United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 05-05-2023, 04:01 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Go for it pal, you seem to believe everything on a football pitch can be measured by some metric on fbref.com. That’s fair enough. I don’t.

He’s scored 6 goals
I don't, it's just a useful tool for showing a lot of the things he lacks or fails to do.

Unread 05-05-2023, 05:40 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Go for it pal, you seem to believe everything on a football pitch can be measured by some metric on fbref.com. That’s fair enough. I don’t.
He only started using it last month as well

Like a kid with a new toy, bless...

Unread 05-05-2023, 05:56 PM
Ethers

Heard he’s been seen cutting about in this….

Unread 05-05-2023, 06:05 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Heard he’s been seen cutting about in this….

Prefer the one in red, tbf.

G2C the Chuckle Brothers ignoring the stats.

Unread 05-05-2023, 09:40 PM
ZiggyStardust

The problem against Brighton was the same problem we’ve had all season against good sides away from home, we can’t play with any control and impose ourselves on the game

We have to be the sloppiest team in the league
Can’t build any pressure or momentum when we give the ball away so needlessly
That brings us to the elephant in the room, how often did Dave just give the ball back to Brighton in the 2nd half by just booting it up the pitch leading to sustained Brighton pressure

If Dave is still number 1 next season expect to see more of these away performances as we simply can’t play out from the back and control games with him in goal

Unread 06-05-2023, 06:09 AM
believe

Quote:
a major problem or controversial issue which is obviously present but is avoided as a subject for discussion.
Yeah right

Unread 06-05-2023, 07:34 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
The problem against Brighton was the same problem we’ve had all season against good sides away from home, we can’t play with any control and impose ourselves on the game

We have to be the sloppiest team in the league
Can’t build any pressure or momentum when we give the ball away so needlessly
That brings us to the elephant in the room, how often did Dave just give the ball back to Brighton in the 2nd half by just booting it up the pitch leading to sustained Brighton pressure

If Dave is still number 1 next season expect to see more of these away performances as we simply can’t play out from the back and control games with him in goal
You’re right pal. Pretty much all our problems start and end with that waste of space. His insipidness affects the whole team - you’d have to be mad to ignore how Dave’s distribution puts our midfield under pressure and that has a knock on effect upfront. It leads to Antony’s inability to shoot pass or cross with his right and you could even argue that martial’s lack of determination and spirit is down to him seeing that goth mess in nets. He looks at his white heavy metal style head and practically gives up.

I think we’re seeing a different cass now because of Dave. Cass pointing out how goalies need to make themselves big was a real eye opener in how little trust cass has in Dave. Cass’s poor performances of late can all be put at Dave’s door imo. Or at least some of them. And most worrying is we’re seeing Dave’s influence now affecting Erik’s team selection and tactics. Very worrying. Erik not setting up with a more solid midfield is pretty much all down to how weak Erik thinks Dave is. I think Erik offering Dave a new contract is proof if anything of how little trust Erik has in Dave - it’s clearly just to protect value.

Get rid of Dave and this team wins the title. End of.

Unread 06-05-2023, 08:06 AM
Knockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
You’re right pal. Pretty much all our problems start and end with that waste of space. His insipidness affects the whole team - you’d have to be mad to ignore how Dave’s distribution puts our midfield under pressure and that has a knock on effect upfront. It leads to Antony’s inability to shoot pass or cross with his right and you could even argue that martial’s lack of determination and spirit is down to him seeing that goth mess in nets. He looks at his white heavy metal style head and practically gives up.

I think we’re seeing a different cass now because of Dave. Cass pointing out how goalies need to make themselves big was a real eye opener in how little trust cass has in Dave. Cass’s poor performances of late can all be put at Dave’s door imo. Or at least some of them. And most worrying is we’re seeing Dave’s influence now affecting Erik’s team selection and tactics. Very worrying. Erik not setting up with a more solid midfield is pretty much all down to how weak Erik thinks Dave is. I think Erik offering Dave a new contract is proof if anything of how little trust Erik has in Dave - it’s clearly just to protect value.

Agree with every word.
If I see that skinny virgin sipping Monster outside Affleck’s this summer, I’m showing him this post.

Unread 06-05-2023, 08:33 AM
believe

Quote:

Unread 06-05-2023, 09:00 AM
Ethers

Very good tbf.

It’s just stupid to ignore the effect he has on our wider play though. With him in goal, we can’t play out from the back effectively or with any kind of consistency. It means we can’t control possession, and forces us to rely on counter-attacks or winning the ball in transition to launch most of our attacks. It’s why particularly away from home our games seem to descend into scrappy, disjointed messes because so often we give the ball straight back to the opposition.

People can laugh about the focus on De Gea all they want but it’s blindingly obvious to most United fans now, and the rest will come onboard eventually.

Have a look at these pass maps from the other night ffs And the Brighton keeper wasn’t exactly throwing shots into his net, he was very solid at his primary job. But also managed to not give the ball away to the opposition constantly. Absolutely crazy how that can help a team play better tbf.

Unread 06-05-2023, 09:16 AM
believe

Thought online stats weren’t allowed. What I seen with my own eyes was de Gea making four saves that kept us in the game and us missing four great chances to score. That happens and no one gives a £#%&! who he passes to or not.

Unread 06-05-2023, 09:20 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Thought online stats weren’t allowed. What I seen with my own eyes was de Gea making four saves that kept us in the game and us missing four great chances to score. That happens and no one gives a £#%&! who he passes to or not.

Exhibit A.

Unread 06-05-2023, 09:37 AM
dunk

Quote:
Any keeper makes those saves.

Unread 06-05-2023, 09:41 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Any keeper makes those saves.
Yeah that’s what keepers do, they stop the other team from scoring.

Unread 06-05-2023, 10:18 AM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:

Unread 06-05-2023, 10:21 AM
NedKelly

Quote:

He does need to go though.

Unread 06-05-2023, 10:23 AM
dunk

Quote:
Yeah that’s what keepers do, they stop the other team from scoring.
The point being literally any other keeper in the league improves us, except Lloris tbf, because they will make the saves Dave makes and won’t be an utter £#%&!ing fanny with 2 left feet. So rather than praising him for doing the bare minimum, as you are often wont to do, pay attention to the pile of problems he causes, most of which lead to him having to make saves or him looking helpless as another team grabs a cheap goal to get their dander up and put us further onto the back foot.

Quote:

Many a true word said in jest, even by accident..

Unread 06-05-2023, 10:40 AM
Ethers

For every save he makes which other keepers wouldn’t do (and there are some, although definitely not against Brighton) there’s just as many he lets in that he shouldn’t. Maybe at his peak it was different, but feels like he’s pretty much breaking even in that regard these days.

Regardless, if we could play properly at the back, we would create more chances so the missed ones wouldn’t be as important, and we would concede less chances to the opposition. Not sure how anyone could argue that wouldn’t be a good thing given the way we’ve looked recently

Unread 06-05-2023, 10:41 AM
Dr Stranger

Like it or not, keepers are expected to do more now. Most teams play out from the back to some degree. The best ones have keepers who are good with the ball at their feet. If Alison, Ederson, Raya, Ramsdale, Sanchez weren’t at their respective clubs, De Gea wouldn’t be considered by any of them. It’s why he can’t make the Spain squads too. It’s not just his execution either. It’s the choices he makes. That Sevilla game being an example.

And that’s before we get into how he stays rooted to his line.

Pulling off the occasional reflex save is far less importance than the overall influence on the defence and midfield.

With the way we want to play, he can’t be our number one, long-term. It’s the same as having Maguire as centre back.

He’ll be phased out over the next 12 months.

Unread 06-05-2023, 10:42 AM
dunk

Quote:
For every save he makes which other keepers wouldn’t do (and there are some, although definitely not against Brighton) there’s just as many he lets in that he shouldn’t. Maybe at his peak it was different, but feels like he’s pretty much breaking even in that regard these days.

Regardless, if we could play properly at the back, we would create more chances so the missed ones wouldn’t be as important, and we would concede less chances to the opposition. Not sure how anyone could argue that wouldn’t be a good thing given the way we’ve looked recently
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Like it or not, keepers are expected to do more now. Most teams play out from the back to some degree. The best ones have keepers who are good with the ball at their feet. If Alison, Ederson, Raya, Ramsdale, Sanchez weren’t at their respective clubs, De Gea wouldn’t be considered by any of them. It’s why he can’t make the Spain squads too. It’s not just his execution either. It’s the choices he makes. That Sevilla game being an example.

And that’s before we get into how he stays rooted to his line.

Pulling off the occasional reflex save is far less importance than the overall influence on the defence and midfield.

With the way we want to play, he can’t be our number one, long-term. It’s the same as having Maguire as centre back.

He’ll be phased out over the next 12 months.
glad everyone can see it tbh.