United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 03-12-2023, 08:32 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offerington
Absolutely diabolical performance. One of the worst i can remember in last 20/30 years; was that bad. Completely outplayed, outfought, outworked and out-thought in literally every aspect of the game. How it only ended 1-0, I'll never know. Abysmal.
This with bells on. Putting quality aside (christ) the lack of assertiveness was crazy, nobody able to hold the ball up when under pressure and forget challenging for the second ball.

That and our game management is below dire, we have no clue how to manage any period of away games against competent sides. (home isn’t much better)

Newcastle have passed us already as a squad, who next, Brentford?

Unread 03-12-2023, 09:43 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Absolutely diabolical performance. One of the worst i can remember in last 20/30 years; was that bad. Completely outplayed, outfought, outworked and out-thought in literally every aspect of the game. How it only ended 1-0, I'll never know. Abysmal.
This. It really was that bad.

Unread 03-12-2023, 09:51 AM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Yup.

The opposition are more than happy for Maguire to have the ball, as they know it’s the easiest and quickest way for them to get it back. His inability to pass and move means that, in a second or two, the ball will be back with either him or Onana, with them having no option other than to lump the ball up the park

Unread 03-12-2023, 10:17 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Yep, was seething last night about it. Thought I’d wake up and feel different.

I don’t .

Unacceptable performance from everyone at the club apart from Mainoo and Maguire. Still can’t get over Rashford. What a @#%&!.

Unread 03-12-2023, 10:48 AM
Dr Stranger

Improved and good on him for being a good pro, but he’s not the answer and never was. Same for The Scottish Player. Same for Martial. Same for Rashford. So why are they still getting picked?

I have sympathy for ETH when he has no other option, but not when he doesn’t.

Edit: sorry, Ethers. Posted before I saw your post

Unread 03-12-2023, 11:10 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Two left backs available so he plays a second-choice right back there......

not to mention the loan fee and salary we are wasting on Amrabat and reguillon.
wasted because (a) two left backs available, so he plays a second choice right back there (sergers looked a threat when he came on) and (b) because only a £#%&!ing idiot wouldn't have amrabat and mainoo in away at newcastle in favour of playing all of The Scottish Player, rashford, martial and nacho.

Unread 03-12-2023, 11:16 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
I think that about sums it up tbh.

14 games in and we’ve pretty much looked shocking in every single one bar a few isolated moments.

Unread 03-12-2023, 11:22 AM
NedKelly

No shame in one of the best teams in the league only narrowly beating us. We did well and didn’t make it easy for them.

Unread 03-12-2023, 11:29 AM
larry

we cannot win with maguire and The Scottish Player
it is not complicated
general fan sentiment that maguire's been very good since he came back in hasn't helped the situation either
we must permanently hate and call out this awful man if we want to see change

Unread 03-12-2023, 11:32 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
we cannot win with maguire and The Scottish Player
it is not complicated
general fan sentiment that maguire's been very good since he came back in hasn't helped the situation either
we must permanently hate and call out this awful man if we want to see change
“Don’t boo him”,they said.
“I feel sorry for him”, they cried.

Mentally weak fans have cost us this season. I knew the moment Maguire stayed it was a write off.

Unread 03-12-2023, 11:35 AM
Coracao

At least Maguire is now performing relative to his actual ability. Something which can't be said for the vast majority of the others who probably deserve abuse ahead of him.

Unread 03-12-2023, 11:48 AM
larry

when it comes to playing well and controlling games, maguire at his best is a bigger problem than rashford at his absolute worst
perhaps if we could dump maguire and get licha back in the team, rashford would find some form? and maybe the team would start to find some control of games? just a thought.
until then rashford shouldn't be playing though.

Unread 03-12-2023, 12:34 PM
pedr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
when it comes to playing well and controlling games, maguire at his best is a bigger problem than rashford at his absolute worst
perhaps if we could dump maguire and get licha back in the team, rashford would find some form? and maybe the team would start to find some control of games? just a thought.
until then rashford shouldn't be playing though.

Martinez will not be replacing Maguire. as it stands, it would be the two of them together.
ETH clearly sees some centre backs as LCB and some as RCB, Maguire is getting in ahead of varane not covering for Martinez. btw it's a bit mad that he's so insistent on this but will play a right footer over two actual left backs

Unread 03-12-2023, 12:37 PM
Ethers

I really don’t understand his insistence on the LCB/RCB thing. It would kind of make sense if we were absolutely reliant on playing out from the back in certain patterns, but as shown above, Maguire is absolutely shite at this anyway.

Unread 03-12-2023, 12:41 PM
larry

i didnt say he was directly replacing him
but when licha is fit, maguire is out of the team again or we may as well fold the club

it will be awb lindelof* licha shaw

*todibo in jan

Unread 03-12-2023, 12:51 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
I really don’t understand his insistence on the LCB/RCB thing. It would kind of make sense if we were absolutely reliant on playing out from the back in certain patterns, but as shown above, Maguire is absolutely shite at this anyway.
Yeah, don't remember it being an issue with Bruce/Pally or Vidic/Rio or Johnsen/Stam/Berg etc. Does anyone actually know who was reliant on one foot and totally uncomfortable on the other

Unread 03-12-2023, 01:01 PM
silv

Quote:
and if you’ve got a decent centre mid who can pick the ball up quickly and pass it’s not such a big deal anyway

Unread 03-12-2023, 01:10 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Yeah, don't remember it being an issue with Bruce/Pally or Vidic/Rio or Johnsen/Stam/Berg etc. Does anyone actually know who was reliant on one foot and totally uncomfortable on the other
Nah, it’s just Erik saying “let me know when I can rely on you. I don’t really give a shite which side you prefer or what colour nail varnish you like. Just turn up’’.

Unread 03-12-2023, 01:28 PM
AK14

Quote:
Van Gaal also insisted on it iirc.

Must be a Dutch thing.

Unread 03-12-2023, 02:59 PM
Sparky***