United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Love United, Hate Glazer

Unread 20-11-2023, 10:16 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
There were protests before the takeover. Hth.
Chris Eccleston donated ten grand to SU back then. To think, Fergie and Gill could have stopped it all.

Unread 20-11-2023, 10:48 AM
believe

Quote:
There were protests before the takeover. Hth.
Glazer protests?

Unread 20-11-2023, 10:54 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Glazer protests?
Yes

Unread 20-11-2023, 10:58 AM
believe

Quote:
Yes
News to me. I don’t think I’d ever heard of them until the day they took over.

Unread 20-11-2023, 11:00 AM
Ethers

Quote:
News to me. I don’t think I’d ever heard of them until the day they took over.
Erm, ok.

It was May 2005 when they took control of the club. There were huge protests going back as far as 2004.

Unread 20-11-2023, 11:08 AM
believe

Quote:
Erm, ok.

It was May 2005 when they took control of the club. There were huge protests going back as far as 2004.
Honestly don’t remember any and I went home and away that season. I knew there were rumblings that Magnier was going to sell but I only remember the protest in early 2005.

Unread 20-11-2023, 11:16 AM
est.1878

Was a cold and rainy town hall meet when we invaded JP morgan and shut down the store on market street .Thinking November 04, CQ to confirm.

Also -

https://www.theguardian.com/football...sstory.sport14

Unread 20-11-2023, 11:18 AM
Ethers

This was October 2004.

There was other protests too. Didn’t a reserve game get stopped? The MEC were active paying people doorstep visits. Maurice Watkins had his car covered in paint.

Unread 20-11-2023, 11:20 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
This was October 2004.

There was other protests too. Didn’t a reserve game get stopped? The MEC were active paying people doorstep visits. Maurice Watkins had his car covered in paint.
There was loads of protests in 2004. MEC behind most of them. reserve game at Altrincham was stopped.

Unread 20-11-2023, 11:25 AM
est.1878

https://imgbb.com/4SV8QwP

Unread 20-11-2023, 11:35 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
This was October 2004.

They whipped that out at Spurs away if i remember rightly, back end of the 2002/03 season when we won 2-0. Scholes and Van Nistelrooy scored. I was in the home end.

Unread 20-11-2023, 11:46 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Honestly don’t remember any and I went home and away that season. I knew there were rumblings that Magnier was going to sell but I only remember the protest in early 2005.
Really surprised that these key dates aren't down in your Fred-o-Fax tbh.

Unread 20-11-2023, 11:46 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
They whipped that out at Spurs away if i remember rightly, back end of the 2002/03 season when we won 2-0. Scholes and Van Nistelrooy scored. I was in the home end.
Nah, it wasn't that flag. It was a massive one but nothing to do with protests

It said

We've got Wesley Brown
We've got John O'Shea
Manchester is dreaming
Of silverware in May

Unread 20-11-2023, 12:21 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Nah, it wasn't that flag. It was a massive one but nothing to do with protests

It said

We've got Wesley Brown
We've got John O'Shea
Manchester is dreaming
Of silverware in May
Ah that was it.

Unread 20-11-2023, 01:27 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Jesus....

Unread 20-11-2023, 04:20 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Was a cold and rainy town hall meet when we invaded JP morgan and shut down the store on market street .Thinking November 04, CQ to confirm.

Also -

https://www.theguardian.com/football...sstory.sport14
Yup, there were a number of different protests:

Protesting at the stock exchange which made national news
Arsenal protests which shut down megastore
Hereford horse racing protests
Spamming the banks and in particular Allen & Overy (Glazer lawyers) which they admitted shut them down for a few days

At the time IMUSA was de facto SU and were organising some of the larger events. MEC was behind the more militant stuff including the cancelled Cheltenham protest and the burning of the American flag at Moss Lane that Ethers mentioned, gutted I missed that last one as I went to most reserve games at the time. Hyman by any chance did you know bury_red (Alan)?

Unread 20-11-2023, 04:25 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
And how many protests have you ever been to, exactly?
protests do £#%&! all. leadership, a workable plan and solidarity was required. I couldn't provide the solidarity. soz.

Unread 20-11-2023, 04:28 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
protests do £#%&! all. leadership, a workable plan and solidarity was required. I couldn't provide the solidarity. soz.
I'm with you on that.

Unread 20-11-2023, 04:34 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
I'm with you on that.

Unread 20-11-2023, 07:04 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Yup, there were a number of different protests:

Protesting at the stock exchange which made national news
Arsenal protests which shut down megastore
Hereford horse racing protests
Spamming the banks and in particular Allen & Overy (Glazer lawyers) which they admitted shut them down for a few days

At the time IMUSA was de facto SU and were organising some of the larger events. MEC was behind the more militant stuff including the cancelled Cheltenham protest and the burning of the American flag at Moss Lane that Ethers mentioned, gutted I missed that last one as I went to most reserve games at the time. Hyman by any chance did you know bury_red (Alan)?
No mate unless he goes by a different name. Will know him by sight I imagine. The large group of reds I know ish well in Bury were a very active hoolie crew in the late 80’s and 90’s rather than protester/club ethics. Still see a few of them at matches from time to time and we moan about how badly it’s changed….