fully expecting United to make hard work of Celta next week but for once 1-1 is a good result for us so I've got some faith.
The CL is always prestigious, no matter who is in it. The buzz of CL nights

Btw, here's our manager on this competition when he returned to Chelsea (after Benitez had won the Europa )

Quote:
'I don't want to win the Europa League. It would be a big disappointment for me. I don't want my players to feel the Europa League is our competition'
And in September, when he thought we were title challengers:

Quote:
“It's not a competition I want, it's not a competition the players want.

“We must find that motivation that I found myself already and I have to pass that motivation on to the players, because I know the Europa League is not the big dream of every big player.

“I think we want to do well in the competition and, for a club of our dimension to do well, is not to be out of the competition in the group phase.”
Which is totally right. Trophy snob

Unread 05-05-2017, 03:18 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick

Siders ffs, absolute fun sponge.
I've said I'll be happy. In fact, I said 'buzzing' iirc. Just not pretending it's the World Cup we've won is all.

£#%&!ing #cans crew giving tips about fun

Unread 05-05-2017, 03:19 PM
Bunker Buster

Got to back my boy Siders here (and Fergie)

Up till last night I've hardly enjoyed a minute of it. Vile competition, disgusting clubs, kick off times, prestige....

We used to mock the English teams who were in it...

Unread 05-05-2017, 03:20 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
The CL is always prestigious, no matter who is in it. The buzz of CL nights
I'm with you, nothing beats CL Quarters/Semis, but it's not like we have the choice at the moment. The Europa is punishing and has lost prestige but imo so has the CL, it's an utter procession until the latter stages and even then it's the same teams from the same countries.

If we don't qualify for CL next year I would rather forfeit Europa entry but I'm genuinely buzzing at the prospect of a Euro final, the prospect of not facing some drugged up £#%&!ers when we get there and of making history for the club and for European football.

waynes ear's

Quote:

Siders ffs, absolute fun sponge.
deffo puts the laugh in manslaughter does Siders

taff

i'd quite like to win the europa without actually having to play the games. that would be good.

Unread 05-05-2017, 03:21 PM
dragflick

Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm with you, nothing beats CL Quarters/Semis, but it's not like we have the choice at the moment. The Europa is punishing and has lost prestige but imo so has the CL, it's an utter procession until the latter stages and even then it's the same teams from the same countries.

If we don't qualify for CL next year I would rather forfeit Europa entry but I'm genuinely buzzing at the prospect of a Euro final, the prospect of not facing some drugged up £#%&!ers when we get there and of making history for the club and for European football.

Unread 05-05-2017, 03:22 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

I know you're a the set man too, pal. Respect that. And you agree it's lost prestige, which is all I said to get the cans funboys in a frenzy.

Unread 05-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
I know you're a the set man too, pal. Respect that. And you agree it's lost prestige, which is all I said to get the cans funboys in a frenzy.
Still got the funk on about Ceefax boasting our European home record was still intact when we got knocked out by Volgograd in '95.

Unread 05-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
really? who disagreed with that?

wasn't aware the europa ever had any prestige to lose tbh. I disagreed with your assessment that it's embarassing, but that's a bit different to not having prestige.

Unread 05-05-2017, 03:39 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Got to back my boy Siders here (and Fergie)

Up till last night I've hardly enjoyed a minute of it. Vile competition, disgusting clubs, kick off times, prestige....

We used to mock the English teams who were in it...
How we scoffed & patronised Milan when they went full Europa.

What happened to them? etc. Tell you what happened. Europa #cans

Unread 05-05-2017, 03:41 PM
dragflick

Quote:
How we scoffed & patronised Milan when they went full Europa.

What happened to them? etc. Tell you what happened. Europa #cans
You enjoy watching it from your mum's box room, pal

Unread 05-05-2017, 03:43 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
really? who disagreed with that?

wasn't aware the europa ever had any prestige to lose tbh. I disagreed with your assessment that it's embarassing, but that's a bit different to not having prestige.
It's hardly a massive jump to say it's an embarrassing competition to be in if we readily acknowledge that it has no prestige, surely?

Unread 05-05-2017, 03:43 PM
Tiberian

They awarded the CL place for winning the Europa to try and bring some level of engagement for the clubs. Been a success for the first year if Utd v Ajax is the final, 2 of the historic clubs is probably as good as it will get for this tournament profile wise.

Still a pile of shite mind.

Unread 05-05-2017, 03:44 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
You enjoy watching it from your mum's box room, pal
Might watch it from your mum's box tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
They awarded the CL place for winning the Europa to try and bring some level of engagement for the clubs. Been a success for the first year if Utd v Ajax is the final, 2 of the historic clubs is probably as good as it will get for this tournament profile wise.

Still a pile of shite mind.
Careful, pal. Might need to get a can down you.

Unread 05-05-2017, 03:46 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Might watch it from your mum's box .
Closed Thread